Should Ngannou stayed in the UFC?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-11-1_15-48-12.png

Parting ways with the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a carefully considered decision for former heavyweight champ Francis Ngannou.

Ngannou left the promotion at the beginning of the year after contract negotiations spanning over a year fell through. While the major bone of contention between the two parties was Ngannou wanting to compete in crossover boxing matches, “The Predator” also had other demands. The Cameroonian had touched upon important issues like like health insurance for fighters, a fighter advocate at board meetings and a new sponsorship deal.

At the end, Ngannou was absolutely sure about exiting the UFC when he did. The 37-year-old went on to secure a multi-fight deal with the surging rivals of the UFC, the Professional Fighters League. He later secured a boxing match against Fury, which went down in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on Oct. 28, reportedly resulting in a payday of more than $10 million for the former sand mine worker. “The Predator” lost a controversial split decision despite shocking the world with a third-round knockdown against the WBC heavyweight champ.

However, in a recent interview on "The MMA Hour," Ngannou claimed that he wouldn’t regret parting ways with the UFC even if the Fury fight or the PFL deal never came about.

“You have to understand something: Things have played out for me perfectly, maybe even more than anyone expected,” Ngannou said. “But let me tell you this: Let’s say after the UFC, after [leaving the UFC], I didn’t have any of those contracts, whether it was the PFL contract or the Tyson Fury fight contract, I wouldn’t regret it. You know, it wasn’t an overnight decision. It was a decision that I thought about. I thought about it many times.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/N...t-Even-Without-Fury-Fight-PFL-Contract-191565

You Have to be a UFC World Champion to have this power and potential Brand.

I agree... but still.

More fighters should still try and stand up for themselves, start a union, demand better salaries, fight elsewhere.

They just bend over backwards and feed the UFC coffers while getting crumbs in return.

Francis was a champ and still treated like shit after winning 6 fights in a row. If they treat champs like that, imagine how they treat lower level fighters.

Oh wait, we don't have to imagine, we already know they treat them like shit.

I'm glad he stood up for himself looking back on it and he wasn't just another "I told you so" for Dana and co. Hope the UFC is more open to things like this in the future when they realize all it will do is make them more money.

Francis is a boss
Dana's whole mindfuck to fighters is "You're a commodity. You're not in charge. You need us. Play by our rules and you MIGHT get something out of it. The only driver seat you're in is the one that drives me around in the coach, giving directions."

Francis said "Actually, I'll drop you off at the next corner."

UFC: "Without me the only place to drive is over a cliff. You're the brawn. I'm the brains."

Francis: "Then you're a stupid brain. See ya. I'm driving to the palace and I'll see if I can convince them that I'm a brain."

The palace opened the doors and accepted him as a man.

Different styles of doing business. One CRUSHES manhood and doesn't tolerate independence. The other respects it and rewards it accordingly.

So much for the gaslighting mind fuck. Shadow puppets on the wall. The Saudis respect Francis' balls and his indomitable will - his story. The very things Dana sought to undermine. The movie of Francis' life would have been amazing under the UFC. Now, in his freedom, it will be truly legendary.

I don’t understand why this guy is not now and hasn’t been a bigger story in the mainstream sports world. It’s a corrupt world man. The media cannot control the lone wolf is all it is.
Well, when you're under Dana's banner you can only be what he says you are. But now that he's free I think he's becoming that "bigger story".

After his next fight he'll have accomplished things that bend the mind. If he gets Deontay in some kind of adjusted rule set and wins? Mind bending stuff. Nobody would have dreamed this kind of thing could ever happen.

Yes

But that a pure (me) greed vote. His call and pleased things worked out so well for him.

<WhatItIs>

After his next fight he'll have accomplished things that bend the mind. If he gets Deontay in some kind of adjusted rule set and wins? Mind bending stuff. Nobody would have dreamed this kind of thing could ever happen.
how would him winning under adjusted rules be mind bending?

The prevailing theory has always been boxer probably wins boxing, MMA guys probably win if any MMA rules are present...

Couture already proved that theory once, how could nobody dream it?

all he had to do is knockout Jon Jones first. that's all. then he'd be the king of everything

Back