Prime Fedor simply had a level of athleticism that is still unmatched in HW MMA

He's very athletic, but most athletic? No....

I don't really get how him being faster and more coordinated than heavyweights, when one of the passes he gets is that he is much smaller. That...is a large reason why he is so much faster, and why it is a little silly to compare him to someone who is like 70 pounds heavier like Ngannou and Lesnar.

If we are essentially saying athletic as in whos physical attributes contribute most to their success, I dont see how Fedor is on top. Part of why Fedor is so great is because he is very skilled in addition to his speed. He is not the most physically gifted at heavyweight.

He's very athletic, but most athletic? No....

I don't really get how him being faster and more coordinated than heavyweights, when one of the passes he gets is that he is much smaller. That...is a large reason why he is so much faster, and why it is a little silly to compare him to someone who is like 70 pounds heavier like Ngannou and Lesnar.

If we are essentially saying athletic as in whos physical attributes contribute most to their success, I dont see how Fedor is on top. Part of why Fedor is so great is because he is very skilled in addition to his speed. He is not the most physically gifted at heavyweight.
You could argue I spose Ngannou and Lesnar are more physically gifted in some senses given their size but the I think you could also argue from Fedors perspective what stands out is the combination of both grappling and striking ability.

Lesnar was a very strong natural wrestler but his striking always looked very clumsy.

. The explosiveness, speed, the power, the balance and coordination. It's simply on a different level. 2004 Fedor would end any HW that has ever existed Ngannou-Joshua just made this crystal clear in my mind. Ngannou is nowhere as quick and agile as Fedor. The most well rounded HW fighter the sport has ever seen, even 20 years later.

View attachment 1033617
Let UFC fighters freely juice and i bet we will see people match or exceed his “athleticism”

You could argue I spose Ngannou and Lesnar are more physically gifted in some senses given their size but the I think you could also argue from Fedors perspective what stands out is the combination of both grappling and striking ability.

Lesnar was a very strong natural wrestler but his striking always looked very clumsy.

Lesnar is not a natural striker for sure, but that doesn't mean he is not a natural athlete. I'm sure Fedor would look goofy if he tried catching a ball or something of that nature.

Striking just isn't something Lesnar is good at, nor was he really trained in it (for most of his life).

I think Lesnar's success in the NCAA and the UFC largely came to his physical attributes. In the NCAA, I don't think he was that talented of a wrestler, but he was so big and strong that it over came his deficiencies.

It also got him a tryout in the NFL, and he did some cool high flying moves in WWE as well. I think Fedor is more skilled at martial arts, but I would not say he is a superior athlete.

Fedor is a very good athlete, but I think when you compare him to guys more around his size, (a lot of the 185 and 205ers) he is less of an anomaly.

I would say his brother is a more "natural athlete" than Fedor is, even though he's not half the fighter. Yeah, I feel confident in that in terms of physical attributes, Aleksander had a better toolbox.

Lesnar is not a natural striker for sure, but that doesn't mean he is not a natural athlete. I'm sure Fedor would look goofy if he tried catching a ball or something of that nature.

Striking just isn't something Lesnar is good at, nor was he really trained in it (for most of his life).

I think Lesnar's success in the NCAA and the UFC largely came to his physical attributes. In the NCAA, I don't think he was that talented of a wrestler, but he was so big and strong that it over came his deficiencies.

It also got him a tryout in the NFL, and he did some cool high flying moves in WWE as well. I think Fedor is more skilled at martial arts, but I would not say he is a superior athlete.

Fedor is a very good athlete, but I think when you compare him to guys more around his size, (a lot of the 185 and 205ers) he is less of an anomaly.

I would say his brother is a more "natural athlete" than Fedor is, even though he's not half the fighter. Yeah, I feel confident in that in terms of physical attributes, Aleksander had a better toolbox.
What a natural athlete is of course depends a lot on the sport involved, in MMA I think you could argue for example that hand speed and reactions count for more than they do in the NFL

Aleks you could have had similarly fast hands to his bro but he wasnt anywhere near as agile, granted Fedor was a much more trained Judoka but still I don't think Aleks could ever have reached his grappling level

Last edited:
To be honest though Sylvia really had two peaks, the earlier roided phase were he was much more aggressive and the latter phase were he was more careful and used his reach more. Prior to the Fedor fight the only match he looked bad in was vs Randy and I think heavy qualifers should be on that with the UFC forcing him to fight with a serious back injury(threatened to strip him if he got sugary instead). Its After Fedor I think Sylvia clearly goes off a cliff, comes back 40lb heavier a year latter, understandable I spose as he'd had his biggest payday but also probably knew he'd lost his last shot at the bigtime or at least was along rebuild away from another.

Tim Sylvia just wasnt very good giys. Sorry. UFC title fight off one win...against cabbage

Awaits inevitable Struve-Stipe gif

Pssttt...Struve was better than Sylvia

Also, during his "prime" Fedor fought without PED control or athletic commissions and never even faced the majority of top fighters from his generation (Barnett, Kharitonov, Cormier, Miocic, Overeem, Couture, Lesnar, Cain, Carwin, JDS, etc). He then quickly became "out of his prime" in the US at some 34 years of age. As the Maldonado fight teaches us, Fedor was never above using questionable means to get a win and a payday.

Last edited:
You're a noob.

TS is talking about prime Fedor. PRIME Fedor.

You can apply your silly argument to anybody who fights too long.

We gonna judge Silva on his performance vs Uriah Hall, now, are we?
Not athletic enough to survive against Bigfoot Silva either.

Never, NEVER has a more average fighter had so many threads about him.

Lol you don't don't understand much about fighting if your only way of measuring fight athletics is how a fighter would theoretically look playing "football"

Ask any pro fighter about things that actually matter in FIGHTING like speed, coordination, balance, reflexes and transitions. Fedor at his peak smoked someone like Brock in all these categories and the way Brock performs on a football field has zero value in any of those areas. Gotta love the classic Sherbro angle of "how would he do playing football" to measure his fighting attributes

🤣🤡

Not athletic enough to survive against Bigfoot Silva either.

Never, NEVER has a more average fighter had so many threads about him.
🤡

Overeem and Travis Browne weren't athletic enough to survive Bigfoot either. I guess this means they were "poor athletes."

🤡

Sherdog is such a wasteland of dumb, fighter hating nooks that have never been with a woman smh

🤡

. The explosiveness, speed, the power, the balance and coordination. It's simply on a different level. 2004 Fedor would end any HW that has ever existed Ngannou-Joshua just made this crystal clear in my mind. Ngannou is nowhere as quick and agile as Fedor. The most well rounded HW fighter the sport has ever seen, even 20 years later.

View attachment 1033617
Prime Fedor would have been ko'd by Joshua in a boxing match too.

Back