• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Out of the GOAT'S, who had the most stacked competition?

Out of the GOATS, who had the most stacked competition?

• Total voters
@Jones :correction add Rampage, Evans, Lionheart, Sonnen, TRT Belfort
Finished 6 out the 12 opponents during his title rain 7 out of 13 if you count the second DC fight.
  • Longest win streak in UFC light heavyweight division history (thirteen)
  • Most consecutive light heavyweight title defenses in UFC history (eight)
  • Most consecutive light heavyweight title bouts in UFC history (thirteen)
  • Most successful light heavyweight title defenses in UFC history (nine)
  • Most submission victories in UFC light heavyweight division history (five)
  • Most wins in UFC light heavyweight division history (eighteen)
Seriously is there any doubt.
Belfort is on my list for Jones

Jones = 8 – Shogun, Bader, Machida, Vitor, Gus x2, Teix & DC (DC Once… the 2nd one he cheated - (keep an eye on Lionheart)

Per the rest, I guess you didn't read the criteria I made my list by. My list only counted wins by opponents who did well vs top competition AFTER they fought the goat. I did this in an effort to weed out those who were at the end of their career, or just wasn't that good to begin with. Wins against people in a lower division weren't counted either.

"End of Career" is a big concern with many of the people in any GOAT discussion - Evans' only significant wins after Jones was in the weight division below... so that doesn't get a GOAT point from me no matter how many accolades Evans got when he was in his prime.

Just like Fedor doesn't get a GOAT point for Coleman 2. (it's a discussion for another time, but Coleman was never the same when he came back from that bad injury prior to Fedor vs. Coleman 1, but he looked in top shape still, so I gave it to him, but it's disputable.)

Same with Rampage... who did he beat after Jones? low level fighters & a Wand who is also out of his prime.

Last edited:
Legendary names don't mean as much depending on when you face them. Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Vitor, Shogun... these guys weren't in their peak or anything close to their peak levels when Jones got them.

Its a good resume but the names out of context make it seem greater than it is.

Its baffling that people mention Rashad, Machida and Shogun out of their primes

Shad and Machida were UFC champions with single losses in their careers to new UFC champions.

A single loss to a champion

And Shogun was champ pulling off the best victory of his career.

If a single loss to a champ means out of prime. Then EVERYONE is out of their prime (including DC after losing to Jones and returning to dominate HW)

How is Shogun not on this list?

List of MMA Hall of Famers that he fought:

Jon Jones, Lyoto Machida (twice), Chuck Liddell, Big Nog (twice), Rampage Jackson, Alistair Overeem, Mark Coleman (twice), Kevin Randleman, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, Babalu Sobral, Alexander Gustafsson, and Chael Sonnen.

Is this sarcasm??
Shogun lost to half of those fighters

Its baffling that people mention Rashad, Machida and Shogun out of their primes

Shad and Machida were UFC champions with single losses in their careers to new UFC champions.

A single loss to a champion

And Shogun was champ pulling off the best victory of his career.

If a single loss to a champ means out of prime. Then EVERYONE is out of their prime (including DC after losing to Jones and returning to dominate HW)
hmmm... jus´curious...why would the Machida win be better than the Arona & Reem wins in the same night of the Pide MW GP ?

hmmm... jus´curious...why would the Machida win be better than the Arona & Reem wins in the same night of the Pide MW GP ?
I didnt mention them.
Just its erroneous to suggest after a single loss to a champion a fighter isn"over the hill"

I didnt mention them.
Just its erroneous to suggest after a single loss to a champion a fighter isn"over the hill"
"best win" ya said...

Anyway, a prime is also not about winning or losing. U can still be winning and no longer be in your prime: this is called fight IQ & experience, mental warfare too (see the B-Hop case).

it's between GSP and jones.

nahh...
Who had the most stacked competition is basically another version of the question who was the best fighter in the World.
And it's a competition only between GSP and Fedor.

Hes also lost to middleweights

catchweight at 205 is not middleweight.

In the other news... Andrei Arlovski lost to a WW.

nahh...
Who had the most stacked competition is basically another version of the question who was the best fighter in the World.
And it's a competition only between GSP and Fedor.

catchweight at 205 is not middleweight.

In the other news... Andrei Arlovski lost to a WW.

Fedor wasn't 205lbs when he got knocked out by old man Dan and Rumble damn sure wasn't 170lbs when he beat AA

Andy and JJ cant be qualified for this poll, obvious cheaters dont count

GSP
Fedor

Jones is a PROVEN cheater so I don’t even consider him in the discussion.

Andy and JJ cant be qualified for this poll, obvious cheaters dont count
If USADA testing is the disqualifier.
Gsp left town before USADA rode in and Fedor was in Pride where "cheating" was encouraged

If USADA testing is the disqualifier.
Gsp left town before USADA rode in and Fedor was in Pride where "cheating" was encouraged
Gsp and fedor both were tested, never positive
Big difference

Jon Jones is the correct answer

Fedor wasn't 205lbs when he got knocked out by old man Dan and Rumble damn sure wasn't 170lbs when he beat AA

They were roughly the same weight. It was a catchweight bout and sure as hell Dan Henderson wasn't a middleweight as shertards continue to insist.

Back