Official Women's Division Discussion #25

I don't like pro wrestling and wish it would mix with MMA a lot less.
Agree 100%
Excessive over the top trash talk a la Conor isn't really my cup of tea either.
But pandering to fans by taking shots at very easy targets is not much better imo. Actually I think I find it worse - would prefer some shit talk between "equals", even if somewhat trashy, to that.
Ladd is a young prospect ranked #7, Bethe is a experienced fighter and former title challenger ranked #11, it's not like #2 vs. #14 or something like that..
Although i think Ladd would maul Bethe, it's somewhat fair, considering Ladd is almost a pupil of ms. Reneau, who Bethe went to a controversial draw with. Ladd just wants to finish what has already been started :rolleyes:
Im also not into pro wrasslin... But "gigantes do ringue" was quite a thing
Hahaha
Never heard of it, a quick google research tells me i'm too young to know about it :oops:

I thought "pro wrestling" only existed so NASCAR fans could actually have someone to look down on?

Pretty much :D The key (for me) is to avoid the weekly shows at all costs (the "stories" and the soap-opera level scripting performed by people who aren't good at delivering lines) and only see the big shows that are based on the stunt-stuff.

I actually just got a WWE Network subscription last week so I could watch all the old ECW stuff (the original, from Philly.. not the 2012 WWE version) ..... If you want to see some awesome shit, check out anything Tajiri vs Super Crazy, Rob Van Dam, Sabu, Taz,

They had a fantastic blend of violence, skill, craziness, and crowd participation. give 2 or 3 PPV's a shot..... I guarantee you'll like part of it. haha. Those little skinny dudes jumping off stuff? In ECW the 250lb guys were doing that shit, and THROWING the skinny dudes into the crowd. haha.

Its super violent (some stuff is legit nuts) , super ridiculous, super high-flying. The commentary is fantastic and hilarious, And the crowd is on fire. (Sometimes the wrestlers were too) haha.

The best high-flyers were Rob Van Dam, Tajiri, Super Crazy, Psicosis, Rey Mysterio, Kid Kash...
Violence and Blood were brought by : New Jack, Balls Mahoney, Sandman, Raven, Tommy Dreamer, Dudleys, Terry Funk, Cactus Jack
Technical Nonviolent Masterpieces brought to you by : Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm, Dean Malenko
Fantastic Mic work from : Shane Douglas, Cactus Jack, Joel Gertner,
Rediculous bullshit: the bWo, New Jack

Last edited:
I actually just got a WWE Network subscription last week so I could watch all the old ECW stuff (the original, from Philly.. not the 2012 WWE version)

Yeah, ECW was damn cool (only place I can tolerate Metallica is Sandman's entrance). I used to watch a lot of wrestling as a kid, then mostly drifted off and only watched Mania every year until around the time of Flair's retirement match against HBK. Only got back watching stuff this year, out of Ronda related curiosity and got the WWE subscription too. With performers on the level of Io Shirai and Kairi Sane and Ricochet and Asuka etc. etc. There's loads of fun stuff happening in the big events.

Ronda is actually quite good too - she's learning fast, they are using her real world grappling skills well and she's not afraid to take hits (and with no USADA to worry about her physical abilities really shine - she is strong as hell and in great shape compared to her UFC days), Shayna's style works too - it's almost fully "realistic" submission grappling and fits in the matches. Shafir and Duke had their in ring debuts the other week and were absolutely horrible though, really bad (luckily Shirai saved the match)

Trying to get things back to women's MMA related things, so this doesn't end up a wrestling thread :D

I havent watched WWE in probally 20 years... But I can see Ronda transitioning well.... and Shanya was just made for the WWE.... I wasn't surprised to hear she was doing well too.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of "pro" wrestling, but I don't think going back and forth between that and MMA is necessarily a bad idea for certain fighters. Generally speaking, neither arena is going to take an individual career beyond the age of 40. In the case of Cyborg, I'd see it as more of a way to secure a financial future. Fighting once per year for UFC can't be THAT lucrative. I doubt she'll be set for life from her earnings.

Sure, crossover between MMA and wrasslin' doesn't give MMA any more "credibility" as a sport, but individual combat sports will never be as big as team sports. It'll likely always rely on at least a little drama and/or controversy to get people interested. People enjoy that stuff (esp when it's combined with violence.) In the fight game, I don't fault anyone for trying to make a living by whatever method they choose. Talking shit on Twitter and pro wrestling may not be the classiest of ways to advance a career, but years of hard work and future opportunities can disappear in a blink. MMA, wrestling, boxing, etc... Competitors put a lot on the line. I don't hold it against anyone for trying to capitalize while in a short-lived and volatile career.

I actually have nothing against pro wrestling, it is just not for me. Good to occasionally screw with somebody about it, like pretty much everything else.

I rarely ever watch WWE, but I find the whole MMA fighters cutting promos thing amusing. It has pretty much always existed in the sport; all that has changed is that the exposure has drastically increased because of social media and MMA growing in popularity. Not everyone needs to be doing it because most of them suck at it, but getting boring canned answers like in the NFL/MLB/NHL (and to a lesser extent NBA) all the time isn't any fun either.

Gimme some drama and animosity, dammit!
<{1-16}>

You'll like this then:

Cyborg used a "bad" Brazilian word to describe Amanda.

Cyborg vs Nunes Is Personal

WMMAddict
Published on Dec 26, 2018

Yeah, gotta love it.

Fights multiple Brazilians
Says she will not fight Amanda because she is Brazilian
Agrees to fight Amanda
Uses shit slang that would only apply to a Brazilian to degrade Amanda

Irony is just wasted on some people.

Yeah, gotta love it.

Fights multiple Brazilians
Says she will not fight Amanda because she is Brazilian
Agrees to fight Amanda
Uses shit slang that would only apply to a Brazilian to degrade Amanda

Irony is just wasted on some people.
The greatest irony is the new American citizen calling the other a traitor to Brazil.

The greatest irony is the new American citizen calling the other a traitor to Brazil.

Yeah.

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;"

Oops.

Bethe burned her good, Aspen had nothing for her.

Haha.... until they fight... after which time Bethe will learn how it feels to bleed out of every hole at once.... She might even get some new holes to play with.

Haha.... until they fight... after which time Bethe will learn how it feels to bleed out of every hole at once.... She might even get some new holes to play with.
One, the fight has to get made.

Two, Aspen has to make weight.

Has Aspen Ladd ever made weight wearing clothes because all of her UFC
Weigh ins have required the use of the shower curtain.

Has Aspen Ladd ever made weight wearing clothes because all of her UFC
Weigh ins have required the use of the shower curtain.
She hasn't made weight wearing clothes since she was just a wee Ladd

Back