Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #6

"Jag," who is the first female fighter signed by WSOF, is slated to make her promotional debut in January at 115 pounds. Abdel-Aziz says there are no plans at this time to establish concrete women's divisions but rather simply put on intriguing fights.

This pretty much translates to Aguliar will be fighting whoever WSOF can scrounge up for her.

It's clear that Jag wants money and not competition, not that you can blame her for that.

LOL

JAG clearly wants no part of top competition. That is why she risked the biggest win of her career by giving Mega Megu a rematch. She's clearly afraid of fighting in Invicta (even though she holds a win over Invicta's champion).

[/sarcasm]

I find it preposterous to belittle athletes for taking the best offer available. The onus is on the promoter, not the athlete. If Invicta wanted the top 115 pounder in the world, they should have made a better offer. It's called PRIZE fighting for a reason. If you don't offer the top prize, you shouldn't expect to get the top athletes.

This pretty much translates to Aguliar will be fighting whoever WSOF can scrounge up for her.

Invicta doesn't pay shit.

If WSOF is paying real money (which I assume is why Aguilar signed with them), they should have no problem poaching Invicta's roster.

Aguilar signing with WSOF is about the money and I understand it because before her last fight in Bellator there was an article I read that talked about how during those long breaks between fights in BFC she had to take a sales job to survive. She has financial issues if this relieves some of them it's good for her. And this probably means the UFC isn't going to Start a women's strawweight div anytime soon the ufc would have contacted her by now.

Last edited:
Jessica Aguilar signs with World Series of Fighting
By Ariel Helwani

Jessica-Aguilar.jpg

World Series of Fighting is getting into the women's MMA game.

The promotion has signed top pound-for-pound fighter Jessica Aguilar to a new deal, according to WSOF president Ray Sefo and executive vice president Ali Abdel-Aziz.

"Jag," who is the first female fighter signed by WSOF, is slated to make her promotional debut in January at 115 pounds. An exact date and location for her debut has yet to be determined, as well as her opponent. Abdel-Aziz says there are no plans at this time to establish concrete women's divisions but rather simply put on intriguing fights.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/11/5090414/jessica-aguilar-signs-with-world-series-of-fighting

(I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. More then once she has mentioned that her manager's would play a big part in her decision and Aguilar has talked about money too.)

--
Jessica “Jag” Aguilar (16-4-0) US

Some people Aguilar could fight in WSOF.

H

Last edited:
LOL

JAG clearly wants no part of top competition. That is why she risked the biggest win of her career by giving Mega Megu a rematch. She's clearly afraid of fighting in Invicta (even though she holds a win over Invicta's champion).

[/sarcasm]

I find it preposterous to belittle athletes for taking the best offer available. The onus is on the promoter, not the athlete. If Invicta wanted the top 115 pounder in the world, they should have made a better offer. It's called PRIZE fighting for a reason. If you don't offer the top prize, you shouldn't expect to get the top athletes.

I didn't mention that she was afraid, I simply said she chose to get paid than to fight the best out there, something I also said you can't blame her for

It'll be tough for her to find opponents because Invicta and Deep Jewels have the best 115 fighters and they have a talent sharing deal.

Last edited:
Best strawweights not with Invicta and Deep Jewels according to MMARising rankings are Alida Grey, Patricia Vidonic, Stephanie Eggink, and Herica Tiburcio. Thats Aguilars best opponents right now.

Best strawweights not with Invicta and Deep Jewels according to MMARising rankings are Alida Grey, Patricia Vidonic, Stephanie Eggink, and Herica Tiburcio. Thats Aguilars best opponents right now.

Vidonic (9-6-0) has fought her twice and lost already, in 2012 and in 2013. (Late edit: I think pointing out that Vidonic had a great fight against Aguilar in their last fight is worth mentioning.)

