Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betting lines are also known to adjust based on hype, and bets already made.

awesome, awesome! yay! :cool:

go joanna!!! :D

Yes! Go Joanna Jed..r...j..c..? Ummm...I have to remember to just copy and paste her name from now on. (Yay!) She looks like a worthy opponent for Lima, but i`d still pick Lima (who I think is vastly underrated in that division).

@flanellograf: I have also heard Dana White toss out that stat (45 grand for testing for one event). He implied that the UFC was getting fleeced and he encouraged other companies to try and compete with lower estimates. So maybe this is a high-end figure that will gradually come down.

As for this whole betting argument: It is ironic that Alexis is getting such bad odds. I would feel much more comfortable putting money on Ronda to beat Holly (than Alexis). Or, imagine what the odds will/would be for a Carano-Rousey fight. And, that would be easy money.

Jarl

Yes! Go Joanna Jed..r...j..c..? Ummm...I have to remember to just copy and paste her name from now on. (Yay!) She looks like a worthy opponent for Lima, but i`d still pick Lima (who I think is vastly underrated in that division).

@flanellograf: I have also heard Dana White toss out that stat (45 grand for testing for one event). He implied that the UFC was getting fleeced and he encouraged other companies to try and compete with lower estimates. So maybe this is a high-end figure that will gradually come down.

As for this whole betting argument: It is ironic that Alexis is getting such bad odds. I would feel much more comfortable putting money on Ronda to beat Holly (than Alexis). Or, imagine what the odds will/would be for a Carano-Rousey fight. And, that would be easy money.

Jarl

i like the match with lima a lot. juliana is a strong striker, but i think joanna is just that much faster and more accurate. it should prove to be a very interesting match. i'm still hoping to see ansaroff vs. jędrzejczyk at some point down the road. that is a match that would be great for the fans i think. (yes, i am copying and pasting her last name here! :icon_chee )

it's good to see another exciting addition to the SW division. we're all just hoping she can make the weight in a healthy manner now. thridpres posted earlier and reminded me that this will only be lima's second fight at SW (after losing the first to katja) so they both will be a bit bigger with neither having a great size disadvantage.

i assume the winner of this one faces the winner of tina vs. claudia...so i'll be hoping for joanna vs. claudia myself...even though i don't know if joanna is quite ready for that yet. we shall see...:D

I saw this just now -

Scott made us a fire pit!! Relaxing before our week starts. Fight camp starting tomorrow! Info coming soon!!

~ Kathina Catron

10154255_759609397392561_1458431816642823356_n.jpg

Just who and at what event will she be fighting at? 8)

--
I'm hoping for healthy fighters and good fights. That's for sure.

8)

--
One TUF 20 hopeful knows the value of having a nice smile.

BrKDh13CUAAFsaS.jpg:large

--

Last edited:
For one fight, i.e. for both fighters.
I don't know what costs that much, but I guess stuff adds up, and medical/lab work usually is expensive.

45,000 dollars is 100 to 250 times what it would cost to test those two fighters to see if they were Vitamin D deficient. It is hard for me to believe it would cost that much.

How much does it cost to test two fighters if it isn't a random test?

@flanellograf and bigMuffler

I follow odds quite a bit to be fair mma odds have been very off very often and I think it's should be very profitable if you are good at reading the match but it's pretty hard to do that with so many unknowns(which is partly why it inaccurate). I think the starting bookmakers odds in general is more accurate than the current odds driven by bettors.

Last edited:
All betting lines are is opinions, people probably think of Ronda as a legit man level, borderline superhuman after her quick dispatching of McMann while not even knowing who Davis is. The commission shouldn't take into account mass opinions if they have confidence in their own knowledge of what is or isn't a reasonable match.

Plus the line for Ronda vs Holm would probably be a lot closer and yet...

And yet...Holly Holm is one of the few women who could knock Rousey out cold. Sure she has weaknesses, just like Alexis can get bullied in the clinch. But Holm is one of the few girls who can make Ronda pay for her weak striking defense.

