Original Night Stalker/East area rapist discussion

I’m not going to say that Madoff didn’t hurt people because he did. And I hate pieces of shit like him so much. But creating a ponzu scheme that ultimately results in people taking their own lives a hugely different than breaking into their homes and raping them before you murder them.

On a purely primal level, yes. However, if you take the emotion out of it, and look at purely from an analytical standpoint, and the lives that were impacted, one could argue that what Bernie did was worse, simply because of the magnitude and potential variables of the effects of his crimes.

We'll never really know how much pain and suffering Bernie caused. You hear about the suicides of course, but you don't hear about the people who became drug addicts, or drunks, or bums, who may have even became pieces of shit themselves, and started beating their wives and kids, or whatever. I mean, who knows? In the future we may be reading about a serial killer whoso inner rage was triggered by getting fucked over by Bernie Madoff. Or a kid whose parent committed suicide over it, and was left without a father/mother, and blamed that on him turning to a life of crime.

So yeah, on a primal level, Night Stalker is worse. However the ripple effect to what Bernie did is immeasurable.

Still, I think Madoff and other white collar criminals should get harsher punishments.

Bernie got a pretty stiff punishment.

I’m not going to say that Madoff didn’t hurt people because he did. And I hate pieces of shit like him so much. But creating a ponzu scheme that ultimately results in people taking their own lives a hugely different than breaking into their homes and raping them before you murder them.

It’s like the difference between being someone eats food, of which the process of making or harvesting it kills a bunch of animals living in the corn fields, and going outside with a knife and just slaughtering a bunch of animals for the fuck of it.

Still, I think Madoff and other white collar criminals should get harsher punishments.

He did get 151 yrs so I dont' think he got a pass for being a white collar criminal.

I think people are underestimating the reach of Madoff's impact. A hospital ran out of money and had to stop bone marrow transplants a bunch of cancer patients died IIRC. That's just one thing. So in effect he actually did kill people.

On a purely primal level, yes. However, if you take the emotion out of it, and look at purely from an analytical standpoint, and the lives that were impacted, one could argue that what Bernie did was worse, simply because of the magnitude and potential variables of the effects of his crimes.

We'll never really know how much pain and suffering Bernie caused. You hear about the suicides of course, but you don't hear about the people who became drug addicts, or drunks, or bums, who may have even became pieces of shit themselves, and started beating their wives and kids, or whatever. I mean, who knows? In the future we may be reading about a serial killer whoso inner rage was triggered by getting fucked over by Bernie Madoff. Or a kid whose parent committed suicide over it, and was left without a father/mother, and blamed that on him turning to a life of crime.

So yeah, on a primal level, Night Stalker is worse. However the ripple effect to what Bernie did is immeasurable.

Bernie got a pretty stiff punishment.

Intent matters. He intended to screw people out of money. The fact that there were unintended consequences of that which caused people to die is horrible, but not the same at all as killing them yourself. And he’s probably not in with the general population is my guess. More likely he is in with other white collar criminals. But i’m glad he’s in there. I just wish he was in with the guys who would rape him.

He did get 151 yrs so I dont' think he got a pass for being a white collar criminal.

I think people are underestimating the reach of Madoff's impact. A hospital ran out of money and had to stop bone marrow transplants a bunch of cancer patients died IIRC. That's just one thing. So in effect he actually did kill people.
Prolly would have gotten a slap on the wrist anyway if he hadnt committed the cardinal sin: he ripped off the rich and powerful.

I can't help but chuckle a little bit at the thought that this psychopath now has to live with the fact that the whole world knows he's got a tiny penis. I like to think at least part of his silence and befuddled demeanour is due to intense embarrassment and hurt pride. Didn't have a plan for that, did he. The utter pos.

I can't help but chuckle a little bit at the thought that this psychopath now has to live with the fact that the whole world knows he's got a tiny penis. I like to think at least part of his silence and befuddled demeanour is due to intense embarrassment and hurt pride. Didn't have a plan for that, did he. The utter pos.
<bball2>

I'm adding this to the OP. Absolutely worth a listen for those that are following this case.

Listen to the first episode at 29:00 to 35:00 where they describe the 4th rape. Holy shit, they say "something like police would use" 4 times. They also say later in the first one that he was always one step ahead and wondered if he had a police radio or a friend in the police dept!?!?!

