My first day in a boxing class from AKB/TaeKwonDo

And sparring this beginner was completely meaningless training. It was target practice. I need someone at least intermediate level.

We want vids! We want vids!

These beginner classes are just waste of time. There's a screaming, demented old boxing coach who wants power and stand everybody in line to punch. Then he came to me and just walked past and mumbled... Fucker

Last edited:
These beginner classes are just waste of time. There's a screaming, demented old boxing coach who wants power and stand everybody in line to punch. Then he came to me and just walked past and mumbled... Fucker

Sounds like you're making a great impression at the gym.

Modern boxing coaches want horizontal hooks, I do old school vertical. My authority on the subject is none other than Jack Dempsey. A vertical hook is exactly what I threw and he didn't correct me, unlike the guy next to me. I was quite surprised by that.

Modern boxing coaches want horizontal hooks, I do old school vertical. My authority on the subject is none other than Jack Dempsey. A vertical hook is exactly what I threw and he didn't correct me, unlike the guy next to me. I was quite surprised by that.

He probably knows that you'll spout some bullshit like "yeah you say horizontal but Dempsey says vertical so I'm going to do it vertical." and he figured it wasn't worth it.

You're probably coming off as uncoachable.

Get a private lesson with the coach, work on the basics, try to develop some kind of chemistry or else you won't be invited to the harder classes, you won't be respected by your team mates, and you won't progress.

He probably knows that you'll spout some bullshit like "yeah you say horizontal but Dempsey says vertical so I'm going to do it vertical." and he figured it wasn't worth it.

You're probably coming off as uncoachable.

Get a private lesson with the coach, work on the basics, try to develop some kind of chemistry or else you won't be invited to the harder classes, you won't be respected by your team mates, and you won't progress.

Boxing is not dogmatic like martial arts. It's only in beginner classes quarells occur. But why anybody would argue against vertical hooks is beyond me. Jack Dempsey is one of the greatest boxers of all time, and his fucking instructional was that of a vertical hook, not horizontal. He fought both in the bareknuckle and glove era.

Boxing is not dogmatic like martial arts. It's only in beginner classes quarells occur. But why anybody would argue against vertical hooks is beyond me. Jack Dempsey is one of the greatest boxers of all time, and his fucking instructional was that of a vertical hook, not horizontal. He fought both in the bareknuckle and glove era.

Honestly, I pray you never take up Muay Thai (and I'm not even religious).

Bud you're a total beginner and already giving friction with your coach.

Don't matter what the GOAT fighters do, at the entry level you have to do things to have a foundation. You're looking into having fancy decor and windows when your base isn't even there

Bud you're a total beginner and already giving friction with your coach.

Don't matter what the GOAT fighters do, at the entry level you have to do things to have a foundation. You're looking into having fancy decor and windows when your base isn't even there

I wasn't arguing with him. I threw the vertical hook anyway when it was my turn and he said "good". But he did correct my partner and that bugged the hell out of me, because Jack Dempsey is my idol.

whats a vertical hook?

try it against the heavy bag. You get much more support for your wrist, enabling you to punch harder

I guess it depends on the angle. I'm not very good with hooks but it feels stable both ways. I've seen boxers use both and I think they both have their place. For right now I would just listen to your coach tho.

I can't for whatever reason throw horizontal hooks with power. Never could.

well, you just started boxing. It takes time to get power with some strikes compared to others even after being shown the proper technique. I didnt just start throwing great front kicks from day one and I'm sure that applies to hooks aswell. Also, just because a strike doesnt feel strong, you really don't know how effective it will be till you use it in sparring. With the right angle and placement a horizontal hook could work for you and would give your sparring partner different looks.

If hand position is the thing keeping you from generating power, then the technique needs improvement. Like all strikes in boxing, really the arm isn't anything but dead weight. Everything's done from loading and weight transfer.

Power on a hook is kind of a counter-intuitive thing, it feels flimsy when you get the technique right, but its heaps stronger. Are you following through on the hook or just landing at the target?

A Guy has a video on it and its a good one also.

Back