New to K1\Striking combat sports

Allidoiswin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am a long time Boxing and MMA fan and I am interested in watching other combat sports. I was wondering if K1 events allow striking of all martial arts or only Kickboxing\Muay thai?

K1 was founded with the idea of bringing the different striking arts together.

If the techniques are allowed, it doesn’t matter what striking background you have.

It is said that the name K-1 ment Karaté, Kempo, Kickboxing, Kung fu... Letter K was the best letter to unite all those striking arts into one. K-1

Now, for educationnal purpose only, I have found years ago a torrent of all K-1 WGP finals (30 hours of content) and compiled them into a 13 minutes HL video, a tribute to all the HW WGP champions from 1990's to 2013.

K-1 rules = punches, kick, and knees are fully allowed in any capacity, but elbows and clinching are banned.
Glory rules = the same but you are allowed to have an active clinch of 5 seconds, although most refs usually only allow like 3 seconds.
Some smaller promotions like KNOCKOUT will fully allow clinching and elbows so they are basically Muay Thai with different scoring.

K-1 rules = punches, kick, and knees are fully allowed in any capacity, but elbows and clinching are banned.
Glory rules = the same but you are allowed to have an active clinch of 5 seconds, although most refs usually only allow like 3 seconds.
Some smaller promotions like KNOCKOUT will fully allow clinching and elbows so they are basically Muay Thai with different scoring.

Need to bring back those WCL rules.

Need to bring back those WCL rules.
Is WCL no longer running? Also I think Joe Schilling said WCL actually allowed low kicks so was basically K-1 rules, they just made it mandatory to wear thick foam shinpads under the shiny pants so you couldn't do much with your shins.

Is WCL no longer running? Also I think Joe Schilling said WCL actually allowed low kicks so was basically K-1 rules, they just made it mandatory to wear thick foam shinpads under the shiny pants so you couldn't do much with your shins.

Naw man, The WCL's been dead for almost a decade now. They only made it like three seasons.

As for the rules, I can't remember the specifics but the main thing that made it different was that there were strict rules against stalling and passivity, and refs would not hesitate to hand out penalties for that shit. It lead to a full-out balls-to-the-wall action sport. I'm not saying all kickboxing should be that way, but it made the promotion stand out and the fights were exciting.

Back