Alida Gray has fought once at 115. I believe her next fight will be at 115, defending her Sugar Creek Showdown title, and that may very well be her chosen weight class. Gray also has a win over Vidonic. Gray is a good prospect but only 3-0-0 at the moment.

Eggink (4-1-0) is with XFC and is their 115 champion and she wants to fight at 125 as well. Cutting to 115 is tough for her. She is 5'8''.

Tiburio (6-2-0) is a very good fighter. Like a smaller version of Claudia Gadelha. Both of her losses are against good opponents, like Gadelha, who are bigger then her. Tiburio is 4'11''.

(Edit: When I made my list above I remembered that Vidonic had fought Aguilar twice already and that Eggink is with XFC so I decided not to include them as potential opponents, at least in the near term, for Aguilar.I thought about adding Gray in but decided against it until she fights twice in a row at 115; I figure if you start putting in fighters from Atomweight or Flyweight who could fight at Strawweight then this subject could get out of hand quick.)

Last edited:
Terrible news, was looking to Jag vs. Gadelha/Jag vs. Esparza II, but this is not at all surprising since we all know she had major money problems while sitting out on Bellator's bench.

I hope those short-term and infrequent WSOF paychecks are fat enough to worth wasting her prime in pointless fights against journeywomen once a year. But hey, as a bonus, may be those fights will help decorate JAG's record with something else other than the recent string of Decisions before she joins Invicta :D

Would be very interesting to see how long Aguilar will retain her #1 Strawweight status on the Concensus WMMA rankings as the division continues to go forward as she's busy defending her spot against Top 20 materials.

Last edited:
I agree with Arkain; I thought it would be just a matter of time before Invicta signed Jag. Ahhh...Jag vs. Gadelha, Jag vs. Esparza, Jag vs. Hamasaki (to avenge Megu), Jag vs. Herrig, Jag vs. Jojo, Jag vs. the Killer Bunny....all pipe dreams now...too bad. :(

Jarl

Iman Darabi (1-0-0) SE vs. Lena Tkhorevska (2-1-0) UA (PL) (Fought at a catchweight of 110lbs.)

Nice debut for Darabi. I have seen a good number of her amateur bouts in a number of different combat sports. Darabi also has a good chin, as I have seen Tkhorevska KO (better described as KD, likely broken nose) an opponent before when she landed a flush punch.

Since I talked up Tkhorevska I figured I ought to post her other fights. They are in spoiler tags.

Lena Tkhorevska (2-1-0) UA (PL) vs. Sylwia Juskiewicz (2-4-0) PL (Fought at 115lbs.)

I believe this is Juskiewicz's only fight at 115, her previous fights were at 125 and her last fight was at 125. Juskiewicz will be fighting Lithuanian's' Akvile Vitkauskaite (0-1-0) on Dec. 21st. Vitkauskaite hasn't fought since 2010 when she lost against Finland's Maiju Kujala.

Lena Tkhorevska (2-1-0) UA (PL) vs. Maria Błaszczuk (0-1-0) PL (Fought at 115lbs.)

Pro debut for both fighters. June 2013.

--
Alyona Rassohyna (9-2-0) UA vs. Lyudmyla Pylypchak (1-3-0) UA (Fought at strawweight.)

Fight starts around 2:40. Pylypchak has fought at 125lbs before; Rassohyna has a little trouble dealing with her size in this fight. Rassohyna's record may very well be (10-2-0). You'll notice that Rassohyna's Sherdog record is behind by 2-3 fights, two of which I have posted in the past week.

--
Daria (Darya) Ibragimova (4-1-0) UA vs. Ludmila (Lyudmila) Radko (1-3-0) BY (This is the heavies! 172lbs/168lbs)

You don't get to see Heavies all that often. I'm not at all certain I even have these women listed yet. I'll have to double check after searching the latest batch of Oplot videos. (Edit: This could be a rematch but the names are slightly different. Sherdog as a Radko from Belarus, and as a lightweight, recently listed as fighting Anastasiya Mazepa of whom I am familiar with. I knew I had seen a Radko previously, just not at that weight.)

