No Man's Sky Finally Leaves Beta And Adds Multiplayer + Xbone Release

Lovestorm

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/18/no-mans-sky-multiplayer-coming-xbox-one-ps4-pc-july-7556284/

After numerous free updates No Man’s Sky is a very different game today then when it was released back in the summer of 2016.

It’s still never quite shaken off the sense of disappointment from the initial launch but now it’s finally getting one of the most requested features: proper multiplayer.

The game has had limited co-op options since last year, but this will be the first time you can actually fly and fight alongside other players without limitations.

Hello Games’ Sean Murray appeared on the Inside Xbox livestream to discuss the update and announce that the game would be released on Microsoft’s console on July 24.

At the same time all the versions will get the multiplayer update, which Murray described as turning the game from a solo adventure to something closer to Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek or, you know… the game as it was originally advertised.

Players will be able to interact with each and still do everything else in the game, including newer features like base-building and racing ground-based vehicles.

You won’t have to just hope you stumble upon someone else either, as the game will allow you to group up with friends or just tag along with strangers.

Sounds great, but i'll believe it when i see it.

Lol remember when they advertised that if you ever met someone you could play with them, but the chance of ever playing with anyone is like winning the lottery. Then it turned out everyone went to just a few solar systems and couldn't even see each other

Lol remember when they advertised that if you ever met someone you could play with them, but the chance of ever playing with anyone is like winning the lottery. Then it turned out everyone went to just a few solar systems and couldn't even see each other

And it totally sounds like something to get really upset about.

"You probably cant do it."

*Game Released*

"We cant do it! MOTHERFUCKERS!"

And it totally sounds like something to get really upset about.

"You probably cant do it."

*Game Released*

"We cant do it! MOTHERFUCKERS!"
You obviously aren't familiar with the hype and promises this game made before launch. Promises directly from the developers. It was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming ever really, in terms of scope, so not sure what you're on about.

You obviously aren't familiar with the hype and promises this game made before launch. Promises directly from the developers. It was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming ever really, in terms of scope, so not sure what you're on about.

Im quite familiar. Hence my post.

What I responded to was one of the dumbest criticisms I ever saw from a community of people known for nitpicky criticisms.

Youre bringing up a bunch of other crap I didnt even mention. Im talking specifically about the the devs saying its not a multiplayer game and the chances of you meeting up with someone was virtually zero. Then people start crying that they cant meet up with other people. It was a stupid criticism. Even for gamers.

Im quite familiar. Hence my post.

What I responded to was one of the dumbest criticisms I ever saw from a community of people known for nitpicky criticisms.

Youre bringing up a bunch of other crap I didnt even mention. Im talking specifically about the the devs saying its not a multiplayer game and the chances of you meeting up with someone was virtually zero. Then people start crying that they cant meet up with other people. It was a stupid criticism. Even for gamers.
I think the criticism more though is the dev team said basically you probably WON'T meet someone but potentially could hinting it's cause the game world was gigantic when in fact you could be on the same planet of the same solar system and not see anyone cause, well, MP wasn't even lightly implemented.

I think the criticism more though is the dev team said basically you probably WON'T meet someone but potentially could hinting it's cause the game world was gigantic when in fact you could be on the same planet of the same solar system and not see anyone cause, well, MP wasn't even lightly implemented.

Well, it wasnt a multiplayer game.

The game world is gigantic. You could never see all the planets if you played for your entire life. That doesnt mean the quality of the gameplay and variety of planets isnt sub par, but it means that that particular criticism is stupid.

There were technical reasons why you probably woldnt see someone else on the same planet.

Look, theres plenty of criticisms of the game that are valid. This one criticism is overblown and meaningless. If people were getting the game to try and play with or see other people, then its their own fault for being disappointing with that one feature.

Well, it wasnt a multiplayer game.

The game world is gigantic. You could never see all the planets if you played for your entire life. That doesnt mean the quality of the gameplay and variety of planets isnt sub par, but it means that that particular criticism is stupid.

There were technical reasons why you probably woldnt see someone else on the same planet.

Look, theres plenty of criticisms of the game that are valid. This one criticism is overblown and meaningless. If people were getting the game to try and play with or see other people, then its their own fault for being disappointing with that one feature.

videogamedunkey has a pretty good take on scale in video games. Basically bigger isn't better; a game like Ocarina of Time isn't compelling because of how big it is, it's compelling because of all the interesting things you can do - and all of those interesting things are packed together. Every corner you turn is full of wonder and surprise.

No Man's Sky might have that level of wonder and surprise, but it's spread so thin you'll never enjoy it in a consistent way. Maybe recent updates have helped that, but the sense of discovery really died off after the first few hours. I kept playing, but stopped once I started questioning whether I'd have another big game moment.

They said like a 1000 times that it wasn't a multiplayer game. 1 time, like two weeks before its release, the guy made mention of multiplayer. Everyone completely murdered them for it not being a fully muliplayer game. There's other stuff to bitch about, other than that. However, with updates and all, it's pretty much what was promised originally at this point.

videogamedunkey has a pretty good take on scale in video games. Basically bigger isn't better; a game like Ocarina of Time isn't compelling because of how big it is, it's compelling because of all the interesting things you can do - and all of those interesting things are packed together. Every corner you turn is full of wonder and surprise.

No Man's Sky might have that level of wonder and surprise, but it's spread so thin you'll never enjoy it in a consistent way. Maybe recent updates have helped that, but the sense of discovery really died off after the first few hours. I kept playing, but stopped once I started questioning whether I'd have another big game moment.

I already said that size isnt an indicator of quality. But the criticism I was responding to was regarding size, not quality.

I already said that size isnt an indicator of quality. But the criticism I was responding to was regarding size, not quality.

I wasn't taking you to task or anything. Just talking.

They said like a 1000 times that it wasn't a multiplayer game. 1 time, like two weeks before its release, the guy made mention of multiplayer. Everyone completely murdered them for it not being a fully muliplayer game. There's other stuff to bitch about, other than that. However, with updates and all, it's pretty much what was promised originally at this point.

At this point, its more than what was promised. I played it a bit at a buddys house. Its neat but somewhat lacking in interesting hooks. Subnautica is a superb survival game, largely because of how it keeps pulling you along its lean but interesting narrative path. NMS just seems kinda like "hey, if you like this, keep doing it. If not, its not going to change much". But with all the updates, I might give it a shot after a steam sale.

I wasn't taking you to task or anything. Just talking.

Yeah, I agree with. Thats part of the problem with NMS design philosophy. A bunch of randomness isnt interesting to most people. Subnautica is much smaller, but creates a fascinating journey into a completely alien world.

Back