Elections NYT: Majority See Biden Too Old To Be Effective

Well he is. But so is Trump
What do you think Biden would be doing better if he were younger? II said that he'd do some head of state stuff better, which is probably right but pretty small potatoes IMO.

In Trump's case, in 2016 at least he ran a pretty unusual campaign for a Republican--not religious at all, suggested that he'd make progressive tax changes, promised a universal healthcare plan, promised to move left on foreign policy in some ways (though also talked about bringing back wars of conquest and plunder and committing war crimes so that one was weird), said he wouldn't cut entitlements. But then in office, he was spectacularly incompetent (couldn't even put anything together or get an infrastructure deal done even though everyone on both sides wanted one) and just ceded policymaking to the usual GOP apparatus, except that he made them more pro-dictator internationally and had carve-outs for his personal corruption. I think that divergence and incompetence could plausibly be tied to his decline. Going forward, there seems to be less divergence (mostly because he no longer says unorthodox stuff about policy), but he's even further gone. On the other hand, people mostly don't *want* Trump to succeed in the policy changes he's talked about so him being out of it and not knowing what's going on might be kind of better...

What do you think Biden would be doing better if he were younger? II said that he'd do some head of state stuff better, which is probably right but pretty small potatoes IMO.

In Trump's case, in 2016 at least he ran a pretty unusual campaign for a Republican--not religious at all, suggested that he'd make progressive tax changes, promised a universal healthcare plan, promised to move left on foreign policy in some ways (though also talked about bringing back wars of conquest and plunder and committing war crimes so that one was weird), said he wouldn't cut entitlements. But then in office, he was spectacularly incompetent (couldn't even put anything together or get an infrastructure deal done even though everyone on both sides wanted one) and just ceded policymaking to the usual GOP apparatus, except that he made them more pro-dictator internationally and had carve-outs for his personal corruption. I think that divergence and incompetence could plausibly be tied to his decline. Going forward, there seems to be less divergence (mostly because he no longer says unorthodox stuff about policy), but he's even further gone. On the other hand, people mostly don't *want* Trump to succeed in the policy changes he's talked about so him being out of it and not knowing what's going on might be kind of better...

Answering questions at Press Conferences would be nice...

And not getting lost afterwards

Answering questions at Press Conferences would be nice...

And not getting lost afterwards
i think if he gets a call at 3 am that requires the use of the "football" to send a nuke somewhere it would be better if he was a lot younger. this kind of catastrophe is what concerns me the most. we all used to believe that only the sharpest people were qualified for this job but that seems to be lost now. once we let trump in the picture we opened the door for literally anyone to enter the office.

but trump is WAY less qualified in those same instances so....

Well I'd have to put a disclaimer first-- I'm not backpedaling, just making it clear that I'm not trying to hold him to a standard to which I wouldn't hold others. My disclaimer is that pretty much every president has a team of people to help them put out an air of leadership, confidence and competence. So when I say that Biden's administration is probably moving pieces on the board rather than Biden himself, that is not all that much different from other presidents.

But I do think there's a bit of a difference here. His conferences are bullet points and then an exit of stage. I think that he is more of an "approver" than an entrepreneur, and I think we need that right now. I know you and I differ on the state of the nation and economy, so if you don't agree with that, I'd understand why you don't agree with this. His behavior is less important an element but it's difficult for me to not notice. I think I've seen you point out a couple times that people unfairly mock him when he's getting bombarded by a bunch of people talking at once. I agree with that but other people in office haven't shut down the way he does when he seemingly gets overloaded with that kind of thing.

Trump is basically just as old as Biden.

Neither of them should be running.

Well I'd have to put a disclaimer first-- I'm not backpedaling, just making it clear that I'm not trying to hold him to a standard to which I wouldn't hold others. My disclaimer is that pretty much every president has a team of people to help them put out an air of leadership, confidence and competence. So when I say that Biden's administration is probably moving pieces on the board rather than Biden himself, that is not all that much different from other presidents.

But I do think there's a bit of a difference here. His conferences are bullet points and then an exit of stage. I think that he is more of an "approver" than an entrepreneur, and I think we need that right now. I know you and I differ on the state of the nation and economy, so if you don't agree with that, I'd understand why you don't agree with this. His behavior is less important an element but it's difficult for me to not notice. I think I've seen you point out a couple times that people unfairly mock him when he's getting bombarded by a bunch of people talking at once. I agree with that but other people in office haven't shut down the way he does when he seemingly gets overloaded with that kind of thing.
I think the kind of performance of the job generally for everyone bears little relation to the reality of it. And I think it's very obvious that he's much more involved in decision-making than Trump was (in addition to having a much, much better team--and staffing is the most important part of the job). Also, the outright hostility from the media is a bit unusual. For a lot of people, the appeal of Biden was just quiet competence replacing the exhausting circus of corruption and incompetence of his predecessor, but for the media, that's death. They definitely are dying to have Trump back and hate that Biden isn't constantly out there making a fool of himself in public.

Last edited:
Huh? Since when?
Trump is the least intelligent president we've ever had, and Biden is the second-least intelligent since Reagan, after Trump.

But actually, raw intellectual horsepower isn't as important as people skills. It's important for presidents to have really brilliant people working for them, but not so important for them to be brilliant themselves. Biden isn't as smart as Bill or either Bush, but he's a much better president than they were (same with Carter and Nixon, and JFK).

Last edited:
Trump is the least intelligent president we've ever had, and Biden is the second-least intelligence since Reagan, after Trump.

But actually, raw intellectual horsepower isn't as important as people skills. It's important for presidents to have really brilliant people working for them, but not so important for them to be brilliant themselves. Biden isn't as smart as Bill or either Bush, but he's a much better president than they were (same with Carter and Nixon, and JFK).
Approval ratings check out...

I think the kind of performance of the job generally for everyone bears little relation to the reality of it. And I think it's very obvious that he's much more involved in decision-making than Trump once (in addition to having a much, much better team--and staffing is the most important part of the job). Also, the outright hostility from the media is a bit unusual. For a lot of people, the appeal of Biden was just quiet competence replacing the exhausting circus of corruption and incompetence of his predecessor, but for the media, that's death. They definitely are dying to have Trump back and hate that Biden isn't constantly out there making a fool of himself in public.
Well put man.

You think the media misses the drama then?

He is obviously too old...but the Trump factor will get him elected again...Trump and trumpers are poison

Trump any day over Biden, the mindless zombie who shakes hands with security guards and thinks they are presidents of other nations. Biden is mind controlled by the radical left. Democrats are absolutely terrible. They should be in jail for the border neglect they are doing on purpose. And the transsexual surgeries on children. Disgusting.

Back