Economy Oakland's Only In-N-Out Restaurant Closed Down For Good Due to Crimes.

Disinvestment makes crime-ridden areas worse, not better. The idea that a community needs to "deserve" investment is an absurdity that perpetuates multiple types of discrimination. Personally I'd rather it not be this way, but businesses have a lot more pull with alleviating these sorts of problems than people putting forth ideologies.

Oakland had a program that reduced violent crime (particularly firearm murders) by like 43%. That program was gutted over time and there aren't tons of high-power people attempting to leverage the revitalisation of such programs and initiatives that have had historical success. Oakland crime was worse at some points in the 80's and 90's, as well as around 2012 when the program began.

The highest I've ever seen Oakland on any list of most dangerous cities was 11th, with the majority of the top 10 being in the South. But Oakland sure gets a ton of media attention as opposed to all those other cities, including more dangerous cities in Cali by certain metrics.

It’s not a private businesses responsibility to make crime ridden areas better. They are actually trying to make a profit for their own personal and professional gain.

anotherone-dj-khaled.gif

Disinvestment makes crime-ridden areas worse, not better. The idea that a community needs to "deserve" investment is an absurdity that perpetuates multiple types of discrimination. Personally I'd rather it not be this way, but businesses have a lot more pull with alleviating these sorts of problems than people putting forth ideologies.

Oakland had a program that reduced violent crime (particularly firearm murders) by like 43%. That program was gutted over time and there aren't tons of high-power people attempting to leverage the revitalisation of such programs and initiatives that have had historical success. Oakland crime was worse at some points in the 80's and 90's, as well as around 2012 when the program began.

The highest I've ever seen Oakland on any list of most dangerous cities was 11th, with the majority of the top 10 being in the South. But Oakland sure gets a ton of media attention as opposed to all those other cities, including more dangerous cities in Cali by certain metrics.
Oakland had an infinitely more expensive cost of living. Additionally, it’s governed by blue anti-business parasites that while making it costly to operate, also hold businesses accountable for their failures. All the while cutting police and handcuffing those remaining.

Next on how the real world works, vote around, find out.

Oakland had an infinitely more expensive cost of living. Additionally, it’s governed by blue anti-business parasites that while making it costly to operate, also hold businesses accountable for their failures. All the while cutting police and handcuffing those remaining.

Next on how the real world works, vote around, find out.
Exactly. It’s not like these communities are business friendly to begin with. Throw in a negative income stream and what are they supposed to do?

Don't worry, Oakland is still highly desirable. Go ahead and pull up Zillo and take a look at what a place with bars on the windows and a cage over the front door goes for in Oakland. Folks aren't leaving because they closed In and Out.

Most of Oakland is awesome.

I was there briefly thirty years ago and definitely thought it was awesome.

We can never have a good, safe big city in America. If a city becomes big and rich, diversity will move in to vote in someone of their color to approve more welfare, defund the police, and that city will become another San Francisco or Oakland within a generation.

Exactly. It’s not like these communities are business friendly to begin with. Throw in a negative income stream and what are they supposed to do?

The local community is actually very friendly towards In n Out to begin with, and there's no "negative income stream" here. The article in the OP clearly says this location remains busy AND profitable since it opened 18 years ago.

It's very clear that the reason for its closure is NOT business-related, as there is still a long line of paying customers every day until it closes, but it IS a safety issue due to the rampant crimes targeting this area now.

My guess is they're getting out of dodge now before an employee or customer inevitably get hurt or killed in the parking lot.

"We are grateful for the local community, which has supported us for over 18 years, and we recognize that this closure negatively impacts our Associates and their families," Chief Operating Officer Danny Warwick said in a statement. "Additionally, this location remains a busy and profitable one for the company, but our top priority must be the safety and wellbeing of our Customers and Associates – we cannot ask them to visit or work in an unsafe environment."

Last edited:
There's no "negative income stream" here. The article in the OP clearly says this In n Out location is busy AND profitable.

The reason for its closure is NOT business-related, but a safety issue due to the rampant crime in the area. My guess is they're getting out of dodge now before an employee or customer inevitably gets hurt during a car break-in.
I stand corrected but the point remains the same. A lawsuit from an injured employee would hurt the bottom line.

Because unless you see it happen, see who did it, get plates, it’s just a waste of time
Even with plates, unless there was a serious injury, the cops won’t do shit

They probably have issues staffing the location. I wouldn't be surprised if they had over 100 people working there throughout the week. In and Out is privately owned and they always did things their way. It's probably more cost effective to close down than hire a few security guards which can lead to more issues down the line.

On a side note, that restaurant isn't bad. It provides decent food for the price point. You can probably still get a small combo for under 10 bucks.

They probably have issues staffing the location. I wouldn't be surprised if they had over 100 people working there throughout the week. In and Out is privately owned and they always did things their way. It's probably more cost effective to close down than hire a few security guards which can lead to more issues down the line.

On a side note, that restaurant isn't bad. It provides decent food for the price point. You can probably still get a small combo for under 10 bucks.
Good point, reason number 10 for @Sinister

If they hire security guards, their fat pockets are sitting ducks for a lawsuit when some gangbanger sues after the security guard breaks his finger nail stopping some child from the 50th stomp to the head. A jury of Oakland perpetual-victim natives would seek a 7 Trillion dollar judgement.

In other news, Oakland task force still seeking reparations bill. Definitely a city any upstanding folks or companies would want to be a part of…

Back