One in twenty Toronto residents can't speak English or French

Meh. We couldn't speak English either when we moved here. The difference? We didn't move to an ethnic enclave so learned the language out of necessity. Too many newcomers in too short a time span tend to congregate amongst their own, thereby removing that necessity. And that's the problem. Every big western city has a Chinatown or Little Italy where many folks don't speak the local language as they can work and live amongst other expats. And that's fucked.

its not really F'ed. most of the people who complain about such things would never speak to an immigrant anyway.

and ethnic enclaves have always existed. ever seen gangs of new york? a lot of that movie is exaggerated, but its based in enough history to make the point.

You’re an idiot for thinking a child cannot learn multiple language growing up. The best time to learn is from the beginning. Start them at young age and it generally stays with them as long as they use it (at home or in the community).

As a matter of fact your friend’s child is in the best situation to be multilingual. English will be naturally learned through community exposure (school, friends, watching tv, movies, etc..). And the child could easily learn Macedonian (Slavic) and Tagalog language at home. If they wanted him to learn a language that is neither the community language or their native home language then that’s when it gets way more difficult but people do it (with money to hire a tutor). Your friend’s kid first language will always be the community language (English). Everything else will be extra gravy.

You underestimate how well children can learn languages. My parents barely knew any french and my brother and I had no problem learning french and Cantonese. Then we learned English when we moved to Australia. I learned English (and was out of ESL classes) in less than a year.
You need to relax. I haven't said anything inflammatory about anyone who has to take esl classes.

He's an idiot for wanting his son to get a grasp of his country's native tongue before learning other languages? He doesn't want to prevent him from learning them, he just want him to focus on English first.
Overreaction and short sighted

My sons were practically raised by by my parents and my in laws who speak 99.9% Vietnamese for almost 4 years

After 6 months in day care or kindergarten all they do is speak English

You need to relax. I haven't said anything inflammatory about anyone who has to take esl classes.

Lol. You’re daft if u think that’s my issue. I think your friend doesn’t exist and u’re making shit up. If not your friend is an idiot for not appreciating the fact that his child is blessed to be in a multi-lingual family. He should jump in and teach him his language too. Learning multiple languages help develop the brain better. There are no negatives for children to learn multiple languages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back