ok enough games.. gimme lomo vs mikey garcia NOW!!!

Broner is a bigger win than any win Loma has besides Rigondeaux, and Mikey went up instead of having someone else come up to match him.

Mickey has great fundamental and intelligence. He boxes efficiently in the long and intermediate distances, not so much in close quarters. I was inclined towards Gamboa in that potential we never saw ( courtesy of Bob Arum...) and I believe against Loma, Mickey would be a bit slow to dictate the fight in his effective distance. Once Loma realizes Mickey moves striaght back after a frontal attack, he'll be able to penetrate Mickey guard and flank him from the left in close quaarters.

But even if I would expect this fight to be another Rigo/Nonito fight, I'd like to see it... and even be proved wrong!

I don't think Loma beats Mikey. I think he should face Beltran (who will likely be the WBO champ by the time he goes to LW) and Linares before Mikey, he'll need the time to adjust to the weight and gain more experience.

also, not to sound spiteful, but there were a lot of people calling for a Salido/Loma rematch, and I think the Salido fight the other night was solid proof that I was right to be against it. Can you imagine what Loma would have done? Salido has been a war-worn, aging vet for a while now, those who insisted on a Loma/Salido rematch weren't there for a competitive match, they just wanted to say that Loma was somehow avoiding a man who had gotten the piss beaten out of him by Rocky Martinez (and in reality, Salido pretty clearly had no interest in Loma).

Also, weird (but cool) fact: Salido has been stopped 5 times before fighting Roman, all of those against low tier opponents. Salido might be the only example I can think of where a fighters chin has gotten better against high tier opponents than against low tier opponents.

Broner is a bigger win than any win Loma has besides Rigondeaux, and Mikey went up instead of having someone else come up to match him.
I disagree. I think Walters was better than Broner. Both guys have flaws, but Walters was the better rounded fighter on a better career trajectory IMO. We know what level Broner is at. Walters was still something of a question mark, though not to the same degree he was earlier in his career.

Salido beat Loma. Mikey moves better and has better footwork than Salido.

They fight quite a bit differently. Garcia is a pretty measured boxer-puncher, whereas Salido is a fairly wild pressure fighter who likes to get inside and go to war, so we can't draw too much from the respective fights (not to mention Lomachenko is far better than he was then). Garcia is still a considerable challenge, though (he'd be by far the biggest challenge of Lomachenko's career).

I disagree. I think Walters was better than Broner. Both guys have flaws, but Walters was the better rounded fighter on a better career trajectory IMO. We know what level Broner is at. Walters was still something of a question mark, though not to the same degree he was earlier in his career.

I'm not sure about that, really. Walters' career wasn't exactly on the up and up when he fought Lomachenko as he was coming off a year long layoff after having a very competitive fight with the then unknown Sosa (who, while being decent, still struggled a ton with the ghost of Gamboa). He's a good win for Lomachenko, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a better win than Broner (especially considering that Garcia went up in weight to make that fight happen and gave up a fair bit of size).

Belchert is still the best 130 not named Vasyl and Loma has yet to face him, so I hope that happens before he goes to 135.

They fight quite a bit differently. Garcia is a pretty measured boxer-puncher, whereas Salido is a fairly wild pressure fighter who likes to get inside and go to war, so we can't draw too much from the respective fights (not to mention Lomachenko is far better than he was then). Garcia is still a considerable challenge, though (he'd be by far the biggest challenge of Lomachenko's career).

I agree that they fight differently, but to be clear I was really not claiming that they do. I was just refuting the idea that Mikey Garcia stands no chance because he's "stationary and moves in straight lines." I don't really think that's true in the first place, but it's also just not what Loma's history has shown us. I don't think it is going to take fancy footwork to beat Loma, I think it's going to take a very strong, hard hitting, creative combination puncher who just needs to have the movement necessary to force Loma into exchanges that he can't easily rotate out of. That is what Mikey can do, he can be steady and consistent in tracking you down and putting you against the ropes where it's more difficult to hit and move.

Saying that a guy needs fancy footwork to beat Loma is kind of like saying you have to be a volume puncher to beat Pacquiao. You're not going to out-volume Pacquiao, and you're not going to out-move Lomachenko. You have to take them out of that gameplan, not outmatch them at their own game.

Loma is still not ready for Mikey, give him 2 or more fights, maybe Linares next?

I agree that they fight differently, but to be clear I was really not claiming that they do. I was just refuting the idea that Mikey Garcia stands no chance because he's "stationary and moves in straight lines." I don't really think that's true in the first place, but it's also just not what Loma's history has shown us. I don't think it is going to take fancy footwork to beat Loma, I think it's going to take a very strong, hard hitting, creative combination puncher who just needs to have the movement necessary to force Loma into exchanges that he can't easily rotate out of. That is what Mikey can do, he can be steady and consistent in tracking you down and putting you against the ropes where it's more difficult to hit and move.

Saying that a guy needs fancy footwork to beat Loma is kind of like saying you have to be a volume puncher to beat Pacquiao. You're not going to out-volume Pacquiao, and you're not going to out-move Lomachenko. You have to take them out of that gameplan, not outmatch them at their own game.

I definitely agree with that. Garcia actually has excellent footwork even if it isn't as flashy as others (it's arguably his best asset); definitely some of the best in boxing. It's good in a similar way to how Arguello had great footwork.

Lomachenko-Broner at 135lbs in 2018.
Broner misses weight but TKOs Lomachenko late.

I wonder what the over/under on the amount of weight that Broner misses 135 by would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back