Parrdon the ignorance, but why did Poatan get the blackbelt after the JH fight?

Coaches like using big moments like a championship fight to award belts. I mean Randy Couture got his blackbelt from submitting James Toney. You just have to remember they normally get them after practice and they may not have submitted anyone that day.

like Islam said , they need to take away some of the belts

Coaches like using big moments like a championship fight to award belts. I mean Randy Couture got his blackbelt from submitting James Toney. You just have to remember they normally get them after practice and they may not have submitted anyone that day.

No he didn't
And his black belt was not in BJJ.

They always award a belt because they feel you are rolling at that level already, they never award a belt in hopes that you can continue to get better and live up to it , I can see why they did it then , it was a huge moment

I've always taken this as an inside joke for guys in the camp.

Randy got his blackbelt for tapping out James Tony. I'm sure he earned it before that, but it's hilarious to belt him out grappling a boxer.

Edit: or maybe I'm mistaken...

No he didn't

I've always taken this as an inside joke for guys in the camp.

Randy got his blackbelt for tapping out James Tony. I'm sure he earned it before that, but it's hilarious to belt him out grappling a boxer.

Edit: or maybe I'm mistaken...

No he did not, he got it from Neil Melanson who has a hybrid grappling style. So it was not a BJJ belt.
They gave it after the fight for fun, Randy had already earned it.
It was a way to promote XC and the new style and get some publicity.

He would have gotten the belt no matter what, they just decided to do it in the octagon.

It was a black belt in "Lefthookjitsu"
Well earned IMO.
I didnt see any BJJ in this fight....at all

Can someone edumicate me on the nuances here

Mahalo

edit:

Come to think of it, I didnt even know he did BJJ other than being brazillian

Ive never seen the guy use BJJ once

LOL

No he did not, he got it from Neil Melanson who has a hybrid grappling style. So it was not a BJJ belt.
They gave it after the fight for fun, Randy had already earned it.
It was a way to promote XC and the new style and get some publicity.

He would have gotten the belt no matter what, they just decided to do it in the octagon.

Ok, so I was right it's a joke, but I was wrong in that it's not a BJJ belt.

No he didn't
He got a blackbelt from his grappling coach. Listen people get BJJ black belts from McDonalds dojos. I'm not saying Couture was a legit BJJ menace or something, but under his training he managed to not get submitted by guys who were legit. Also I only mentioned him getting a "black belt" for his grappling in a fight, and he did.

Source:
https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/aug/29/even-easy-fight-randy-couture-finds-way-impress/

Of course he is a BJJ black belt.

To the point that Jiri and Jamahal decided to keep it standing and trade punches and kicks with Alex because they were scared shitless of his grappling.

I wish they would reserve it only for when there was a true test against a superior grappler. Like if someone neutralized or submitted Damien Maia then the coaches would have the belt ready in case of a good showing. But if there was no grappling or it was a so-so performance on the ground they really might as well wait and give the belt in the gym. I get the sentiment but it's goofy to give a grappling belt after a pure striking fight.

He got a blackbelt from his grappling coach. Listen people get BJJ black belts from McDonalds dojos. I'm not saying Couture was a legit BJJ menace or something, but under his training he managed to not get submitted by guys who were legit. Also I only mentioned him getting a "black belt" for his grappling in a fight, and he did.

Source:
https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/aug/29/even-easy-fight-randy-couture-finds-way-impress/

Yes and it was not in BJJ.
XC had their own grappling system in which he got the BB.
And Neil has also stated it was not for winning that fight but as a fun thing and to promote the system.

Also:
In UFC 118, Randy was awarded the ‘No Gi’ black belt by his grappling instructor, Neil Melanson, after winning against James Toney.
Even though he does not train in Jiu-Jitsu, Neil Melanson explained that he is a student of Karo Parisyan and that he has created his belt system."

Black belt in Neil Melanson's Submission wrestling System

And:
NM: I was going to give Randy his black belt two months prior to the event, but I wanted to do something nice for him and present it to him in front of the world. He deserves it and needs to be recognized for his accomplishment.

I honestly wish they would just stop doing that. Let these guys celebrate one thing at a time. Let him celebrate his win and then next week give him his black belt in class after training.

i dont think glover gives out blackbelts just because. My coach, who is ultimately under Bruno Bastos, REQUIRE that a non competition, or hobbyist, or someone older at least compete once in even just a local competition to get their BB. For the rest of us, he demands we take part in IBJJF's, are able to SMASH non grapplers(we had a bunch of NCAA2 d-line men come in one day... needless to say about 3 of us took turns just tapping them over and over)... all this to say, if this is what my coach demands, then im ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that a Glover BB is a legit BB. I feel like in the early 2000's a lot of thiose guys were gifted bb's because it completed the image.

now that said, i think someone can be a BB in the gi, or even no ngi, but still not feel very natural in MMA. And as a HUGE fan of Alex, i doubt his BB level skills are gonna translate to an MMA fight, and especially at the level he's at. If im ever in Danberry, Connecticut though, best believe im bringing a few gi's and going to roll a few 7 mionute rounds with Poatan.

i dont think glover gives out blackbelts just because. My coach, who is ultimately under Bruno Bastos, REQUIRE that a non competition, or hobbyist, or someone older at least compete once in even just a local competition to get their BB. For the rest of us, he demands we take part in IBJJF's, are able to SMASH non grapplers(we had a bunch of NCAA2 d-line men come in one day... needless to say about 3 of us took turns just tapping them over and over)... all this to say, if this is what my coach demands, then im ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that a Glover BB is a legit BB. I feel like in the early 2000's a lot of thiose guys were gifted bb's because it completed the image.

now that said, i think someone can be a BB in the gi, or even no ngi, but still not feel very natural in MMA. And as a HUGE fan of Alex, i doubt his BB level skills are gonna translate to an MMA fight, and especially at the level he's at. If im ever in Danberry, Connecticut though, best believe im bringing a few gi's and going to roll a few 7 mionute rounds with Poatan.

I think he gave a black belt to one of my FB friends a few months back.

theres this thing we call "levels"

guys like jones who is a purple belt would destroy him
anderson who is a legit blackbelt would do the same to him

well i believe they tried to promote him live
to let the new fans know he aint a noobie on the ground lol

Yes and it was not in BJJ.
XC had their own grappling system in which he got the BB.
And Neil has also stated it was not for winning that fight but as a fun thing and to promote the system.

Also:
In UFC 118, Randy was awarded the ‘No Gi’ black belt by his grappling instructor, Neil Melanson, after winning against James Toney.
Even though he does not train in Jiu-Jitsu, Neil Melanson explained that he is a student of Karo Parisyan and that he has created his belt system."

Black belt in Neil Melanson's Submission wrestling System

And:
NM: I was going to give Randy his black belt two months prior to the event, but I wanted to do something nice for him and present it to him in front of the world. He deserves it and needs to be recognized for his accomplishment.

More detail than I knew, thanks

Reactions: lsa
It was probably decided before the fight that if he won, he'd get it.

Back