I am going to assume these are the same people I think they are.

--
551360_538971132844278_2048652948_n.jpg

Invicta's efforts to zombiefy the world has commenced.
--
Livia Renata Souza (4-0-0) BR vs. Aline Sattelmayer (4-4-0) BR (Flyweight. 55kg/122lbs)

Starts about 10:30 in. This is their rematch. Fair warning. This is pretty much a one sided fight but people might be interested in seeing what Souza can do.

Souza is a flyweight but for some reason she is listed as strawweight on Sherdog's Fight Finder.

Sattelmayer has been jumping around in weight classes, between strawweight and flyweight. Her last fight, against Bruna Wing was at strawweight.

Last edited:
I hope those short-term and infrequent WSOF paychecks are fat enough to worth wasting her prime in pointless fights against journeywomen once a year.

She's already fought the Invicta champion and fought the WMMA GOAT twice. She has nothing left to prove. If WSOF is paying better than Invicta, then she did the right thing signing with WSOF. Her legacy is already assured. Those Invicta women need her to cement their legacies, not the other way around.

As long as WSOF is paying better, they should have no problem poaching fighters off of Invicta's roster as they become available. If Shannon Knapp is true to her word, she won't stand in the way of female fighters who have better opportunities. I'd hate to see Invicta go the Bellator route and use their contracts to prevent fighters from seeking better pay.

Would be very interesting to see how long Aguilar will retain her #1 Strawweight status on the Concensus WMMA rankings as the division continues to go forward as she's busy defending her spot against Top 20 materials.

As long as she keeps winning, there is no reason why she shouldn't remain at #1. Her next couple of fights might be mismatches, but after that we should see some Invicta fighters with expiring contracts making their way over to WSOF.

I love Invicta as a place where women can gain experience and have their own stage until better opportunities open up, but it appears that WSOF has offered Aguilar a better opportunity. No fighter should feel obligated to fight for a pittance just because that promoter has a bunch of other fighters under contract. Aguilar would have been a fool to pass up more money and the potential of having her fights broadcast on NBC Sports.

If Invicta can't keep pace with the compensation offered by other promoters, then they deserve to lose fighters. I for one look forward to the day when promoters start paying female fighters a substantial wage. If Invicta is incapable of making that happen, then they deserve to have their roster poached out from under them.

*As long as WSOF is paying better, they should have no problem poaching fighters off of Invicta's roster as they become available. If Shannon Knapp is true to her word, she won't stand in the way of female fighters who have better opportunities. I'd hate to see Invicta go the Bellator route and use their contracts to prevent fighters from seeking better pay.

As long as she keeps winning, there is no reason why she shouldn't remain at #1. Her next couple of fights might be mismatches, but after that we should see some Invicta fighters with expiring contracts making their way over to WSOF.

I love Invicta as a place where women can gain experience and have their own stage until better opportunities open up, but it appears that WSOF has offered Aguilar a better opportunity. No fighter should feel obligated to fight for a pittance just because that promoter has a bunch of other fighters under contract. Aguilar would have been a fool to pass up more money and the potential of having her fights broadcast on NBC Sports.

If Invicta can't keep pace with the compensation offered by other promoters, then they deserve to lose fighters. I for one look forward to the day when promoters start paying female fighters a substantial wage. If Invicta is incapable of making that happen, then they deserve to have their roster poached out from under them.

I seriously don't know where your often-repeated, never-substantiated theory about "Invicta's shit pay" is coming from, but each and every time it sounds as if you're presenting facts, much like the Twitter-based theory about their demise.

I've never got to see any hard numbers myself, but no one on the Invicta roster ever complain about the "shit pay" they're getting for each fight. In fact, what we have been hearing from them is quite the opposite really, and it's not like they're afraid to speak their mind about how Invicta takes care of them.

