Social NBA Coach, "White people need to be made uncomfortable"

Do white people need to be made uncomfortable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
America doesn't discriminate. China actively removes black people and Japanese people from marketing signage.
i'll give you a scenario, when the first Irish settlers came to America, and experienced prejudiced by the Anglo-Americans, would you call Americans racist against Irish People during that time?

You have minimal understanding of social structure. Handouts are exactly why some neighbourhoods are thriving and others are in poverty. The right amount of money going to the right place allowing things to work. Why do you think there are so many neighbourhoods were a literal block makes all the difference in the quality of life? It's not because people on street A are all working harder in unison than people on street B.

Certain demographics being more likely to receive help or be let off the hook rather than thrown into the system and ignored are exactly why some demographics look worse than others. People were quick to point out how many black people get arrested and convicted ITT but not to point out how much more likely a white kid is to get let off on his charges. These are not just issues of hard working vs lazy as much as you would like to believe and while "working hard" can carve out a decent life for SOME, it is ignorant as fuck to think that applies to everyone especially people who are systematically fucked.

How about you come down off your hiking trails and actually expose yourself to this environment instead of standing their reciting shit you've read on Huffington Post.

who said that they were scrub?

it's about running an organisation top to bottom

That's hyperbole based on you downgrading Jackson's coaching resume based on talent while ignoring that Pop hasn't won shit without the (supposed) greatest PF ever.

It's not always the majority as we saw in apartheid South Africa, it's more "the group in power privilege". Also after the Age of Enlightenment and Scientific Revolution, Europe advanced much faster and colonized the rest of the world. Because of this, white people are more often than not the standard of beauty, power, wealth and status around the world. That's really what white privilege means.

I agree that it is possible for a minority group to have disproportionate power. People often site Jews as an example of this. But, that doesn't really apply to white people in majority white nations (where white privilege theory is being promoted out of the Marxist camp)

Under such a condition where a minority group holds such power, majority privilege is lessened but it still exists.

There is some truth to white people being viewed with a positive bias of sorts, in some contexts. I hear examples that this is not uncommon in the Asian world (as they compete themselves and emulation of what they view as success is a part of that). I'm not sure what the average white person can do about that though, and it doesn't have anything to do with the complaints of black identity activists from what I can tell.

How about you come down off your hiking trails and actually expose yourself to this environment instead of standing their reciting shit you've read on Huffington Post.

what's funny is that you keep bringing up hard work and all this other bullshit as if all of the high profile names taking part in these protests and are raising awareness for social injustice haven't worked harder than you, many of them coming from awful childhood situations.. yet they still agree that "hard work" isn't the only solution.. not even close. there are four star generals, there are professional athletes, there are army veterans, there are ivy league professors, the list goes on of hard working, successful people all speaking out about this shit..

but oh, no! hard working "Luminaire" of Sherdog who works hard has the REAL answers. get over yourself lmao

It's absolutely key that the privilege attach to race and not to, you know, an actually privileged upbringing.

The concept of white privilege has several important uses, not listed in order of importance:

1. It's a great way to tell white people to shut up without having to address their concerns or arguments. Weirdly, this often works even if the one shutting things down is also white.

2. It allows the privileged classes to feel better about checking their white privilege, as if they were humble or woke, without addressing their more important class related privileges.

3. It becomes a way of identifying racist forces where they are otherwise undetectable. The mere presence of a honky suffices to introduce a plausible theory of racial oppression in any given situation.

4. It allows Ivy League grads born with silver spoons in their mouths to speak truth to power by lecturing poor whites from the trailer park. Nothing better than holding the lower classes in contempt and lecturing them for their privilege at the same time.

I despise the people you are describing, as a middle-class working white guy, but I think it's a little unfair to ascribe this to the comments in the OP. Currently, and historically, white guys control almost all of the political and economic institutions in America. They, in turn, get their power from white people of many backgrounds. It's simply fact that to affect social change, you have to put a dent in their impression of their ownership as being the status quo. The civil rights movement was a perfect example of this, it hit white people in their comfort and their wallets, which is a perfect pairing.

My main problem with BLM, anthem protests, Anti-fa, etc. is that I think they pick their targets and mediums poorly. Rioting over criminals being shot, millionaires kneeling before sporting events, defacing public monuments, it all seems to empty and erratic. Especially in the case of the athletes, they have huge potential to affect positive change in communities through speaking, organizations, and donations, and many do. But they are basically taking the "we recycle" approach to activism. I think in the general sense that Popovich is right about how to affect social change though, and most of the people in this thread are being pretty obtuse.

Imagine if this was in reverse and he said that black people need to be more appreciative.

It's amazing how Trump will say something stupid and these progressive morons will say something way stupider. I wonder if that's the entire purpose of the President stirring the pot in the first place.

Ok, but I didn't provide metrics so I don't know why your brought it up. Strawman city.

