Positioning and what it means to you - Pt. 1:

And another thing as simple as it may sound but how do you block body shots while keeping good posture? I don't see how it's possible without dropping your arms

Mike already covered it, but I've also posted these drills that demonstrate it (featuring Mike):

Note the subtle movements they make to catch the body shot with their elbows. Now, for purposes of the drill they're supposed to be aiming FOR the elbows at first, but it still gets them accustomed to having the elbow BE in-position to catch the body shot.

man, truly amazing thread.

could you expand a little about having broad muscolar shoulders and small torso?
i have that kind of build, not exactly like Louis, and i feel it is not great to be a slick boxer.

He had a small CHEST. As in pectorals. The musculature of his shoulders was such that he often ended up in a slouching or craned-neck posture. I also had this problem just from working out my shoulders too much and chest not enough.

But that doesn't have a lot to do with whether or not you can be slick. Daijon has big shoulders and a small chest and is slick.

Hes still got it

Also Great BKB fight. Always a sucker for those changes to see how it affects how the game is played. You can see a lot better without the pesky ropes/corner getting into your view.

It would be interesting to see your take on how you plan for the adjustments that need to be made for their not being ropes/corner and the circle vs. the square.

Eh, I train my people in circles anyway. Also, A LOT of boxers have fought outside of the Gym before. So they're not unfamiliar with different settings. I don't think it's as big of an issue as BKB likes to make it sound. The experienced boxers on that card still did what they'd normally do, just minus using ring ropes for anything.

Not sure of the diameter but that could come into play as well. In a sense the circle now becomes "the ropes" or "fence" if you think about it. looks like some good opportunities for infighting as well.

also what do you think about the promotion. I find it entertaining and it gives more options for boxers who maybe would have much otherwise. It seems to be getting at least a decent buzz going around.

The promotion is fairly well-done. I can say DirecTV is pumping A LOT of $$$ into it. They've failed to break into the combat sports market before, so we'll see how this plays out. They're trying to apply the "league" format like the UFC has, but they're not forcing fighters into exclusive contracts and the fights don't appear on their Pro records. So it's just an NSA opportunity to get paid to fight in front of an audience on PPV.

Sorry to show up to class so late. I really didn't have 30 minutes to myself before a holiday. Much appreciated read, just do us one favor... identify your guys for us. I knew who Bleu was because he's black. I don't know who anyone else is when they have headgear on.

Bleu and Loco are both my guys...I figured in Taino's video everyone either knew who he was, or would see me in the corner. Bleu, Loco, and Taino all have threads around here about them.

is good positionin the consquence of manipulation of the centerline of the opponent so that he is in a disadvantad position or rather how do you define manipulation of the centerline?

Well, you don't really "manipulate" the center line as much as you threaten it. Which will be covered in the next installment of this.

Awesome stuff, Sin. I'm a grappler and this is still incredibly interesting to me (as all your threads are).

Bleu and Loco are both my guys...I figured in Taino's video everyone either knew who he was, or would see me in the corner. Bleu, Loco, and Taino all have threads around here about them.

Sorry man, haven't read them, and I know I'm not alone on that. Additionally a lot of times you've got two of your own guys in the ring. I don't have their equipment memorized so "Bleu in white shorts" helps out a lot.

Fantastic thread! Positioning is so often neglected. What I've noticed is that guys who are great at it use a lot less energy to get a lot more done. Guys who have bad positioning are forced to work harder.

Apizur does have a point though. I can't tell you how many times I've mixed up your guys, especially Daijon and Flash.

I'll identify, but I still think it's laziness on you all's parts to a degree. I go through a lot to get these videos up, the least you could do is pay attention to details. Daijon and Flash are both black Southpaws, short of that they're not alike (okay, maybe muscular). And not reading my threads at all isn't a good way to be able to identify them, either. I don't mind posting stuff, but I have a distaste for feeling like I have to spoon-feeding everything.