Did it occur to them that he was a cop?

I'm just on the second one now and the mention of body odor keeps coming up. I wonder if that was the dog repellent or if he was using a bike to make quick getaways.

Last edited:

His wife must have suspected him of being the EAR/ONS.

this reddit summary is very good, regarding what is known.

General info

• DNA is a 100% match. Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. is the East Area Rapist / Original Night Stalker / Golden State Killer.

• See his mugshot here and arraignment video here

• Law enforcement has also confirmed he is the Visalia Ransacker.

• He was identified through a DNA match with a 4th cousin on gedmatch.com.

• He was in the Navy from 1964 to 1968 (this varies from source to source).

• He was a law enforcement officer in Exeter during the Visalia Ransacker crimes. He worked in the Auburn Police Department during the East Area Rapist crimes.

• He was fired from Auburn PD in August 1979 for shoplifting.

• He lived in Citrus Heights and worked as a mechanic for Save Mart's distribution center in Roseville from 1989 to his retirement in 2017.

• He is being charged the following:
    • In Sacramento County: the 1978 murders of Brian Maggiore and Katie Maggiore. See the court records here and related reddit thread.
    • In Ventura County: the 1980 murders of Lyman Smith and Charlene Smith. See the court records here and related reddit thread.
    • In Orange County: the 1980 murder of Keith Harrington; the 1980 rape and murder of Patrice Harrington; the 1981 rape and murder of Manuela Witthuhn; and the 1986 rape and murder of Janelle Cruz. See the court records here and related reddit thread.
    • In Santa Barbara County: the 1979 rape and murder of Debra Alexandria Manning; the 1979 murder of Robert Offerman; the 1981 rape and murder of Cheri Domingo; and the 1981 murder of Greg Sanchez. See the court records here and related reddit thread.
  • His next court appearance is on May 14th, 2018.

• Paul Holes revealed additional information at CrimeCon 2018. See here.
Timeline

• I also posted an infographic timeline here which will be updated as more information comes out.

• Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. was born in Bath, New York on November 8th, 1945.

• His parents, Kathleen DeGroat and Joseph DeAngelo, married on November 20th, 1941 in Elmira Heights, New York.

• He has 2 sisters and one brother.

• His father served in World War II.

• His parents divorced at some point.

• His mother, Kathleen, remarried to Jack Bosanko.

• The family moved to Auburn, California when DeAngelo was a teenager.

• His mother worked at a Denny's in Auburn. His stepfather worked at Sierra Crane & Hoist Company as a welder building indoor overhead cranes.

• He attended Folsom High School between 1961-1963 (it is unclear if and when he dropped out). Sources report that he received his G.E.D. in June 1964.

• He enlisted in the Navy in September 1964 and completed Naval Training in San Diego, California from October through December.

• He was a 2nd class damage controlman (DC2) on the USS Canberra (circa 65-67) and the USS Piedmont (circa 1968) during the Vietnam war.

• Reports say he served for 22 months, but this needs to be confirmed, because the timeline does not fit.

• This article from June 1967 says he was returning home, but we also know he was on the USS Piedmont in 1968.

• He enrolled at Sierra College in Rocklin, California in August 1968. He graduated in December 1970 with an Associate's Degree in Police Science with honors.

• Sometime around May 1970 he got engaged to Bonnie, but they did not get married. Bonnie married another man in August 1972.

• He worked for his step-father at Sierra Crane & Hoist Company around this time.

• He enrolled in California State University in Sacramento, California in Spring 1971. He received a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice in June 1972.

• Sometime between 1972 and 1973 he completed a 32-week internship for the Roseville Patrol (possibly in the Identification and Investigation Divisions (source needed)).

• He joined the Exeter Police Department on May 19, 1973. He was promoted to sergeant at some point. He worked in the "joint attack on burglary" task force. He worked there until some point in 1976.

• While working on the Exeter police force he was operating as the Visalia Ransacker (VR). The first confirmed VR activity is April 6th, 1974. There are unconfirmed reports going back to May 1973 which is when Deangelo joined the Exeter PD.

• In November of 1973 he married Sharon in Auburn, California, in Auburn First Congregational Church.

• Sharon graduated from San Juan High School and attended American River College.

• On September 11th, 1975 the VR attempted to abduct Beth Snelling and gunned downed her father, Claude Snelling.