And yet...Holly Holm is one of the few women who could knock Rousey out cold. Sure she has weaknesses, just like Alexis can get bullied in the clinch. But Holm is one of the few girls who can make Ronda pay for her weak striking defense.

Holly isn't a quick finisher, but wears down her opponents over multiple rounds before knocking them out. Good luck lasting that long with Ronda.

Try Amanda Nunes if you want a fighter with a real puncher's chance.

Plus the line for Ronda vs Holm would probably be a lot closer and yet...

Right. Whatever the betting odds, if Alexis Davis (with 2 black belts, 16-5 overall in MMA and 3-0 in the UFC having fought most of the top WBW's in the world, & ranked #2 at 135lbs and #3 p4p in the women's unified rankings) doesn't possess sufficient credentials for a commission sanctioned MMA match against Rousey, then nobody does.

Indeed, it has. She knows it`s an important part of "self-marketing". She`s also been training more overseas and in situations where she can only use English. Those kind of situations really accelerate your learning curve (for learning a foreign language).

Only people who can only speak one language make fun of people for making mistakes/having an accent/etc. After you put in the time to learn a 2nd language, and realize how hard it is, you will never again make fun of people speaking English as a second language.

On a side note...Cyborg seems serious about coming down to 135. And...she said Invicta 8 won`t be until September ?/!

Jarl

On a side note...Cyborg seems serious about coming down to 135. And...she said Invicta 8 won`t be until September ?/!

To be technically correct, she said "maybe September". And for her first 135 fight she said "maybe January". Hopefully she is very cautious and uses "maybe" liberally.

TUF 19 Finale: Sarah Moras Says Competing on TUF “Totally Different” Than Making UFC Debut

Sarah-Moras-TUF-Promo-poster-website.jpg

By Kelsey Mowatt

Although Sarah Moras competed in the eighteenth season of “The Ultimate Fighter”, and advanced to the show’s semifinals, the bantamweight concedes it’s not comparable to what’s coming on July 6th. On that day, at the TUF 19 Finale, the 26 year-old will take on Alexis Dufresne, in what will mark her official, UFC debut.

“I don’t think it takes away the stress,” Moras noted on a recent episode of Full Contact Fighter Radio, while discussing whether competing on TUF reduces the stress tied to a UFC debut. “It’s obviously stressful, it’s a fight, they always are, and TUF was almost a year ago.”

Click below for more:

http://fcfighter.com/post/tuf-19-fi...tuf-“totally-different”-than-making-ufc-debut

--

Juliana Lima trains with Renzo Gracie aiming at UFC debut
By Peter Henry on June 30, 2014

&

Juliana Lima does not hide his anxiety to debut in the UFC and taking advantage of the available time is left goes in search of best practice, with a MMA legend, Renzo Gracie. The Brazilian will embark this week to New York and told the Iron Lady MMA exclusively, about his preparation for his first fight in the biggest event in the world.

Click below for more - in Portuguese:

http://www.damadeferromma.com/juliana-lima-treina-com-renzo-gracie-visando-estreia-ufc/

--

10154257_1445448999043794_9029007765334169630_n.jpg

I'm trying to figure out the weight class of the French fighter, Julie Cancelloni, seen in a red shirt standing next to Paige VanZant in the lower left corner there.

Last edited:
45,000 dollars is 100 to 250 times what it would cost to test those two fighters to see if they were Vitamin D deficient. It is hard for me to believe it would cost that much.

How much does it cost to test two fighters if it isn't a random test?

Well, it is like with most services and products of that sort; if there is infrequent demand, and few suppliers (the lab has to be WADA accredited, for instance), the prices go up substantially. Also, the tests are much stricter, more sensitive, and they test for more stuff. Also, hiring testers, administrative work, expenses etc all add up.
The UFC would most likely get a discount if they committed to X amounts of tests per year, though.

I don't know what it costs for just one, non-random, test. I'm guessing urine tests are a lot cheaper though, because they are not as comprehensive or sensitive.

EDIT: Found a WADA document on costs. Feel free to dig through it to find out.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/About_WADA/Funding/WADA_ReportWorkingGroupCosts_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Translation of Rin Nakai's blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back