NBA vs NHL: Golden State Warriors Refuse White House Visit/Pittsburgh Penguins Will Accept

DIdnt even know the warriors won. Pens can do whatever they want after winning two cups in a row.

DIdnt even know the warriors won. Pens can do whatever they want after winning two cups in a row.

Oh yeah, you're near Pittsburgh

Flyers fan here. Feels fucking bad man.

I remember the backlash Tim Thomas got when he didn't go visit Obama after the Bruins won the cup.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are popping by the White House today to celebrate their latest Stanley Cup title ... in what they hope will be a politics-free visit with Donald Trump.

“From my side of things, there’s absolutely no politics involved,” Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said on Monday. “Hopefully it stays that way."

The team echoed Sid's sentiment when they accepted Trump's invite last month.

Hard to say if that's how it'll go down, though ... considering POTUS' beefs with the NFL's national anthem protesters and Stephen Curry's Golden State Warriors.

What a bunch of self righteous assholes. Why dont they ask Dennis Rodman how racist Trump is towards black people? Or the dozens of black celebrities he had on his shows.

haha because he had them on his shows?? O boy

NHL > nba

tumblr_m3j8w1FpYG1qgpjvwo1_500.gif

200.webp

Hockey is awesome! As mentioned, 2 very different cultures both of fans and players.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are popping by the White House today to celebrate their latest Stanley Cup title ... in what they hope will be a politics-free visit with Donald Trump.

“From my side of things, there’s absolutely no politics involved,” Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said on Monday. “Hopefully it stays that way."

The team echoed Sid's sentiment when they accepted Trump's invite last month.

Hard to say if that's how it'll go down, though ... considering POTUS' beefs with the NFL's national anthem protesters and Stephen Curry's Golden State Warriors.

It will stay non-political. The Penguins will show up, act respectful, shake hands with the president and be on their way. Unlike the nba and nfl, acting like an idiot is largely frowned upon in the NHL.

Not a good look for the NHL.

Showing up to the White House and respectfully shaking hands with the president is not a good look? If anything, the country needs to see millionaire athletes behaving with dignity and showing respect to the country that has given them so much. Regardless of what you feel about Trump, there is still a larger symbolism to showing up to the White House and shaking hands with the President. It is a gesture of respect to the country.

The USA could use some examples of civility which is something that has not been on display for quite some time, especially from celebrities and athletes who have set terrible examples in regards to language and behavior. I don't see how they have behaved any better than Trump. What makes their name calling and childish behavior any better than what Trump is doing?

Good for the Penguins organization for finally setting an example of how to behave with dignity.

Sidney Crosby is a true leader:

-gUyOPvzR98.jpg

{<redford}

I am predicting a decline in NBA viewership, ticket sales, and merchandise sales now. Unless, the NBA corrects course.

Go or don't go - who cares. Clinton couldn't even pronounce Yzerman properly when the Red Wings went. President's don't have time to get invested in sports when they're in office.

I disagree with this though -
“We respect the office of the presidency of the United States and what it stands for,” he said. “Any opposition or disagreement with a president’s policies, or agenda, can be expressed in other ways.”
They're basically saying you gotta grin and bare it, glad hand and smile like a mook for the President that day. It's not like you're going to be allowed to speak to the President about your disagreements. So the best way to get your counter message out is to boycott rather than be grinning like a chump in the official portrait.

The Penguins organization is not telling players to grin and bare it. "We respect the office of the presidency of the United States" does not mean they have to like the president. It means they respect the position and what it stands for. It is a symbolic gesture.

What is acting like a bunch of whiny babies going to change anyway? Acting with maturity and civility will get you a lot farther than pulling childish stunts and jumping on the Anti-Trump fad.

Back