Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word of warning - Awful sound, best to lower the volume. Footage sometimes speeds up or slows down but not enough to make viewing annoying.

Jaquelline Santana vs. Jessica Suelem (Flyweight)

Another version of this fight. Sound is fine with no awkward video issues. Footage from further away from the fight but with a decent angle.

--

Cortney Casey vs. Tomo Maesawa (Strawweight)

Casey debuts at strawweight, results in mismatch. Not so funny in the UFC bringing in the strawweights has led to an increase in mismatches happening as it was size mismatching that contributed to Dana White's previous insistence that women would never fight in the UFC. (Great showing by Casey, nevertheless.)

--
Anthony Pettis' plan for TUF 20? Pick a team full of strikers

By Shaun Al-Shatti

On Monday, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and former Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez began filming the twentieth season of The Ultimate Fighter in Las Vegas, NV. While the show has, in large part, become formulaic and stale, especially after a recent listless nineteenth season, this upcoming iteration at least promises a few fresh caveats, as it will not only introduce a brand new weight class to UFC audiences -- the women's 115-pound division -- but it will also crown a new champion in the process, a first for the UFC's flagship series.

Click below for more:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/2...-plan-for-tuf-20-pick-a-team-full-of-strikers

--

Meet the Anti-Rousey

By Yael Grauer
Jul 2, 2014

20140526085746_5D3_6139.JPG

Alexis Davis has had her eyes set on Ronda Rousey for a long time.

Davis has quietly racked up five consecutive victories -- two in Invicta Fighting Championships and three more in the Ultimate Fighting Championship -- over the past two years, with a focus on challenging for the UFC women’s bantamweight crown. Instead, Liz Carmouche, Miesha Tate and Sara McMann took their shots while Davis looked on. Worse yet, the names of Gina Carano and Cristiane Justino were floated about as possible opponents for Rousey.

Click below for more:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Meet-the-AntiRousey-69929

--
I'm finding a number of new fighters this week, six so far.

Katarzyna Lubońska - Poland

katarzyna_lubonska.jpg

Last edited:
@thirdpres wasn't Cortney Casey suppose to fight this other girl?

Also isn't the size difference also due to her opponent been quite small for straw weight. As for the towel stoppage I have noticed from watching some of the videos here some of these ref's doesn't even bother moving in and getting ready to stop the fight in these lock down situations. Even if your not out if your in a checkmate situation for x amount of time and can't intelligently defend yourself it should be a stoppage. Even through there are a lot of early stoppages in ufc some of the ref's for small orgs pretty pretty bad.

Last edited:
I don't think it was size mismatching, but skill mismatching, that irked Dana.

Good job by her team to throw in the towel, though.

Some better clips from the Jessy Jess fight. She does have some power and decent standup. I like the tude, too. ;)

Looks to have some decent strength as well, how much weight is that?

jessy-jess.jpg

@thirdpres wasn't Cortney Casey suppose to fight this other girl?

Also isn't the size difference also due to her opponent been quite small for straw weight. As for the towel stoppage I have noticed from watching some of the videos here some of these ref's doesn't even bother moving in and getting ready to stop the fight in these lock down situations. Even if your not out if your in a checkmate situation for x amount of time and can't intelligently defend yourself it should be a stoppage. Even through there are a lot of early stoppages in ufc some of the ref's for small orgs pretty pretty bad.

Casey was supposed to fight Curran but that fight fell apart five to six weeks prior to this fight taking place. When that fight was first announced it was Casey saying she would be fighting PXC's undefeated girl.

Casey is on the big side of flyweight. Average frame at 5'7'' she is of a similar size to several women fighting in the UFC at bantamweight, and she would be the same if she were to add some muscle weight on. Bigger then a few of them but then those fighters probably ought to be fighting at flyweight (and they had been off and on) anyways.

Tomo Maesawa has fought everywhere from 51kg to 66kg. I'd tend to view her as being slightly on the small side of that weight class due to height but still seeming to average 52kg to 53kg when fighting, pretty average but probably not cutting a whole lot of weight either. Hard to say why she came in a bit underweight for that fight at 112lbs.

I do view this as a size mismatch. What you see is what you get. One fighter was huge in comparison to the other, one is debuting at 115lbs and had commented that it was a very tough cut for her to make. She mentioned that she is hoping that this first cut will led to any future cuts she makes to 115lbs easier.

The other has been fighting for years in and around 115, was 3-3 on a three fight win streak. She was crushed.

Now I think Cortney Casey is a very capable fighter and should be someone to keep an eye on no matter where she fights. It is a shame that her fight with Brenda Gonzales has that controversy about suntan lotion hanging over it.

Overall I don't think you can even discuss skills in that fight in that it was over too quickly to make decent observations other then that with one decent punch Casey dropped her opponent.

--
Agreed on the towel being thrown in. White was concerned with depth of talent and skills sets but also mentioned size mismatches in reference to the "depth of talent" lacking in women's mma. Two talented fighters facing each other but the larger opponent not even being challenged by the smaller one.

That kind of thing.

I posted the Jessy Rose-Clark vs. Kate Da Silva fight a little while ago. I wonder if it is still around.

