Overwatch Official Discussion, v2: ELO Hell (hello darkness my old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once O.K. showed me how her primary fire works she became much more interesting that's for sure
She comes in handy when you can get all 6 turrets up in a choke point or enclosed space. And her weapon does a lot more damage than people realize. If you can learn to play aggressive with her while keeping portals up she's a great asset to have in all game modes.

Very surprised by this MM system. For Blizzard only added two new splash screens and a flawed OT mechanic.

Was expecting Blizzard to standardize the competitive rule sets. Instead they are forcing third parties entities to do so while not giving them the required server administrative rights/tools.

Other things im reading are troubling if true. Support players receive far less MMR gain than those who play DPS on wins. An the map type awards vastly different MMR gain or loss.

If a player leaves X amount of games within a season they are banned from participating in the remainder of the season.

You still haven't played the game since launch, right, Poser?

Can someone give me an idea of what competitive play is all about in a game like this? I've never played a game that had such a thing--I've mainly played Battlefield and FIFA the last several years.

And seriously, fuck the all Torbjorn compositions on maps like Anubis and Hanamura. On console that shit is so damn cheese. I mostly see low-mid level players use him, so that's part of it I guess; i used him a lot in my early days as well but it's just not all that fun to stack a team like that and molten core the enemy ad nauseum.

I've been having some fun with Winston lately. He can be quite effective if you target the smaller enemies and jump back out of the fray when things get too hectic.

Had an odd glitch wherein I played about 4-5 matches in a session with a character and had higher than average kills in all but one of them, yet I saw my kill average go down a half a point. I'm talking about a 14 average, and getting 16, 17, 21, and 19 kills with the low of 12 in that session.

Pet peeve, I hate it when I'm the only person getting to or on the payload or attacking the other team that is moving it. I had a second session last night where we had one game we could have easily won, but I was the only person on or near the payload and it was a hair's breadth from the end. My team was all alive too, just hanging back doing nothing while I did the job at Reinhardt (there was even a Zarya that could have been a real help), but I couldn't take on 6 people at once, though I held on for about 40 seconds. On defense I see the entire team moving away from the payload once it's captured, no one trying to take out any of their team from a flanked position or from behind, no offensive heroes or tanks moving in on them, so I have to go in with a support character and take on their entire team to at least damage and distract them in (vain) hopes that the rest of my team will arrive to help. Though I can surprise them from behind, I can only do so much damage before they get to me. I even had a match with 4 snipers on attack, which was absurd.

The hit detection and hit boxes also need real reworking. Facing a Reinhardt I am often what one would assume to be far out of reach of his hammer, but it still hits, I've even been hit through objects like the water fountain in Dorado and walls. I play as Reinhardt a lot, but I don't want a cheap advantage like that. I've also noticed super stun recovery after I used my charge once last night, lag shouldn't be the cause of that as the algorithm favors the attacker.

win 1 gain nothing lose 1 lose half a level. argh, I'm having nightmares of my old HoTS days where I would win 7 in a row and gain like 1.5 ranks then lose 4 and go down 2 ranks.

207438383779 said:
The amount that you go up or down is not a set amount. Factors such as your skill rating, your opponent's skill rating and your individual performance are all part of the equation.

The current Competitive System is not a progression-based system where you are gaining a set amount of "exp" for a win. We are constantly calibrating your skill as it relates to the other players that you win or lose against. This means sometimes it will go up or down very little and other times it will go up or down a lot.

From Jeff Kaplan for anyone interested.

Last edited:
win 1 gain nothing lose 1 lose half a level. argh, I'm having nightmares of my old HoTS days where I would win 7 in a row and gain like 1.5 ranks then lose 4 and go down 2 ranks.

There seems to be a glitch or something with one of the game modes where you dont gain any rant exp

3 and 1 in my placement matches so far. Lost the last round in over time on Hollywood. ;_;

3 and 1 in my placement matches so far. Lost the last round in over time on Hollywood. ;_;

If it makes you feel any better as long as you play well individually that'll have more bearing on your initial placement then winning or losing, though that is part of it. I've heard of people winning all 10 games and only being placed at like 59-60.

Played and won my first match of competitive, it felt WAY better than quickplay IMO. People actually knew what they were doing and it was a really tense game.

Played and won my first match of competitive, it felt WAY better than quickplay IMO. People actually knew what they were doing and it was a really tense game.
We queued up with 4 of various levels and it seemed to make the matchmaking go bonkers. Still fun though

We queued up with 4 of various levels and it seemed to make the matchmaking go bonkers. Still fun though
Just seemed like people are actually trying lol

I'm 4-0 but quit two games without being charged a loss due to teammates quitting. People have no fucking spine soon as we lose a round or they die a few times in a row they leave like bitches.

Just finished my 10th competitive game.

Stats (competitive)

games played 10

wins - 7, losses - 3

eliminations 221

deaths 91

Rank 56

Is that super scrubby? Sorry i didn't read up on all the details of competitive i felt i did pretty well in all 10 games.

I ended up going 7-3 or 6-4 in placement matches and was ranked at 51. Lots of real intense matches. So far haven't really been placed with shit teams. Games we lost I think we pretty much just got shit on- wasn't an issue of some jabronis picking useless characters or something like that.

Idk how I feel about the ranks fluctuating so much. If it does that then wouldn't it be difficult to determine what grouping you really should be in? Think having actual "divisions" like in CSGO would have been better but I guess I can't really complain until I play more of it

Just finished my 10th competitive game.

Stats (competitive)

games played 10

wins - 7, losses - 3

eliminations 221

deaths 91

Rank 56

Is that super scrubby? Sorry i didn't read up on all the details of competitive i felt i did pretty well in all 10 games.
Lol, why would you think 7-3 is scruby?

I'm rocking a nice 2-4 record on xbone

It feels like ults charge way faster in ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back