Pettis vs Diaz - Easy night for Nate? Is Pettis going in too deep too fast?

Nate hasn't fought in over 2 years. That Could be the deciding factor. Pettis did have a bad streak going but hes no bum either

Cmon dude, you are forgetting how they fight.

Pros for Nate = He can pressure Pettis so that Pettis can't get off any of his kicks as he will be moving backwards
Pros for Pettis = Diaz front leg is there for the taking ALL DAY, plus he has like 3 years off, which is huge.

X Factor - Showtime kicks? Mental war fare?

I don't disagree with this, the OP is showcasing how fans often talk and write them off, specially when it comes to Pettis like they did in the Wonderboy fight.

Have a read of the original post, them going too deep too fast isn't my comment.

Here's where I am with this. Layoffs are no problem for Nate and I don't anticipate ring rust will be any factor in this fight.
Pettis is the more dynamic kicker and Nate has the potential to get picked apart by kicks, but Pettis will not be able to deal with Nate's pressure and relentless 1-2 assault. I see Pettis gassing by the middle of the 2nd round and Nate getting the TKO using his volume. Pettis will try to kick his way to a victory, but I don't see it happening.

Nate is gonna pick Pettis apart if he comes in the same shape he was in before

Nate bout to pull a Michael Johnson on Showtime's ass to get the money fight he's been waiting for

Pettis just fought and beat Thompson. How on earth is this too deep??? Lol.

Nate hasn't fought in years. I fancy prime Nate over prime Pettis just from a style point of view but this will be a scrap. Pettis needs to stick to kicks Nate needs to be on his A game and be the bully and out work Pettis.
You pretty much made all my points. IF Nate is anything like his prime condition, I'll pick him, but this surely isn't a step down after Pettis' upset of Wonderboy. Also, even if it's prime Nate, Pettis has a chance by following Josh Thomson's gameplan...basically let Nate chase you around and hope and pray that he leaves himself open.

But after a long layoff, it's hard to know what Nate will look like. Nick (if he ever fights again) is even a much bigger question mark.

Nate possesses that relentlessness that Max, Tony and LW Doostin has, that Wonderboy doesn't really with his more point fighting type of style, so that's why it seems like a tougher fight for Pettis. But they're both so uneven and unpredictable - it's hard to call. Right now I'm leaning towards Nate cause of the ground game, volume and endurance.

While Nate has better credentials, never underestimate Pettis on the ground. He's submitted three BJJ black belts I believe (Bendo, Melendez and Oliveira). His biggest weakness are bigger stronger wrestlers who can hold him down...but that's Nate's weakness, too. Clay Guida beat both of them via LnP. RDA also beat both in similar looking beatdowns.

I'd expect the ground battle to be a stalemate overall, with maybe a few nice scrambles.

Haha, awesome, it's been getting fantastic reviews constantly, if you search the hashtag #RockosModernLife on Twitter it's constant and people all really loving it.

You'll love it, I'm sure though do come back and let me know what you think after you've seen it :)

rockos-modern-life-static-cling-main.png

Please kindly re-read (don't worry, I've done this myself) but I don't favour Nate, I'm very torn on this depending on the various perspectives I look at it from keeps me going back and forth which is usually quite rare for me haha

What I mentioned in the OP was I've seen a lot of the favouritism for Nate pointing out that Pettis seems to be written off easily at times (like he was with Wonderboy).

I honestly think this fight could go either way, I keep going back and forth all the time over it however I think it's just going to be a great fight either all, just not one I would like to bet on (if I happened to bet of course) lol

My mistake, your title suggested you heavily favored Nate. I don't really see/hear people writing Pettis off especially against a guy like Nate who has trouble with good kickers and doesn't really wrestle which has been Pettis' biggest weakness. I get why Pettis was the underdog against Wonderboy as they are similar strikers and Wonderboy is bigger but I think this style match up clearly favors Pettis since it's not 5 rounds and Nate's biggest weaknesses is one of Pettis' biggest strengths while Nate doesn't have the wrestling/clinch game to threaten Pettis where he's shown the biggest weaknesses.

To me Pettis is strongest where Nate is weakest and Nate is average at best where Pettis is weak(clinch/wrestling).

My mistake, your title suggested you heavily favored Nate. I don't really see/hear people writing Pettis off especially against a guy like Nate who has trouble with good kickers and doesn't really wrestle which has been Pettis' biggest weakness. I get why Pettis was the underdog against Wonderboy as they are similar strikers and Wonderboy is bigger but I think this style match up clearly favors Pettis since it's not 5 rounds and Nate's biggest weaknesses is one of Pettis' biggest strengths while Nate doesn't have the wrestling/clinch game to threaten Pettis where he's shown the biggest weaknesses.

To me Pettis is strongest where Nate is weakest and Nate is average at best where Pettis is weak(clinch/wrestling).

Nah it's fine, it's easily done so don't worry :)

It's just something I've seen quite often, when I made the post I saw a load of it on Twitter and I think Instagram too at the time and I was like "Again, people are writing him off", it's ridiculous really.

Nah it's fine, it's easily done so don't worry :)

It's just something I've seen quite often, when I made the post I saw a load of it on Twitter and I think Instagram too at the time and I was like "Again, people are writing him off", it's ridiculous really.

lol, well there's your problem, the vast majority of people on Twitter and Instagram don't know shit about MMA.

kicks are diaz kryptonite, and pettis has great kicks

easy night for nate . pettis fluke ko on glass chin wonderboy ok, but the way he gave up vs. tony was sad.

Tony obviously has a way of just making guys wilt though. He comes with that crazy volume but beyond that he just damages the shit out of guys. People try to pick Tony's game apart and claim he doesn't have power. And in the sense he doesn't have that nuclear, one-shot KO power of guys like Woodley or Lawler, that's true. But he's different from someone like Nate in that Tony's volume leaves guys looking like they went through a wood chipper. It's not the same as eating Nate's pitter patter 1-2's. Look at the trail of bodies Tony has left behind him over the past 6 years or so.

Honestly, more concerning to me with Pettis was the Poirier fight. I guess it was a fluke rib injury, but losing to nothing but a body triangle...not a good look. That said, I really don't think Pettis is a quitter in general. If Nate is able to get his game going and put pace and volume on Pettis, this will go a long way in determining how much Anthony's heart is still in the game. He was getting the worst of it for most of rd 1 vs Wonderboy and found the KO, so I think he still has a lot left to give.

I don't recall specifically, but I thought RDA beat him through more clinch/dirty box tactics, then straight picking Nate apart on the feet. THAT is the way to beat the Diaz bros BTW.

As for this fight, I think the more apt analogy would be the way Condit beat Nate's brother Nick. If Pettis can pop leg kicks and other probing little shots, I think he wins it.

RDA ruined Nate's legs from kicks. Nate was just getting frustrated trying to slap bottom in the end.

Pettis doesn't deal well with pressure, and Diaz is pretty much the most relentless pressure you can get in the division from a striker. I suspect he will find it difficult to deal with Nate's lanky frame, reach, and spamming offensive output. That is, assuming Nate is still the fighter he used to be. Pettis is good when he can lead the tango, but is terrible on his back foot.

It's gonna be a good fight either way I reckon.

Just to add, a couple of people said to me in this thread that they felt people were saying Pettis more so (fair comment as here it showcases this is true) however this thread here though is another in regards to it why I say I keep hearing it about Nate and people writing Pettis off again: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/how-does-pettis-beat-diaz.3998511.

It happens all the time with Pettis, specially since he moved to WW, they said the same with Wonderboy which I got hammered for cause I said I think Pettis could win that fight.

Back