One in twenty Toronto residents can't speak English or French

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...cant-speak-english-or-french-study-finds.html

One in 20 Torontonians can’t speak English or French and the language barrier has greatly impeded their ability to find a job, be active in the community and enjoy a decent life, says a new study.

More than 132,700 Toronto residents are unable to have a conversation in either official language and they account for 20.5 per cent of the 648,970 non-English and non-French-speaking population across Canada, according to the Social Planning Toronto report which is believed to be the first ever to profile this cohort.

Census data collected between 1996 and 2016 found the number of people without knowledge of either official language has increased by more than 175,000 in Canada over the two decades, though it fluctuated only slightly as a percentage of the total population. In Toronto, the number of people who don’t speak English or French shrank by 10,000 in the same period.

In the GTA, Toronto’s percentage of non-English and non-French speakers ranks second to York Region (5.6 per cent) and is followed by Peel (4 per cent), Hamilton (1.8 per cent) and Durham (0.8 per cent).

Within the city, this population mostly resides in the west end of North York, throughout the former city of York, in the old city of Toronto and in northwestern Scarborough, which alone is home to more than 30,000 residents with no English or French.

The report found a total of 43.5 per cent of Toronto residents who do not speak an official language reported a Chinese language as their mother tongue, followed by Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Tamil, Vietnamese, Korean, Persian, Russian and Arabic. These residents also tend to live in areas where their mother tongue is common, it said.

“There is a range of diversity within the group, but we have an overrepresentation of seniors and women who don’t speak English or French,” said Peter Clutterbuck, interim executive director of Social Planning Toronto, a non-profit group that works to improve equity, social justice and quality of life. “You can’t get employment without some capacity of an official language or access services if you are unable to communicate with others. It limits your ability to be active in the community and to feel connected.”

The report, titled Talking Access & Equity, said women and girls make up almost 60 per cent of Toronto residents who speak neither official language, though they only account for 51.9 per cent of the city’s population.

While only 15.6 per cent of Toronto residents are 65 and above, 44.6 per cent of the city’s non-English, non-French-speaking population belong to this age group.

The report said both women and seniors are more likely to come to Canada as dependants and hence may lack the same official-language skills required of the principal applicants or sponsors.

Fahmeeda Qureshi was sponsored by her husband to Canada from Pakistan in 1972 when she was 18, and never attended English classes because she was busy caring for her three children, parents and in-laws.

“I was too busy to learn English because I had to look after everyone else,” said the now 66-year-old, who spoke little English when she arrived and later picked up the language informally from her husband and children. “It is very important to learn English so you can communicate and do anything you want and be independent.”

Robert Koil, who came to Canada in 1992 and later founded a Tamil seniors group in Rexdale, said older immigrants without English proficiency are forced to rely on their children in their day-to-day lives as they’re often isolated from the world outside of their family.

“They don’t know other people and need help for mobility issues and health issues,” said Koil, 88, whose group organizes monthly seminars and meetings at Rexdale Women’s Centre for non-English-speaking Tamil seniors about health, diet and well-being.

“They speak in their mother tongue at home, stay with their children and are afraid to speak English because they are embarrassed by their English,” added Koil, who unlike many of the people he helps, spoke flawless English when he arrived in Canada.

Jenny Huang moved to Canada from China in 2009 with her daughter and husband.

“I only started learning English in junior high (in China) and knew just a few English words when I came,” Huang said in Cantonese. “I go to English classes but it’s hard to learn a new language as an adult. I can understand better than I speak.”

With limited English, Huang said she also has limited job opportunities and gets by working in restaurants and garment factories.

The report found 35.7 per cent of Torontonians with no English or French had a household income below the poverty line compared to 20.2 per cent of residents overall. The unemployment rate for residents without official-language ability was three percentage points higher than the Toronto average.

