My House - Amazing Doom2 Mod - Seriously Unreal

Scerpi

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was a huge Doom 2 fan way back and even made a few lame custom maps, nothing major though.

My daughter knows this and told me I needed to check out this mod. (We've played the recent Doom versions together).

Anyway, the less said the better. It was originally posted in the Doomworld mod forum... Just a subtle presentation without much fanfare.

Myhousepk3_title.png

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/
Veddge - March 3, 2023
Excited to finally release this tribute map. Last August I lost a good childhood friend of mine and took it pretty hard. When I was visiting my hometown for his funeral, I connected with his parents who shared with me some of his old belongings. Among them was a copy of an old map of his backed up on a 3.5” floppy from high school. Thomas and I were into amateur Doom mapping in the early 00s but I had never seen this map of his prior to uncovering it on one of the old floppy discs. As a way of paying tribute to him and all the great memories we had together, I took the plunge and installed Doom Builder in order to polish up his map and add a few modern amenities just for convenience sake.

Now... If you're like me these days. You don't have a ton of time to dump into getting all this running. I'm more of a pick up and play when I can these day. So I watched a walkthru video on it.

Honestly, the less said the better. Best experienced with zero knowledge going in. Whether you watch the video (or other youtube players) or decided to play it yourself, which I would highly recommend if you're a fan of Doom, especially Doom 2.

As best said by a few of the posters in the Doomworld Thread above.

Not Jabba - Holy shit.

Jaws in Space - I played this on Sunday & I've got to say this is fantastic map. At first it seems like a typical My House WAD with a lot of Doom cute details, but it evolves into something so much more amazing.

Scuba Steve - What the fuck did I just play?

Here's the Walkthrough video in case you're not interested in playing. I know it's long, but well worth to see what a guy (or a team) can do with a 30 year old game engine

Also for fun... Read the thread posted above. It's fun to see the poster realizing this mod is so much more than how it was presented. Turned into a group effort to mutually discover everything possible.

The Mod is a tribute to the novel, House of Leaves, if you've heard of it. I hadn't before this I saw this mod.

The now author(i believe) posted a review of it a few months back after he discovered the disk. Somehow it came across my feed back then. Was a interesting story and map design.

Caught that Youtube video that covered it, got me interested a couple months back. A nice spooky late night watch. Downloaded it, still haven't installed.

Caught that Youtube video that covered it, got me interested a couple months back. A nice spooky late night watch. Downloaded it, still haven't installed.

It’s impressive he (they?) were able to modify the game engine basics to allow things like multiple levels.

Basically that was impossible previously with Doom 2 being basically a 2D game that looks 3D.

I think Duke Nukem was the first FPS that was a true 3D environment

But that pales in comparison to the twist and turns the mod takes. Must have taken a shit ton of time to complete

Interesting video and game mod.

Cool to see people make things like this mod just for the fun of the game. ..even with the somewhat serious theme of events going on in the said game. Creator was very creative.

Also check out ramp 2023 map 166

Never. Everyone and their dog and their dogs dogs have done videos on this it's over saturated as fuck lol

It's almost annoying how much ppl don't shut up about this

Rather focus on maps that get a billion times less attention

Speaking of which, I got myself a gaming laptop back in November. Do you have like a profile or anything over on Doomworld or Moddb or anywhere else that would link to all the maps you’ve created? I know you did that megawad like a year or two ago and I wanted to give that a whirl sometime. If there’s anywhere that I could find the “definitive Clippy collection” that would be awesome.

Speaking of which, I got myself a gaming laptop back in November. Do you have like a profile or anything over on Doomworld or Moddb or anywhere else that would link to all the maps you’ve created? I know you did that megawad like a year or two ago and I wanted to give that a whirl sometime. If there’s anywhere that I could find the “definitive Clippy collection” that would be awesome.

You are in luck my friend. Or I am

The doom community blessed me with this doom wiki page with links

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Clippy_Clippington

Also this video happened recently and I'm in the chat

Also if u play discord you can catch me there too I have fun chatroom we talk about chicken n furniture etc

It’s impressive he (they?) were able to modify the game engine basics to allow things like multiple levels.

Basically that was impossible previously with Doom 2 being basically a 2D game that looks 3D.

But that pales in comparison to the twist and turns the mod takes. Must have taken a shit ton of time to complete

Duke Nukem 3D used the Build engine which had pretty much the same limitations as the Doom engine, being more of a “2.5D” game. If you looked up in Duke you’d see this weird warped look on the sprites being stretched out. Quake was the first truly 3D engine for an fps back in the day.

You are in luck my friend. Or I am

The doom community blessed me with this doom wiki page with links

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Clippy_Clippington

Also this video happened recently and I'm in the chat

Also if u play discord you can catch me there too I have fun chatroom we talk about chicken n furniture etc

Looking forward to checking them out!

Never. Everyone and their dog and their dogs dogs have done videos on this it's over saturated as fuck lol

It's almost annoying how much ppl don't shut up about this

Rather focus on maps that get a billion times less attention

Well shit… lol

I didn’t realize it was already played out

It was new to me dammit!

Duke Nukem 3D used the Build engine which had pretty much the same limitations as the Doom engine, being more of a “2.5D” game. If you looked up in Duke you’d see this weird warped look on the sprites being stretched out. Quake was the first truly 3D engine for an fps back in the day.

yeah I remember

I also remember being super excited to fly around and do things that weren’t possible in Doom

Guess I was referring to more of a 3D environment. But the graphics were still 2D

So I started playing this late last night. Went for about an hour or two before realizing it was 2am and calling it a night. It’s pretty cool, but also frustrating as I’ve hit multiple “dead ends” that have taken like 10+ minutes to figure out what to do next to prompt the map to “change”. On the one hand I don’t want to spoil anything for myself by watching a walk through, but on the other hand I don’t want to spend 10+ hours on this as I struggle to figure out what to “do” next.

Presently where I am I’ve been through the burned out version of the house and killed the weird monsters there, and am in kind of a loop going between there and the apartment building or whatever it is - not sure what to do next

Quake.

Finally finished this last night. Was pretty amazing. Unfortunately I needed a guide, otherwise I never would have been able to find the “true” ending, and would have just assumed that getting out the of the house after it burns down and the lot is for sale was the end, kind of like John Romero who also only played to that point. Never would have found the mirror house or the bath house on my own.

Pretty amazing what people are able to create in Doom. GOAT video game.

Back