Popular games of the past that you just couldn’t play

Destiny. I kept playing the same areas over and over. I think there was something fundamental about it I just didn't understand.

My friend lent me his PS3 to play The last of us. I kept trying to get into it but I found it boring. The story seemed good but the game play just couldn't pull me in. I forced myself to play for a bit until it became a chore. I dont dislike it's just not for me. Too bad.

That's just the most recent I can think of.
I had the same problem with that game. I powered through hours of it hoping it would finally click. It didn't, I hated it. Honestly, at the risk of getting flamed to death I think Naughty Dog games are far and away the most overrated.

Red dead redemption, boring.
All the gta games.

Destiny. I kept playing the same areas over and over. I think there was something fundamental about it I just didn't understand.

Well, it's essentially a big ass dungeon crawler. It's a bit like Borderlands in that the emphasis is on loot more than anything. If you're playing it as a traditional story based FPS, and were expecting some tight narrative to drive you forward, it probably just isn't for you. The point of the game is merely to improve your character's stats and gear, and fight progressively tougher mobs. It's repetitive by nature, and if you find no satisfaction in constantly tweaking your character, and looking for more loot to do so, it's probably just not your cup of tea.

Fallout 4 looked so good. Tried to play it and there was just too much to do and going on for me. I can see the appeal, but I am too ADD for all that drama.

The Last of Us. Competent gameplay but the extremely unlikeable characters with a ridiculous story that actually tries to be serious made me put it away.

There's two franchises I just couldn't get into despite getting pumped up by the trailers and hype: Gears of War and Halo. I finished the first PC version of each but even when I bought the others I simply hated them. At least 5 attempts alone at Halo 3...I'd give up and go back to playing whatever Battlefield game was on PC at that time.

Other shameful games I own but have skipped include:
In order of shame: Metal Gear Solid 4, Knights of the Old Republic 1-2, MGS3, MGS5, Shadow of the Colossus , Fallout: New Vega, Horizon Zero Dawn, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.
Also wish I had played more of Mario Galaxy 1-2 and the last Zelda game but I don't feel bad about that cause there's no way I'd buy a Nintendo console for a couple decent games.

Last edited:
Red dead redemption, boring.
All the gta games.

I love me some GTA but I couldn't get into Red Dead at all. Riding a horse around barren wasteland 90% of the time. No probs with GTA because I always love throwing a car around (Even in GTA4. Especially in GTA4 tbf)

I hate horses in general. Even in shit like Skyrim I'd rather just walk. Horse in MGS5 was kinda badass tbf

Knights of the Old Republic 1-2

tenor.gif

I played the whole game recently. I fucking love space stuff but it was corny and boring.
Felt the same, even though I loved 2 and 3.

If I had started on 1 instead of 2, doubt I would have even tried the others

I tried! I just couldn't handle the fact that it wasn't realtime combat. I was expecting Jedi Knight meets Mass Effect. I went back to KOTOR2 a few times but it put me off immediately. Ditto for all the Dragon Age titles. I did finish all Mass Effect games including Andromeda so that makes up for it :p

I tried! I just couldn't handle the fact that it wasn't realtime combat. I was expecting Jedi Knight meets Mass Effect. I went back to KOTOR2 a few times but it put me off immediately. Ditto for all the Dragon Age titles. I did finish all Mass Effect games including Andromeda so that makes up for it :p

Oh god. I couldn't get through two hours of Andromeda, and ME is probably my favorite game series ever. Finishing that would seem like a hero's journey into terrible game design.

I played about 3 minutes of kotor after playing Jedi Knight series and said “wtf is this “ and turned it off and never tried again, but I never ever play turn based games, I can’t stand them just not my cup of tea.

To me it’s just Zork with better graphics, I left that shit decades ago

Felt the same, even though I loved 2 and 3.

If I had started on 1 instead of 2, doubt I would have even tried the others
So maybe I need to check out 2 and 3? The first one felt like it was made for 8 year olds to me.

So maybe I need to check out 2 and 3? The first one felt like it was made for 8 year olds to me.
Possibly. Seems obvious, but we all have our different tastes in games. Though I will say the jump in quality is damn near 100% imo. From the graphics, to the fluidity of gameplay and writing. All were such a huge leap forward. I will say they did dumb down the leveling system and rpg aspects. I think it made for a much more polished and fun experience though. Probing planets was about the only thing I didnt care for.

They are cheap ass hell now, so you dont have much to lose besides 5 bucks and a few hours.

What gives you that idea? You spend half the game trying to get into the pants of every female you come across??

Possibly. Seems obvious, but we all have our different tastes in games. Though I will say the jump in quality is damn near 100% imo. From the graphics, to the fluidity of gameplay and writing. All were such a huge leap forward. I will say they did dumb down the leveling system and rpg aspects. I think it made for a much more polished and fun experience though. Probing planets was about the only thing I didnt care for.

They are cheap ass hell now, so you dont have much to lose besides 5 bucks and a few hours.

I have not played them in forever, but it seems I do remember not liking the way they dumber down the leveling and weapons mods and choices from 1-2, I liked how (I believe it was in one) the geth rifle says that humans cannot use it as the recoil is too much for living beings to use.

If you strengthen your character enough and focusing on the right things you can use the geth sniper rifle, it was my favorite weapon

Back