My first day in a boxing class from AKB/TaeKwonDo

If you go with lighter gloves for the bag, the extra weight will make you feel slow when it's time to spar, so for that reason I recommend 16 oz again. If you ever compete (in boxing or mma) your hands will feel like super fast because of the smaller glove weight used in competitions.

A lot of people go with 14 oz for the bag and mits, dunno why. If you go smaller than that, it doesn't protect your hand as much so you might have to dial down the power on the heavy bag.

Some people like tiny gloves (bag gloves) for the heavy bag so they can get a feel for punching accurately with the right part of the fist, etc. You can definitely "feel" it more through the glove and that includes pain if you do something wrong.

I was blasting the heavy bag with these 16 0z. They dont feel heavy at all

I was blasting the heavy bag with these 16 0z. They dont feel heavy at all

Glad to hear that. Just get another pair of 16 oz. It's better for your punching stamina anyways.

Maybe a different color or style so you don't mix them up with your sparring gloves.

Glad to hear that. Just get another pair of 16 oz. It's better for your punching stamina anyways.

Maybe a different color or style so you don't mix them up with your sparring gloves.

A Taekwondo guy asked why you can't move/tuck in your thumb in my gloves. He says I will hurt/jam my thumb in hard sparring. But that's normal construction for a boxing glove, right?

A Taekwondo guy asked why you can't move/tuck in your thumb in my gloves. He says I will hurt/jam my thumb in hard sparring. But that's normal construction for a boxing glove, right?

Some gloves are made like that to where the thumb just sticks out too much and catches on things (painful). I think Fairtex does that a lot from what I've heard. Everlast makes different models of gloves which look different, so I'm not sure how bad it is with your model.

You would have to take a picture and put it up here for us to see if it's that bad or not. There are certainly better and worse gloves as far as thumb design, but people don't talk about it much.

DSC_0092.JPG _20171024_234357.JPG
Some gloves are made like that to where the thumb just sticks out too much and catches on things (painful). I think Fairtex does that a lot from what I've heard. Everlast makes different models of gloves which look different, so I'm not sure how bad it is with your model.

You would have to take a picture and put it up here for us to see if it's that bad or not. There are certainly better and worse gloves as far as thumb design, but people don't talk about it much.

Last edited:

Thanks. The thumb is kinda long and straight instead of curved so it might have a tendancy to catch. Or it might not because it doesnt look like it comes out that far. Kinda inbetween but my guess is that it's probably not going to get caught on things unless you're really unlucky- doesn't look like theres much room to me for it to get caught on anything. If you remember to keep your thumb pulled in when you clench/punch (like you're supposed to) you should be more than fine.

The tiny little black connector strap (that connects the thumb to the index finger side of the glove) is there to keep your thumb from poking out from the glove.

When your hand is in the glove does the thumb poke out? (you can post a pic of the glove with your hand clenched in it if you're not sure) If not then you're good to go.

Also, you can google the name of the model of your glove and the word everlast along with "thumb" and "jam" and/or "catch" and see if anyone else has been having problems. It doesn't look that bad to me.

If you're worried you can always turn these gloves into your bag gloves and buy the next pair for sparring. There are models which have a sideways "bump" on the index-finger side which covers the thumb when you clench-- those are sure not to catch.

_20171025_000259.JPG _20171025_000404.JPG
Thanks. The thumb is kinda long and straight instead of curved so it might have a tendancy to catch. Or it might not because it doesnt look like it comes out that far. Kinda inbetween but my guess is that it's probably not going to get caught on things unless you're really unlucky- doesn't look like theres much room to me for it to get caught on anything. If you remember to keep your thumb pulled in when you clench/punch (like you're supposed to) you should be more than fine.

The tiny little black connector strap (that connects the thumb to the index finger side of the glove) is there to keep your thumb from poking out from the glove.

When your hand is in the glove does the thumb poke out? (you can post a pic of the glove with your hand clenched in it if you're not sure) If not then you're good to go.

Also, you can google the name of the model of your glove and the word everlast along with "thumb" and "jam" and/or "catch" and see if anyone else has been having problems. It doesn't look that bad to me.

But a bigger problem might be that they are too big? I can slip them out of my arm without opening them.

If you're worried you can always turn these gloves into your bag gloves and buy the next pair for sparring. There are models which have a sideways "bump" on the index-finger side which covers the thumb when you clench-- those are sure not to catch.

View attachment 291927 View attachment 291929

But a bigger problem might be that they are too big? I can slip them out of my arm without opening them.

I think I can see what the problem might be and why your friend was a little worried. The thumb pokes up where the knuckle padding ends, so if the knuckles compress, you can jam the thumb.

Try it out on the heavy bag and press on/into the bag to see if you can try to jam the thumb (gently). If the pressure is on the thumb your friend is right. Sparring a human, it's worse because the thumb can snag the eye socket and that's bad news.

Like i said last post, if you're worried just convert these to become your bag gloves (if you haven't been having problems with your thumb taking impact already) and get a safer looking par for your sparring gloves.

I think I can see what the problem might be and why your friend was a little worried. The thumb pokes up where the knuckle padding ends, so if the knuckles compress, you can jam the thumb.

Try it out on the heavy bag and press on/into the bag to see if you can try to jam the thumb (gently). If the pressure is on the thumb your friend is right. Sparring a human, it's worse because the thumb can snag the eye socket and that's bad news.