It's not a strawman. It's the argument for the existence of white privilege in its most common form. Your argument was simply "white privilege is obviously true". I don't find it obvious and I am skeptical that it is true. You mocked @goldennirvana for "having a really deep point" for simply alleging that white privilege doesn't exist, but your claim is the mirror image of his, with precisely the same depth.

1865 is when it ended. Great argument. Almost as good as the strawman you just pulled.

You said we were one or two generations removed from legal segregation and one more generation removed from slavery. Two, maybe three generations was the estimate you gave of how from we are removed from slavery. How many people do you think live in the US whose parents or grandparents were slaves in the US?
And it's like you're purposefully ignoring that we are a generation or two (depending on age) from a period in time where blacks literally didn't have the same rights and one more generation from them being owned as property. So aside from facing racism today, you have those facts as well.

I brought it up mainly because you argumentatively acted as if this is something I'm ignorant of and asserted that they are facts that need consideration , and you are acting as if I'm taking a cheap shot? I'm not, you made a mistake and I corrected it.

I think you make a strong point to be made about the way the history of blacks unfolded in this country, if you are trying to show how blacks may be at a disadvantage in several key ways, but back disadvantage =/= white privilege. We don't live in a black and white only country, and other racial groups have the same or greater advantages over blacks that you claim whites enjoy.

WTF Dude, I think you're trying to say that crack is more potent and concentrated than powered cocaine am I right? But if you're insisting 5 gm of crack weighs more than 5 gm of coke then you're just a fucking moron.

Jesus Christ can no one read?

No other people would ever stand for this shit in their own countries. Whites are unique cucks. It sucks.

i'll give you a scenario, when the first Irish settlers came to America, and experienced prejudiced by the Anglo-Americans, would you call Americans racist against Irish People during that time?

Today that doesn't happen kiddo. This is a modern context. Not 1600s. Yes there was prejudice and racism against Irish people. It doesn't matter if they are the same color skin. You can be racist and prejudice vs people of the same background as yourself.

No other people would ever stand for this shit in their own countries. Whites are unique cucks. It sucks.

Don't feel too bad. White people are being subjected to serious brainwashing and manipulation. Any group of people would succumb to the tactics being employed by intelligent people that have figured out how to herd the flock.

That's hyperbole based on you downgrading Jackson's coaching resume based on talent while ignoring that Pop hasn't won shit without the (supposed) greatest PF ever.

it's one thing to have the greatest pf, who by the way just retired and the spurs were up on gsw before kahwi was brutally gooned by zaza

jackson won 6 with Mike literally the greatest ever

what's funny is that you keep bringing up hard work and all this other bullshit as if all of the high profile names taking part in these protests and are raising awareness for social injustice haven't worked harder than you, many of them coming from awful childhood situations.. yet they still agree that "hard work" isn't the only solution.. not even close. there are four star generals, there are professional athletes, there are army veterans, there are ivy league professors, the list goes on of hard working, successful people all speaking out about this shit..

but oh, no! hard working "Luminaire" of Sherdog who works hard has the REAL answers. get over yourself lmao

"All these high profile people that have worked harder than you."

"All these HIGH PROFILE people, that have WORKED HARDER than you"

The first few words out of most every successful person's mouth when asked what the key to their success is, will somehow revolve around "hard work".

Again the question becomes, how do you fix broken people? How do I convince a person to work hard and put one foot in front of the other, and persevere, and keep on even when things don't go their way, to treat other people well, to be utterly selfless with their children, to put the well being of their family ahead of their own shitty gratifications?

Do you have an answer for that? So far all you've come up with is the vague "funding" but I've already TOLD you, this is an issue money doesn't fix.

Side note: One of the most underrated qualities of white people in my opinion is just how quickly they cast aside their own... what happened to Cousin John? he got in to drugs and is a fuck up, we don't talk to him anymore. Sweet.

Wow. All this time he was really as dumb as he looked.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/25/nba-coach-white-people-especially-need-to-be-made-uncomfortable/

"Well, because it’s uncomfortable, and there has to be an uncomfortable element in the discourse for anything to change. Whether it’s the LGBT movement, women’s suffrage, race, it doesn’t matter. People have to be made to feel uncomfortable, and especially white people because we’re comfortable. We still have no clue of what being born white means,” he stated.

“If you read some of the recent literature, you’ll realize there really is no such thing as whiteness, but we kind of made that up. That’s not my original thought, but it’s true,” Popovich said.

He added, “Because you were born white, you have advantages that are systemically, culturally, psychologically there. And they have been built up and cemented for hundreds of years. But many people can’t look at it. It’s too difficult.”

“It can’t be something that is on their plate on a daily basis. People want to hold their position, people want the status quo, people don’t want to give that up. And until it’s given up, it’s not going to be fixed,” the coach stated.

Imagine saying black people or latinos need to be made uncomfortable.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back