And yes, there's no doubt Jag is getting hazardous pay to be the poster child of WSOF. This well-known trail had been blazed years ago, by a shirt company goes by the name of Affliction.

WSOF may try to poach some girls from Invicta by dangling a wad of cash (while they still have some cash left on their credit line), but I highly doubt we will see a mass exodus when WSOF themselves have no real plan to establish a legitimate division around her (

Last edited:
V3 Fights: Milanowski vs. Orr

[YT]8z4ujuzF4Ko[/YT]

Last edited:
Invicta doesn't pay shit.

If WSOF is paying real money (which I assume is why Aguilar signed with them), they should have no problem poaching Invicta's roster.

TBF, Invicta's top talent is locked under long-term contracts. and WSOF getting JAG doesn't really mean much.

Indeed, I can`t imagine WSOF actually stealing away Invicta`s top talent (everyone seems to love fighting under their banner). It`s probably going to be more like people who can`t win in Invicta and are released will get picked up by WSOF (and then subsequently destroyed by Jag). I love watching her kick a$$, but I`m not sure how good those bouts will be (i.e. "Introducing, the #1 ranked straw weight in the world, Jessica Aguillar vs. the #63 ranked straw weight in the world, Brenda Slohdorski Van Chumpenheimer... DING, DING, DING...ooohh!!! Jag catches her with a vicious uppercut... It`s over, it`s over - at the 5 second mark of the first round. Your winner, Jessica Aguillar!!!!!!!!!!!!") :icon_lol:

Jarl

TBF, Invicta's top talent is locked under long-term contracts. and WSOF getting JAG doesn't really mean much.
That isn't entirely true since Cyborg only has one fight left on her deal. Same with Nakamoto and I believe Murphy. And those are the fighters we know of. Shannon Knapp has often said she would never stand in the way of her talent bettering themselves. Obviously she was talking about UFC, but does that extend to WSOF? Probably not, but who knows? They have television and greater exposure.

Getting jag actually does mean something. It means they have the top 115 fighter in the world and Invicta doesn't. Invicta isn't a charity or Happy Fun Land. It is a business. And as long as they don't have TV, one that will be in a very precarious position. Reading some of Knapp's recent comments leads me to believe that TV probably isn't happening anytime soon. Which is troublesome even going beyond the Janet Martin situation.

I don't really take WSOF's interest in WMMA seriously at the moment. But getting jag is a big deal and they could possibly could be a major player for talent under 125. That will effect Invicta. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. And shouldn't we want more places for female fighters?

We are basically in a holding pattern until UFC adds a 115 and 125 division. Until then, WSOF sees an opening and will add more female fighters. Once UFC makes its move, you'll see WMMA disappear from WSOF.

Last edited:
Indeed, I can`t imagine WSOF actually stealing away Invicta`s top talent (everyone seems to love fighting under their banner). It`s probably going to be more like people who can`t win in Invicta and are released will get picked up by WSOF (and then subsequently destroyed by Jag). I love watching her kick a$$, but I`m not sure how good those bouts will be (i.e. "Introducing, the #1 ranked straw weight in the world, Jessica Aguillar vs. the #63 ranked straw weight in the world, Brenda Slohdorski Van Chumpenheimer... DING, DING, DING...ooohh!!! Jag catches her with a vicious uppercut... It`s over, it`s over - at the 5 second mark of the first round. Your winner, Jessica Aguillar!!!!!!!!!!!!") :icon_lol:

Jarl

The worst thing about these exhibition matches between a well-known star and a can is that every now and then, the can hits back and embarrass the star.

I found a facebook page for Women's MMA in South Africa.

Some of these women appear to be professionals while others might be amateurs. I have had no luck finding any of these women listed anywhere in the usual places you would fight fighters and their records. Although I recall seeing one of these fights listed on Wombat Sports two weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthAfricanWomensMma

Back