R. Lee Ermey has passed away at 74

Well that sucks.

Underrated roles in Se7en, and Dead Man Walking.

RIP.

The story of how he got his role in Full Metal Jacket and ultimately his big break in Hollywood is amazing. He honestly deserved a best supporting actor Oscar for that role. R.I.P.

RIP

Everybody's gonna mention the Full Metal Jacket character - and rightly so, he's downright iconic - so I'll just remind that he was also great in Se7en, as the police captain. It's a more subdued role, on the side of an amazing film - but he really nails it, and brings so much to his scenes.

This random moment for example, which director David Fincher says that R. Lee Ermey legit just improvised, when a phone started ringing, unplanned, in the middle of a take.

RIP

Everybody's gonna mention the Full Metal Jacket character - and rightly so, he's downright iconic - so I'll just remind that he was also great in Se7en, as the police captain. It's a more subdued role, on the side of an amazing film - but he really nails it, and brings so much to his scenes.

This random moment for example, which director David Fincher says that R. Lee Ermey legit just improvised, when a phone started ringing, unplanned, in the middle of a take.

Yes, he was great at improvisation. Almost all of his dialog in Full Metal Jacket was improvised.

black-kid-crying.gif

I was already scheduled to go into the USAF and I saw Full Metal Jacket before I reported to basic. What I learned from FMJ? Sometimes, your job will be sit down, shut up, and color to get it done.

R.I.P. Gunny... :(

Damn, sad news. Loved his acting, he was great in the TSM remake too.

RIP.

"Kubrick films have life, they just never die."

R. Lee Ermey

As is the case for you also Gunny. RIP

Yes, he was great at improvisation. Almost all of his dialog in Full Metal Jacket was improvised.
I've read the novella that it's based off of and almost all the lines are in it. They're fairly standard vietnam era drill instructor insults though from what i understand.

I think he made Hexed a lot better too. RIP

If you're going to make an RIP thread, at least have the good sense to spell his or her name right in the title.

RIP Gunny.

I swear, about two hours ago, I was randomly thinking about him (and his mortality). I was thinking about how he'd be described after his death. It just goes to show that he won't be forgotten. He made quite an impression. RIP

RIP

He was menacing in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, such an underrated performance, he was more scary than Leatherface!

This.

He absolutely was the best part of those movies.

Especially the sequel.

This.

He absolutely was the best part of those movies.

Especially the sequel.
Yeah, I loved him in it, how he went from being all friendly and kind to slowly cold and then brutal and heartless was amazing.

He thoroughly enjoyed being evil because he could not like Leatherface who does it because he is an ugly virgin.

That's real evil when you don't have to be but you wanna be, he was the real villain there.

Ermey had screen presence in all of his films. The Siege of Firebase Gloria was my favorite performance of his.

Back