What do you guys think? I would imagine one of the basic necessities of being an immigrant is at least knowing the language. 1 in 20 sounds ridiculous to me. You essentially can't communicate with two people on your bus. To put this in perspective, gay people only make up 1.7% of the population, so there are 3x more people who don't speak the native language than homosexuals in the population.

Is normal. They cant speak english but their kids can and will.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...cant-speak-english-or-french-study-finds.html

What do you guys think? I would imagine one of the basic necessities of being an immigrant is at least knowing the language. 1 in 20 sounds ridiculous to me. You essentially can't communicate with two people on your bus. To put this in perspective, gay people only make up 1.7% of the population, so there are 3x more people who don't speak the native language than homosexuals in the population.
Can you tell me what the word "Toronto" means without the help of the Internet?

Will they? Honestly I think it is more important right now to know Mandarin/Cantonese if you live in Markham than English.

I refuse to believe that......sure, they may not be fluent in English. But not speak English no way

<{cruzshake}>

This is not normal and is probably going to get worse in the future.

30% of Canadian students need ESL: Peel board
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/30-of-canadian-students-need-esl-peel-board-1.1033442

Almost 29 per cent of elementary school students served by the Peel District School Board need help with their English despite being born in Canada, according to numbers released to CBC News.

The situation in Canada is really messed up. Ontario is flirting with the idea of universal basic income due to the fact that robots will be taking over many jobs and at the same time Canada is increasing immigration to absurd levels.

I'm amazed by how many immigrants including young ones can't speak English.

Toronto could welcome almost 170,000 immigrants over the next 3 years — are we ready?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-immigration-1.4383867
Nearly one million immigrants will be coming to Canada over the next three years, and tens of thousands of them will wind up in Toronto — but is the city ready for an influx of newcomers?

On the heels of the Liberal government's newly-announced strategy to boost immigration levels in the years ahead, Toronto immigration experts are raising questions about whether there is adequate support for the rising tide of economic migrants, family reunifications and refugees, in a city where both stable work and housing can be hard to find.

"The rate of unemployment for racialized immigrant women is very, very high," says Catherine McNeely, the executive director of Newcomer Women's Services, a non-profit settlement organization.

The latest census data shows more than 55 per cent of visible minority residents in Toronto are living on less than $30,000 a year, she adds.

"When they do get work, it's minimum wage, it's precarious, it's shift work," she says. "We serve a huge number of women who live just north of the Danforth, where ... 57 per cent of the households have incomes under $40,000."

Will they? Honestly I think it is more important right now to know Mandarin/Cantonese if you live in Markham than English.

I live in richmond hill. Work in markham. Most of the people where i live are chinese or Iranian in my neighbourhood. Maybe 90% and higher can speak english. Those that cant are usually seniors. The workplace is south asian/asian/white/black.

I refuse to believe that......sure, they may not be fluent in English. But not speak English no way

It's true and the one of many reasons why I'm against our immigration policy and multicultural brainwashing.

<{cruzshake}>

This is not normal and is probably going to get worse in the future.

30% of Canadian students need ESL: Peel board
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/30-of-canadian-students-need-esl-peel-board-1.1033442

Almost 29 per cent of elementary school students served by the Peel District School Board need help with their English despite being born in Canada, according to numbers released to CBC News.

The situation in Canada is really messed up. Ontario is flirting with the idea of universal basic income due to the fact that robots will be taking over many jobs and at the same time Canada is increasing immigration to absurd levels.

I'm amazed by how many immigrants including young ones can't speak English.

Toronto could welcome almost 170,000 immigrants over the next 3 years — are we ready?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-immigration-1.4383867
Nearly one million immigrants will be coming to Canada over the next three years, and tens of thousands of them will wind up in Toronto — but is the city ready for an influx of newcomers?

On the heels of the Liberal government's newly-announced strategy to boost immigration levels in the years ahead, Toronto immigration experts are raising questions about whether there is adequate support for the rising tide of economic migrants, family reunifications and refugees, in a city where both stable work and housing can be hard to find.