That aside, yes. The whole notion of being better at securing good positioning, and keeping the opponent poorly positioned is to maximize efficiency. If you're doing very little, but getting a lot done...while the opponent is doing a lot, and getting very little done, you're winning the fight.

I'll identify, but I still think it's laziness on you all's parts to a degree. I go through a lot to get these videos up, the least you could do is pay attention to details. Daijon and Flash are both black Southpaws, short of that they're not alike (okay, maybe muscular). And not reading my threads at all isn't a good way to be able to identify them, either. I don't mind posting stuff, but I have a distaste for feeling like I have to spoon-feeding everything.

That aside, yes. The whole notion of being better at securing good positioning, and keeping the opponent poorly positioned is to maximize efficiency. If you're doing very little, but getting a lot done...while the opponent is doing a lot, and getting very little done, you're winning the fight.

Lol muscular, black, fast southpaws are damn hard to tell apart with headgear and everything! I have read all the threads with those guys though, some a couple times. I was more just making a joke than anything.

I think that second paragraph when applied specifically to footwork is one of those things that MMA guys are going to start picking up on soon. It's at the stage now where you have some guys trying to literally run in circles around the other guy, people doing all sorts of silly stuff to try to get angles. There's so much wasted movement, eventually they'll all figure out they'd get more done moving less provided they learned to move better.

i can only tell three of the frequent guests, that's bleu, daijon and flash. lol. and also cyclone mike and some of the former icelandic dudes. the rest i forget because of different tshirts etc. probably a lot who would do that too, but those three are very distinct, strong mixing up black people rofl.

Lol muscular, black, fast southpaws are damn hard to tell apart with headgear and everything! I have read all the threads with those guys though, some a couple times. I was more just making a joke than anything.

i can only tell three of the frequent guests, that's bleu, daijon and flash. lol. and also cyclone mike and some of the former icelandic dudes. the rest i forget because of different tshirts etc. probably a lot who would do that too, but those three are very distinct, strong mixing up black people rofl.

Well, here's some spoonfuls for y'all then.

Taino.

Loco.

That should help with identification on a long-term basis. Also, the thread about Loco was all but completely ignored, so feel free to ask anything about his style particularly.

I think that second paragraph when applied specifically to footwork is one of those things that MMA guys are going to start picking up on soon. It's at the stage now where you have some guys trying to literally run in circles around the other guy, people doing all sorts of silly stuff to try to get angles. There's so much wasted movement, eventually they'll all figure out they'd get more done moving less provided they learned to move better.

Well yeah, they'll have no other choice as striking quality goes up. They'll either get some quality training that applies the principals themselves, or will suffer bad losses on account of it.

"they all look the same to me":icon_lol:

Honestly though they are pretty easy to tell apart in my book. Blue is lighter skined.

so if i understand it you kind of "fight" for positioning ?

Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbJ8kgLW7Q

Hopkins makin Tito adjust and is always a step beind im because Hopkins moves into a position wich is disadvantous to tito, bop cotrols therfor the distance and the pace of the fit

and the same principle would be a joe louis who does this with moving forwards wheras bop does it moving backwards?

while joe rater creats anxiety or rather treats the opponent
Hopkins frustrates is opponent

and both capitalize on the oppents reaction wich are a step behind?

does it mean tat tito

Last edited:
James Toney vs Mike McCallum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOCPCj7HF8

looks like McCallum uses footwork and his upper body to be in a position (sometimes its sublte) to throw punchs wich tony cant see / tony is a step beind and the punch catces him when wants to adjust position

There's a whole thread on Mike's use of positioning.

Thought y'all might want to see one of the inside drills when two guys are pretty good ad it and going full speed. This was from yesterday:

Man you posted that vid of the second time I did the drill. The later ones I did with daijon were pretty good... Never seen that footage though. Whatever. I KNOW I CAN DO THE DRILL, THATS ENOUGH

Back