Need a new axe

I use a maul for splitting rounds. I'm gonna buy something smaller though for splitting smaller stuff. Good thread

I have a fiberglass handle Fiskars which is made of the softest metal I've ever used. It's one of the worst products I've ever bought. I've been chopping shit with this pos for 5 years and I'm sick of it. I'm not felling any trees I just chop logs into firewood. Recommend me a full length handle axe.

What did you end up buying?

Gransfors or Hults is all I really use. Husky had a decent axe with a Swedish forged head that was reasonably priced.

I have a fiberglass handle Fiskars which is made of the softest metal I've ever used. It's one of the worst products I've ever bought. I've been chopping shit with this pos for 5 years and I'm sick of it. I'm not felling any trees I just chop logs into firewood. Recommend me a full length handle axe.
I was expecting this to be about your wife, body spray, or guitar. Was not expecting a thread about needing a new to axe to actually be about an axe.

I like efficiency lol

Edit- I come from an area where we burned alot of wood. Would cut up a semi truck load every fall

It's not more efficient to chop firewood with a chainsaw, though. Obviously a saw is necessary for bucking logs into rounds, but you don't wanna be ripping rounds into firewood unless you come across the one in a million unbelievably difficult, knotty, contorted monster of a piece of wood or you're cutting firewood for bonfires or something.

If you wanna talk efficient wood splitting, you can't do better than one of these badboys. I've bucked and split a couple of semi loads of logs in the fall in my day, and I've split thousands of cords of wood outside of that. These things are awesome, but be warned, I've seen 3 otherwise competent, intelligent people catch their hands in these things and get injured. Luckily no tendons or nerves severed, nothing that wouldnt heal:
Boss Industrial 32 Ton Horizontal Vertical Gas Log Splitter (WD32T ...

It's not more efficient to chop firewood with a chainsaw, though. Obviously a saw is necessary for bucking logs into rounds, but you don't wanna be ripping rounds into firewood unless you come across the one in a million unbelievably difficult, knotty, contorted monster of a piece of wood or you're cutting firewood for bonfires or something.

If you wanna talk efficient wood splitting, you can't do better than one of these badboys. I've bucked and split a couple of semi loads of logs in the fall in my day, and I've split thousands of cords of wood outside of that. These things are awesome, but be warned, I've seen 3 otherwise competent, intelligent people catch their hands in these things and get injured. Luckily no tendons or nerves severed, nothing that wouldnt heal:
Boss Industrial 32 Ton Horizontal Vertical Gas Log Splitter (WD32T ...
I agree 100% with everything you said.
But TS said cutting firewood, not splitting it lol. I figured he meant splitting, but couldn't resist being a smart-ass.

Edit- he said chopping logs into firewood. With the wording I envisioned him chopping a log into firewood lengths with his axe haha

Also, very fitting username for the subject lol

I love smoking a little weed and chopping wood when I'm camping. It's just the best thing ever. I've always had issues with wooden axes falling apart but Estwings are build from solid fucking steel. Would recommend.

E45A_1024x1024.jpg

I have an Estwing 26 inch axe but I don't use it very often. I used it mainly to split wood for campfires.
61E-cX54kRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought it because it became difficult to find good wooden handles for my old double bit axe. Good Hickory is hard to find because of the disease so I decided to buy the steel handled Estwing.

Maybe you could use some hardfacing welding rod on the edge of the Fiskars. One of my grandfathers was born in 1887 and was a lumberjack at the time that trees were cut with axes and man powered saws. He got into making handles and sharpening axes because it was less work than swinging an axe or pulling a saw handle. He learned from others how to harden and temper the axe heads as well as how to carve handles with a draw knife.

+1 to this specific axe. Only downside is it's relatively short for a 2-hander but it does the job well for small trees. I got this after 2 full size wooden handle axes from Home Depot split on me chopping small trees in my backyard. This also works great for chopping up overgrown tree roots in the ground that you can't get to with a chainsaw.

However, there are limits. I tried to chop through the 2 foot diameter trunk of a dead tree in my yard, and after more than an hour, my neighbor heard me cursing and huffing and puffing, and came out with his chainsaw to help me finish the job. I bought my own chainsaw the following weekend and highly recommend one for any branch >4 inch diameter or so.

Been eying an eastwing for a while but they are unavailable in yurrp :-(

Bro, don't you guys have all kinds of old school cool as hell axes available? One of the brands I've seen is Gransfors Bruk which is expensive as shit hipster stuff in the U.S. but looks like super quality. Anything Estwing looks like it would be slumming it compared to that.

Back