Media Ortega Says He Couldn’t Hear the Ref and Tap was Soft

Sounds like evidence to force him up a weight class. Dude is going deaf from fighting at his current weight. For his health, he should fight 10 pounds up from now on.

When asked why Ortega held on to the the submission after the ref called off the fight, he stated because of the weight cut he couldn’t hear properly. He also said the tap from Yair was soft. Ultimately he stated he was in the zone and didn’t initially know the fight was ended by the ref, and when he came to, he felt very apologetic.

Ortega also stated the rolled ankle affected him mentally in the fight implying it lead to Yair’s success in the first round.

Plausible explanation for the extended hold on the submission?

I clicked to hear what Brian had to say about not releasing the hold, but all I could concentrate on was Meagan Olivi in that dress.

Yair's tap was almost nothing at all, no way he felt that

The way he reacted after it was obvious he wasn't trying to hold the choke longer. The crowd was screaming, he was applying a hard choke which is an intense thing to do for that long.
It was a pretty delicate tap

hearing the ref has always been overrated anyways

That was the deepest head and arm choke I’ve seen. I’ll give him a pass.
Tell that to this guy:

It was a super soft tap so I get that part. However ref was pulling on his arm and yelling at him so that's a little harder to defend....kinda felt he was trying to put an explanation mark on the sub finish but whatever at the end of the day everyone is ok so it's all good.

He was *clearly* surprised and apologetic immediately after releasing...zero reason to not believe that he didn't feel the tap or hear the ref.

Obviously, it would have been a bigger deal if he was cranking on a joint lock...in this case, not much harm done, thankfully.

I don't mind watching Yair losing in front of his homecrowd. Too much for a guy who was going to "fuck up" Topuria lol.

Feed Ortega to Evloev next. Even Emmett makes sense. Ortega has not been active and besides Yair he has not beaten someone with a pulse in years.

That should be added to the big book of MMA excuses. "I was deaf".

Weight cut caused him to be deaf????? Also the ref was tugging his arms. You don't need ears to sense that. He should've just left it at he was tunnel visioned on the submission.

If you roll you know that trying to be as tight as possible needs to engage a lot of your muscles in and focus on squeezing and that sensory overload makes you fail to notice when sometime starts tapping. Like he said he got in the zone.

I mean it's whatever. It's hard to be mad at a guy who's going to need adult diapers by the time he hits 40.

Ortega needs an intervention from the weight cutting and damage he's taking. Dude is falling to bits.

Bad blood imo. Didn't they have beef going into the first fight? Or about the way the first fight ended?

Honestly we saw it wasn't a dirty move on his part, Yair tapped with the end of his fingers and I guess Ortega was full power on the submission and was only thinking about that. Never underestimate the fact that they are on full adrenaline rush.
This. I can only imagine how psyched he was to get that in after getting battered in the first.

This. I can only imagine how psyched he was to get that in after getting battered in the first.

I'm honestly surprised we don't see more of this in MMA where guys are just so fully in the zone that the world around them disappears and a ref grabbing your arms or whatever goes unnoticed

I'm honestly surprised we don't see more of this in MMA where guys are just so fully in the zone that the world around them disappears and a ref grabbing your arms or whatever goes unnoticed
Yeah the level of restraint and presence of mind these fighters display is a skill itself.

Back