Need a new axe

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I have a fiberglass handle Fiskars which is made of the softest metal I've ever used. It's one of the worst products I've ever bought. I've been chopping shit with this pos for 5 years and I'm sick of it. I'm not felling any trees I just chop logs into firewood. Recommend me a full length handle axe.

I love smoking a little weed and chopping wood when I'm camping. It's just the best thing ever. I've always had issues with wooden axes falling apart but Estwings are build from solid fucking steel. Would recommend.

E45A_1024x1024.jpg

I have an Estwing 26 inch axe but I don't use it very often. I used it mainly to split wood for campfires.
61E-cX54kRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought it because it became difficult to find good wooden handles for my old double bit axe. Good Hickory is hard to find because of the disease so I decided to buy the steel handled Estwing.

Maybe you could use some hardfacing welding rod on the edge of the Fiskars. One of my grandfathers was born in 1887 and was a lumberjack at the time that trees were cut with axes and man powered saws. He got into making handles and sharpening axes because it was less work than swinging an axe or pulling a saw handle. He learned from others how to harden and temper the axe heads as well as how to carve handles with a draw knife.

I love smoking a little weed and chopping wood when I'm camping. It's just the best thing ever. I've always had issues with wooden axes falling apart but Estwings are build from solid fucking steel. Would recommend.

E45A_1024x1024.jpg
Been eying an eastwing for a while but they are unavailable in yurrp :-(

I have an Estwing 26 inch axe but I don't use it very often. I used it mainly to split wood for campfires.
61E-cX54kRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought it because it became difficult to find good wooden handles for my old double bit axe. Good Hickory is hard to find because of the disease so I decided to buy the steel handled Estwing.

Maybe you could use some hardfacing welding rod on the edge of the Fiskars. One of my grandfathers was born in 1887 and was a lumberjack at the time that trees were cut with axes and man powered saws. He got into making handles and sharpening axes because it was less work than swinging an axe or pulling a saw handle. He learned from others how to harden and temper the axe heads as well as how to carve handles with a draw knife.
That s so fucking awesome. My ancestry is likely filled with lumberjacks but none of that was transmitted to me :-(

Gransfors Bruks splitting axe.
https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/butik/products/splitting-axes-en/

Forged Swedish steel head so it's a lot harder than most other axes, and it's designed for splitting as opposed to being a general purpose axe. Yes they're expensive and some models are often sold out, but they're worth every penny if you do a lot of axe work.

I have a fiberglass handle Fiskars which is made of the softest metal I've ever used. It's one of the worst products I've ever bought. I've been chopping shit with this pos for 5 years and I'm sick of it. I'm not felling any trees I just chop logs into firewood. Recommend me a full length handle axe.

Like, you are chopping long logs into smaller lengths for eventual splitting?

Or you are splitting logs length-wise into multiple smaller pieces for your heating appliance?

Get a maul for splitting, felling axe for chopping.

I like the Garrett Wade mid-weight splitting axe.

Back