Media Ortega Says He Couldn’t Hear the Ref and Tap was Soft

Wormwood

Rest in Peace BWR
@Black
Reaction score
When asked why Ortega held on to the the submission after the ref called off the fight, he stated because of the weight cut he couldn’t hear properly. He also said the tap from Yair was soft. Ultimately he stated he was in the zone and didn’t initially know the fight was ended by the ref, and when he came to, he felt very apologetic.

Ortega also stated the rolled ankle affected him mentally in the fight implying it lead to Yair’s success in the first round.

Plausible explanation for the extended hold on the submission?

half-baked.gif

Yair's tap was light since he was passing out but the ref hitting Ortega's arm was not light and the ref then forcefully trying to pull his arm off Yair's neck was definitely not subtle at all. Thankfully Ortega finally snapped out of it before the ref progressed to soccer kicks, but dude went full pit bull mode locking that shit in.

Walker injures himself after the fight.
Ortega before.

Last edited:
Referee: You fight until I say stop and when I say stop you stop, okay. Any questions?

*Ortega locks in sub and Yair taps*

Referee: stop! Stop! Stop!!!
*Ortega keeps choking*
Referee pulls Ortega off and yells at him

Ortega:
<{Joewithit}>

Yair's tap was almost nothing at all, no way he felt that

The way he reacted after it was obvious he wasn't trying to hold the choke longer. The crowd was screaming, he was applying a hard choke which is an intense thing to do for that long.

Honestly we saw it wasn't a dirty move on his part, Yair tapped with the end of his fingers and I guess Ortega was full power on the submission and was only thinking about that. Never underestimate the fact that they are on full adrenaline rush.

Back