Like i said last post, if you're worried just convert these to become your bag gloves (if you haven't been having problems with your thumb taking impact already) and get a safer looking par for your sparring gloves.

Note that he's a pure 3rd Dan TaeKwondo/ITF black belt competitor , he doesn't know shit about boxing gloves. Btw, can you tell from the pictures if the material used in the glove is shitty walmart quality or not?

Note that he's a pure 3rd Dan TaeKwondo/ITF black belt competitor , he doesn't know shit about boxing gloves. Btw, can you tell from the pictures if the material used in the glove is shitty walmart quality or not?

That was my first thought as well, and he might be wrong, but the thumbs on those do look awfully long and straight so he might have a point. I guess you'll find out soon enough. It can be hard to tell by just looking.

The stitching looks ok, and the material looks okay as far as I can tell, but I can't tell what material is inside the gloves or how that will holdup (a lot of cheap/poor gloves look good from the outside). Also the angles that the glove is sewn together (glove geometry) are kinda weird for SOME Everlast models. From what I've heard of Everlast, they will likely unzip from regular use pretty quickly unless they are the top dollar models, which is why the gear subforum calls refers to them as "NeverLast." As long as they don't injure you or anyone else from their use, I'd keep using them (at least on the bag, if you haven't been having any issues).

That was my first thought as well, and he might be wrong, but the thumbs on those do look awfully long and straight so he might have a point. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

The stitching looks ok, and the material looks okay as far as I can tell, but I can't tell what material is inside the gloves or how that will holdup (a lot of cheap/poor gloves look good from the outside). Also the angles that the glove is sewn together are kinda weird for SOME Everlast models. From what I've heard of Everlast, they will likely unzip from regular use pretty quickly, which is why the gear subforum calls refers to them as "NeverLast." As long as they don't injure you or anyone else from their use, I'd keep using them.

He joked that I will poke his eye out in sparring. I actually used them in my Kickboxing sparring just for fun, against him:) Do you know what the Everlast level indicators are? My gloves are level 1, there are 3 levels

Do you guys know if Everlast lost quality with the change in owners, so that the gloves Tyson worn in the 80s religiously are actually much better or is it more the case that rival companies have surpassed them?

He joked that I will poke his eye out in sparring. I actually used them in my Kickboxing sparring just for fun, against him:)

Well that's kinda dickish, Lol.

Do you know what the Everlast level indicators are? My gloves are level 1, there are 3 levels

I found it in the description from this video

"Everlast offers 3 levels of equipment with level 1 being the basic product line and level 3 being the pro line."

Last edited:
To be fair. Pro line Everest gloves were already reportedly wrecked after 6 rounds in Thrilla in Manilla, although given how hard Joe Frazier punches maybe that's not too strange (Foreman said his legs were shaking in their stand off out of fear about Fraziers power).
And two pairs in a row broke in Donald Curry fight. The quality had deteriorated already in the 70s, well before Tyson worn them

Wow.. 70 dollars for a basic product line. Tysons Everlast look a bit different if you compare them with mine.. http://static.boxrec.com/thumb/4/4b/TillisTyson.jpg/250px-TillisTyson.jpg

Yeah, pros are always going to wear top of the line (its free for them). Plus at least some of them get their gloves custom done before every fight (I saw this in a Prince Naseem documentary).

Over the years, the models change and the Everlast company has changed owners and manufacturers several times (for the worse). You should go and click on the yahoo link I posted in post #94, it contains some very interesting information.

Yeah, pros are always going to wear top of the line (its free for them). Plus at least some of them get their gloves custom done before every fight (I saw this in a Prince Naseem documentary).

Over the years, the models change and the Everlast company has changed owners and manufacturers several times (for the worse). You should go and click on the yahoo link I posted in post #94, it contains some very interesting information.

Mines felt kinda stiff when I put them on, but the moment I punched the bag, I loved them. Very strange. It feels like I am able to punch harder than with the gyms 14 Oz gloves, I believe the gym used a brand named Hook.

Mines felt kinda stiff when I put them on, but the moment I punched the bag, I loved them. Very strange. It feels like I am able to punch harder than with the gyms 14 Oz gloves, I believe the gym used a brand named Hook.

Some of them will be surprisingly okay. Glad it works. If they work for you that's the most important. Keep using them until they don't.

For your money you can get better, or get similar for a lot less. Title is a good cheap brand.

For the same amount of money, I'd recommend TWINS gloves. A lot of kickboxers use those and I've been punched by them, they're great. I like BOON gloves a lot, which are around that price.

For like 30 to 50 dollars more, you can get some international custom gloves. There are several boutique glove makers who live in the gear forum, you should go there next for advice.

The undisputed king of fall gloves is Winning brand from Japan, those are like 200 dollars but they supposedly work and feel like heaven.

Last edited:
Yeah some of them will be surprisingly okay. Glad it works. If they work for you that's the most important. Keep using them until they don't.

For your money you can get better, or get similar for a lot less. Title is a good cheap brand.

For the same amount of money, I'd recommend TWINS gloves. A lot of kickboxers use those and I've been punched by them, they're great. I like BOON gloves a lot, which are around that price.

For like 30 to 50 dollars more, you can get some international custom gloves. There are several boutique glove makers who live in the gear forum, you should go there next for advice.

The undisputed king of fall gloves is Winning brand from Japan, those are like 200 dollars but they supposedly work and feel like heaven.

Here are my specific gloves sold in the UK store :https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fighter-leather-boxing-gloves-id_8388841.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back