Here is a link to parts 1 and 2 of that fight if you want to see the whole of it. I was thinking Jessy Jess would win that one. I like Da Silva too but having seen them both fight I felt Jess would get the win, better standup and decent takedown defense while Da Silva has good bjj her wrestling is limited, although she has improved her standup a great deal over the past few years.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96233525

Last edited:
Katarzyna Lubońska - Poland[/B]

katarzyna_lubonska.jpg

I saw Lubonska fight just a week or so ago, on a Polish MMA stream. She beat the stuffing out of her opponent (Roksana Prucnal), but gassed and fell apart when she couldn't finish. Bell to bell domination, though it was Coleman/Shogun on the energy level index.

I saw Lubonska fight just a week or so ago, on a Polish MMA stream. She beat the stuffing out of her opponent (Roksana Prucnal), but gassed and fell apart when she couldn't finish. Bell to bell domination, though it was Coleman/Shogun on the energy level index.

Yep. Recent fight and not listed most places. I've seen some stuff on that fight but not the video. Glad you had a chance to see it and share your observation of it.

Thanks.

Thirdpress - 24hrs to go till the press conference for Tuf20 is released. Any precitions on the final 8 girls chosen??

Thirdpress - 24hrs to go till the press conference for Tuf20 is released. Any precitions on the final 8 girls chosen??

I'll try to give some ideas on who made it in.

Based on a number of criteria, including facebook/twitter usage, these are the most likely TUF 20 add-ons:

Six to seven most likely in:

Jessica Penne, Justine Kish, Aisling Daly, Heather Jo Clark, Lisa Ellis, Angela Magana,
and Tessa Rose Simpson.

Simpson is something of an outliner but she hasn't posted recently, has the skills, is a good weight for TUF, and has a good record.

Other very solid options:

Claire Fryer and Randa Markos-Thomas have both posted on the 30th and are very good options but those posts leave doubt of them getting in. (Edit - Last minute posts?)

There is room for Diana Rael as she is decent, has often posted on her activities, but has been quiet since mid to late June.

It is possible that one or another fighter has someone posting on their twitter-feeds for them to throw people off though. Carla Esparza has commented on her having someone doing that for her during her TUF 20 stay. This kind of having a friend post stuff could throw off checking out social media for a while. It is not that long to get that information figured out.

There are a few people who have been posting in terms of being "hopeful messages" in that they might be alternates.

These favorites seem to be off: Nina Ansaroff and Michelle Ould.

Seems these are the most likely seeing as Ansaroff is busy twittering, as well as Ould. Ansaroff had been a favorite by a number of people based on comments made by people at the TUF 20 tryouts. (Remember my comments on people "fooling" social media observers.)

It could be that the UFC is being somewhat cognizant of having too many big fighters on TUF 20, that could help explain why they didn't bring in some of the larger fighters from the TUF 20 tryouts even when they did well in the tryouts.

There are others options but they are all less likely.

Far from perfect but a decent list and ranking of who might have made it in.

--

Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander

Last edited:
Fight Time 20, Friday 08.29.2014 @ Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
AW Bout: Jenny Silverio (CUB, 0-1) vs. Stephanie Alba (USA, 0-0)

IMMAF World Championship results

DAY 1 - Monday 30th June
- Rachel Abou Abdallah (LEB) def No Opponent via Walkover
- Amanda Ribas (BRA) def Micol Di Segni (ITA) via Unanimous Decision, Round 3, End of Round
- Aleksandra Milczarek (POL) def Lisa Engelke (SWE) via Submission, Round 2, 2:03
- Amanda Lino (ZAF) def Andrea Whitney (USA) via TKO Strikes, Round 1, 2:21
- Florence Berthet (FRA) def Jill Holmstr

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to find out what the TUF20 house will look like!

So many Invicta vets who have entertained the hell out of me every time. Really looking forward to this TUF season.

Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson update:

She is supposedly coming to Vegas this week to meet fans and sign things, (according to her Twitter feed) but nothing has been said about exactly where and when.

Also, last weekend, she got a Oompa-Loompa spraytan and competed in a Bikini Fitness contest for some reason.

Looking very strong and fit.. to be expected, she's a hard worker.

10413083_674920002576258_1856750931_n.jpg

Anybody hear any announcements coming from Invicta today or tomorrow about an event.

TUF 20 cast reveal: Joanne Calderwood, Bec Rawlings, Rose Namajunas, Jessica Penne, Angela Magana, Angela Hill, Tecia Torres, Justine Kish, Heather Jo Clark, Emily Kagan, Aisling Daly, Lisa Ellis, Carla Esparza, Felice Herrig, Randa Markos, Alex Chambers.

I'm kind of curious why Emily Kagan was chosen. She only stands out in that batch of names in how ordinary she is.

I'm kind of curious why Emily Kagan was chosen. She only stands out in that batch of names in how ordinary she is.

Emily Kagan was bought up by the UFC as part of the Invicta buyout.

--
(I see Leek has it for everyone already but here it goes as a list.)

TUF 20 cast reveal:

Joanne Calderwood
Bec Rawlings
Rose Namajunas
Emily Kagan
Tecia Torres
Carla Esparza
Felice Herrig
Alex Chambers
Aisling Daly
Lisa Ellis
Randa Markos
Jessica Penne
Angela Magana
Angela Hill
Justine Kish
Heather Jo Clark

Angela Hill is the only unexpected person brought in as she only has one professional fight in MMA. Last night I was thinking they would go for Markos to get the Canadians interested as she is a fitting person in her own right having and duel purpose is useful.

And the buyout spread continues.

--

She is a good way to entertain yourself on any given day or night.

8)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back