"The rate of unemployment for racialized immigrant women is very, very high," says Catherine McNeely, the executive director of Newcomer Women's Services, a non-profit settlement organization.

The latest census data shows more than 55 per cent of visible minority residents in Toronto are living on less than $30,000 a year, she adds.

"When they do get work, it's minimum wage, it's precarious, it's shift work," she says. "We serve a huge number of women who live just north of the Danforth, where ... 57 per cent of the households have incomes under $40,000."

Been living in the area since 1996. Normal as fuck if you picked out 20 random people, one of them has bad english.

“I always sort of laugh when you see people who are – not many of them, but – intolerant or who think, ‘Go back to your own country,’” Trudeau said in the television interview.

“No!” Trudeau continued. “You chose this country. This is your country more than it is for others because we take it for granted.”

Been living in the area since 1996. Normal as fuck if you picked out 20 random people, one of them has bad english.

This is not normal for a country. I know you're a minority and want to believe everything is fine, but it's not.

Question:
If
Trudeau is ousted and a conservative government (unlikely?) comes in, all these long term policies and immigrant housing promises will be kept?

This is not normal for a country. I know you're a minority and want to believe everything is fine, but it's not.

It really is in Canada. I bet most people didnt even read the article.

While only 15.6 per cent of Toronto residents are 65 and above, 44.6 per cent of the city’s non-English, non-French-speaking population belong to this age group.

The report said both women and seniors are more likely to come to Canada as dependants and hence may lack the same official-language skills required of the principal applicants or sponsors.

So there is a 40% chance that the 1 in 20 theyre talking about arent even working age.

Immigrants who don't speak English or French end up working in ethnic 'enclaves:' report

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...rench-end-up-working-in-ethic-enclaves-report

OTTAWA — Immigrants who work in ethnic “enclaves” in major cities earn less than other Canadians and have a tougher time adapting to this country’s economy, according to an internal federal government document.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/nothing-to-write-home-about/

Tilting the system toward family reunification and away from skilled workers diminished the economic benefits that had traditionally come with immigration. But it maximized the political benefits to Trudeau. This endeared many existing immigrant communities to the Liberals and encouraged wide swaths of new Canadians to vote for Trudeau when the time came.

They tell us we need more of these immigrants and universal basic income because of robots?

tenor.gif

It really is in Canada. I bet most people didnt even read the article.

So there is a 40% chance that the 1 in 20 theyre talking about arent even working age.

This is not normal for Canada and is something that has recently happened thanks to Trudeau. Gotta get those liberal votes one way or another. I get it, you're an immigrant and want to think everything is fine.

The kids of immigrants are going to school with poor English and immigrants that can work struggle. This is not normal for a country.

This is not normal for Canada and is something that has recently happened thanks to Trudeau. Gotta get those liberal votes one way or another. I get it, you're an immigrant and want to think everything is fine.

The kids of immigrants are going to school with poor English and immigrants that can work struggle. This is not normal for a country.

Obviously the kids of immigrants are going to have poor english at first. Ive been there myself lol.

Obviously the kids of immigrants are going to have poor english at first. Ive been there myself lol.

<Huh2>

Parents should be making sure that they themselves and their kids speak English. Another nail in the coffin of multiculturalism. Canada's official languages are English and French.

There's a Dim Sum place I go to sometimes where the waiters can't speak a word of English. You just point at things on their cart and hope for the best. They then offer a cash discount so as not to pay taxes. Forget it, it's Chinatown.

<Huh2>

Parents should be making sure that they themselves and their kids speak English. Another nail in the coffin of multiculturalism. Canada's official languages are English and French.

Youre a kid who has moved to another country with a different language. You are going to learn the language over a couple of years. Cartoons, TV and school will get you up to speed but it will take some time. This isnt rocket science.

Learning a native language should be a basic requirement for immigration.

Back