• On December 10th, 1975 the Visalia police did a stakeout in an attempt to catch the Visalia Ransacker. The Ransacker encountered detective William McGowen and fired a gun at him, hitting his flashlight.

• There are two more unconfirmed reports of a prowler on January 18th, 1976 and a ransacking on October 24th, 1976. The Visalia Ransacker did not appear in Visalia again.

• Sometime during 1976 he left Exeter and was hired at the Auburn Police Department. This article from May 1976 says he still worked in Exeter

• He worked for Auburn PD from 1976 until August 1979 while operating as the East Area Rapist (EAR)

• June 18th, 1976 is the first confirmed attack of the East Area Rapist.

• The EAR shot and killed Brian and Katie Maggiore in Rancho Cordova on February 2nd, 1978.

• The last known attack of the EAR in Northern California was July 5th, 1979 in Danville.

• On July 21st, 1979 he was caught shoplifting a hammer and dog repellant from 'Pay & Save' in Citrus Heights. The employees tied him to a chair and he was in an "emotional state" when police arrived.

• He was fired from the Auburn PD in August 1979 for the shoplifting incident. He initially appealed the firing, but later dropped the appeal after being found guilty in criminal court.

• The October 1st, 1979 attack in Goleta is the first attack attributed to the Original Night Stalker (ONS). He aborted the attack when he lost control of the two victims. He was chased by FBI Agent Stan Los, but escaped.

• On October 31, 1979 he was found guilty of the shoplifting charges and was sentenced to six months of probation and a $100 fine.

• December 30, 1979 - Dr. Robert Offerman and Alexandria Manning are murdered in Goleta.

• March 13th, 1980 - Lyman & Charlene Smith are murdered in Ventura.

• On April 11th, 1980 he bought his current Citrus Heights home on Canyon Oak Dr. Some sources are reporting this was in 1983.

• August 19th, 1980 - Keith and Patrice Harrington are murdered in Dana Point.

• February 6th, 1981 - Manuela Witthuhn is murdered in Irvine.

• July 27th, 1981 - Cheri Domingo and Greg Sanchez are murdered in Goleta.

• In September 1981 his first child is born in Sacramento, California.

• There is a gap spanning nearly five years where no known crimes occurred.

• In December 1982 his wife is admitted to the State Bar of California. She had attended McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific in Sacramento, California.

• May 4th, 1986 - Janelle Cruz is murdered in Irvine.

• In November 1986 his second child was born in Los Angeles County, California.

• During 1987 his wife's license to practice law was inactive for 8 months, but was then active again.

• In May 1989 his third child was born in Sacramento, California.

• August 1989 he began working as a mechanic at Save Mart's Distribution Center in Roseville, California.

• In 1991, he and his wife Sharon separate.

• The LA Times is reporting that, in July 2012, he was arrested for driving under the influence.

• In 2017 he retired from Save Mart.

• In March 2018, he was identified as a suspect via a public DNA Database, GEDmatch.

• On April 24th, 2018 he was arrested at his home on Canyon Oak Rd in Citrus Heights, California. See the mugshot here.
Timeline since arrest

• April 24th, 2018 - Murder charges filed in Sacramento County and Ventura County

• April 25th, 2018 - Murder charges filed in Orange County.

• On April 27th, 2018 he appeared before a judge in Sacramento with his public defender. Arraigned Friday on two murder charges in February 1978 killings of Brian and Katie Maggiore.

• May 2nd, 2018 - His public defender asked "the court to enjoin the district attorney from taking further DNA, major case prints or body photographs from DeAngelo." News segment here. Another hearing scheduled for May 3rd, 2018 at 08:30 PST.

• May 3rd, 2018 - The judge allowed investigators to collect DeAngelo’s DNA and to take photographs of his body. Article here.

• May 10th, 2018 - Murder charges filed in Santa Barbara County.

• Another court date is set for May 14th, 2018 in Sacramento.

Until I read this summary it didn't hit me that he was married the entire time. His wife knew. You can bet on it.

Holy shit ---- this Buzzfeed article is giving me nightmares.

At age 10 DeAngelo watched 2 airman rape his 7 year old sister at a military airbase in Germany.

could you please link the article? I had not heard that before and didn't see it listed on the reddit summary just posted. That is cray

Back