New Lynching Memorial Offers Chance to Remember and Heal

No offense, but you began this thread believing that the vast majority of lynchings occurred in the North. It is common knowledge that the South had the vast majority of lynchings, which leads me to believe you are really not very well read.

Here you go bright boy. Remember this reply to you? If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

My mistake. You are right. 300 from the North. Have not had my cup of coffee today...

As for the rest of your statements - nice trolling.

Story: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...e-to-remember-heal/ar-AAw8Q0S?ocid=spartanntp

"A new memorial for victims of hate-inspired lynchings that terrorized generations of U.S. blacks -- The National Memorial for Peace and Justice, opening Thursday, is a project of the nonprofit Equal Justice Initiative, a legal advocacy group in Montgomery, Alabama. The organization says the combined museum and memorial will be the nation's first site to document racial inequality in America from slavery through Jim Crow to the issues of today. The site includes a memorial to the victims of 4,400 "terror lynchings" of black people in 800 U.S. counties from 1877 through 1950. All but about 300 were in the South, and prosecutions were rare in any of the cases.

Ok, can someone explain to me why we need this memorial? So, Confederate monuments get to come down and this 'aberration' gets to go up.

@Captain Davis, @Cint

to polarize people.

Well, do you consider death or being a slave in Africa worse?

I do.

However, I've never condoned slavery. That was a different time when people were raised a different way with different customs.

My idealistic views about the Confederacy have nothing to do with slavery. The Confederacy was closer to what the original Constitution was supposed to be.

BTW, the entire country profited from slavery and the North was fine with it. The Southern economy carried the nation for many years leading up to the war. Why do you think Lincoln wanted to leave it alone where it existed? Sure, it was protected by law, but it also carried the country through tough times in the early to mid 1800's.

The entire country was guilty of slavery. That's my point.

LOL, you are terribly wrong.

1st the group of men we consider the founding fathers wanted slavery removed but had to keep it to get the southern states to agree to the revolution

The North actually had more farming than the South.

"Why do you think Lincoln wanted to leave it alone where it existed?"
- this is actually the fucking funniest thing you posted. besides starting a civil war over slavery, sure he was fine with it....now he may or may not have given two fucks about blacks, but he knew we could not survive with slavery

I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free. - Lincoln

"The Confederacy was closer to what the original Constitution was supposed to be."
- fucking LOL that fucking owning people as property is in any way congruent with the Constitution is absolute bullshit.

LOL, you are terribly wrong.

1st the group of men we consider the founding fathers wanted slavery removed but had to keep it to get the southern states to agree to the revolution

The North actually had more farming than the South.

"Why do you think Lincoln wanted to leave it alone where it existed?"
- this is actually the fucking funniest thing you posted. besides starting a civil war over slavery, sure he was fine with it....now he may or may not have given two fucks about blacks, but he knew we could not survive with slavery

I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free. - Lincoln

"The Confederacy was closer to what the original Constitution was supposed to be."
- fucking LOL that fucking owning people as property is in any way congruent with the Constitution is absolute bullshit.
First of all, the vast majority of the founding fathers owned slaves. They may have found it morally wrong, but as usual, money won that dispute.

The North didn't depend on agriculture like the South did. The North depended on manufacturing. They also found out quickly that hiring immigrants was far cheaper and more efficient than maintaining slaves.

Lincoln may have personally been opposed to slavery, but the South carried the nation economically for most of the early to mid 1800's. Again, money wins.

The Confederate Constitution was heavy on states sovereignty. The founding fathers never intended to have an all empowering federal government. They felt strongly about limited federal government. Lincoln changed that. He shit all over the Constitution before the war.

Lincoln never intended to free any slaves for the sake of the slaves. If he did, there would have been a plan in place to facilitate their transition. The Emancipation Proclamation was only a war measure to cause chaos in the Confederate states.

Slavery was still protected legally in the border states until the 13th Amendment, well after the end of the war. Delaware was actually the last state to abolish slavery.

You may disagree with slaves being considered property, but at that time they were and the Constitution protected people's property.

Like I've said numerous times, you can't apply today's standards to that era.

The bottom line is that the Civil War was fought over money.

Many factors contributed to it, including slavery, tariffs, power, and political leverage, but money was the cause.

Back