Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

I liked Meyerowitz. Thought it was pretty good for a low key movie that didn't get much attention. Just kind of a smaller scale family story. Given the junk Pacino and De Niro and so on do a lot of the time I think their efforts would have been better spent on these kinds of projects. Pacino did a couple like Manglehorn in between the purely for the paycheck junk but nobody watches them. And Manglehorn was just decent.

I still dont know how Sandler convinced Pacino to do Jack and Jill

Oppenheimer

Pros - superbly acted all around, three interlocking stories that didn't get in the way of each other, all around great movie.

Cons - had to take two pee breaks because I'm old

Went on a amityville binge on tubi... part 1 up to dollhouse. My fav is part 2 the possession and I think it’s the best out of all... well it’s really between 1 and 2 cause the rest is trash, but I still like em cause of the nostalgia... I think part 1 and 2 is a must watch for horror fans, but the rest won’t be much missed... if you’ve never seen 3-D up to dollhouse, you’ll have to grin and bear it if you plan on watching em. I think tubi got most of the newer ones too... don’t even gotta watch those you just know it’s absolute garbage
200w.gif

I think it's called See Them Run, new on HULU. I thought it'd be like Poirot whodunit when I first heard about it. I watched like 2/3rds of it and boy does it suck.

Went on a amityville binge on tubi... part 1 up to dollhouse. My fav is part 2 the possession and I think it’s the best out of all... well it’s really between 1 and 2 cause the rest is trash, but I still like em cause of the nostalgia... I think part 1 and 2 is a must watch for horror fans, but the rest won’t be much missed... if you’ve never seen 3-D up to dollhouse, you’ll have to grin and bear it if you plan on watching em. I think tubi got most of the newer ones too... don’t even gotta watch those you just know it’s absolute garbage
200w.gif

Were you inspired by Red Letter Media’s video last week about all the horrible horror movies on Tubi where they go through like 30 movies with the word Amityville in the title?

The Virgin Suicides (1999)

Psychological drama directed by Sophia Coppola and starring an ensemble cast.

The narrative is driven through the lens of several men as they reflect on their childhood growing up in a quiet American suburb in the 1970's. As boys, the group was fascinated by the 5 slightly older (teenage) Lisbon sisters who were practically locked away by their protective Catholic parents (James Woods and Kathleen Turner). Over the course of a year, the Lisbon girls meet a dismal fate that the boys are still trying to process and understand later in life.

The stand out performance is Kirsten Dunst (Lux Lisbon) as the most rebellious and promiscuous of the sisters. James Woods is also very good as the boring and strict but well meaning father.

Coppola's direction is excellent and the film achieves a type of dreamy melancholia perfectly meshed into the memories of teenage school life, dances, drinking, and first loves.

In the end, the fate of the Lisbon sisters feels both ephemeral and inexplicable. The Lisbon girls remain a mystery just out of reach of understanding, exactly how the narrators see them in their own haunted memories.

Rating: 8/10.

Carnival of Souls(1962)
Candace Hilligoss
Directed by Herk Harvey
Filmed in black and white, 80 minutes
7/10

A young lady(Mary, played by Hilligoss) is in a car with her friends racing some neighborhood boys. They lose control of their car and plunge over the side of a bridge, seemingly killing everyone in the car. Some time later Mary emerges from the water and is helped by some rescuers. Deciding to leave town to escape the memory of it all, she accepts a job as a church organist in Utah. On the way there she suddenly has visions of an odd creepy man who appears in random places. She finds a room in town and continues to see the man every so often. She asks about an abandoned carnival grounds on the outskirts of town because she is somehow drawn to it. She visits and wanders aimlessly for hours before leaving. Every so often, while in public, she realizes that no can hear her when she speaks and they don't seem to realize she's there. Eventually, it comes to a point where no one can hear or see her anymore. Inexplicably, she is obsessed with the abandoned carnival and returns, only to see zombie like creatures who begin to laugh at her and chase her.

The movie ends in a satisfying, but not entirely surprising way.

This film is somewhat eerie, with a pervading sense of loneliness and hopelessness. If that was the mood the director and cinematographer were trying to evoke they certainly nailed it.

Somewhat of a cult classic.

Recommended.

Last edited:
Were you inspired by Red Letter Media’s video last week about all the horrible horror movies on Tubi where they go through like 30 movies with the word Amityville in the title?

Nah, dont know nada about them. I saw tubi had all the amityvilles that I saw when I was a kid n finally watched it during weekend... tubi been heaven for horror fans for years now. Part 1 n 2 I’ve rewatched throughout the years, but 3-D up to Dollhouse I haven’t seen in over a decade... after part 2 it’s truly all hot garbage, but I like em all...

Ycexo1.jpg

Martial Outlaw (1993)

In Los Angeles, two brothers who are cops working for separate agencies are oddly assigned to investigate drug trafficking Russians. Jeff Wincott/Kevin White is a DEA Agent and Gary Hudson/Jack White is a police officer. The plot seems shuffled at times, but that's forgiveable for the number of fight scenes. Plus you get to see what the "Russian Circle" is. Jeff Wincott/Kevin White likes to incorporate weapons in his fighting techniques. I recommend

Last edited:
God is a bullet: It was comically bad. The only good thing is seeing Maika Monroe in tiny shorts. Other than that it's just cliché after cliché, convoluted and super silly plot, ridiculuous over the top edgy baddies, weak main characters, idk, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. (4/10)

Wrath of Becky: As silly as the first one, but unfunny. It is in fact super boring (3/10)

The flood: This one is just too much...(1/10)
I read the book a long time ago, it was pretty good

200w.gif
I need to carry on my Amityville session soon, agreed second one is very good, much creepier in a number of ways.
I like the first one, James Brolin is pretty intense, but the 2nd one trumps it.
Which one had Meg Ryan? that's the last one I waytched

Ycexo1.jpg

Martial Outlaw (1993)

Two brothers who are cops working for separate agencies are oddly assigned to investigate drug trafficking Russians. The plot seems shuffled at times, but that's forgiveable for the number of fight scenes. Jeff Wincott likes to incorporate weapons in his fighting techniques, however there's still a fair share of unarmed striking.
damn I like your style

The Crazies(2010)- A little let down by this one. Enjoyed the early scenes of townspeople becoming crazy and I thought that most of the focus was going to be the town descending into madness. But it pretty quickly became focused on the military quarantining the area, which was much less interesting to me. Overall well done enough to keep me watching but not one I'd rewatch anytime soon.
6/10

Talk to Me- This year has been pretty lukewarm for horror so was very excited going into this. And it exceeded my expectations. The most interesting/unique take on haunting/possession I've seen in a long time. And it manages to live up to its great initial concept and never really lost steam for me. Last third of the movie is probably its strongest part and the ending couldn't have been more perfect. Had some issues with certain characters that grew as the film went but in retrospect might actually add to the movie. Wouldn't say it lives up to the hype of "Scariest Movie Ever!", not that I really cared, still easily best horror movie of the year so far, maybe even better than anything last year too.
8.5/10

Update: July 21, 2023

Dragonlord’s Review of BARBIE (Minor Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Smart, funny and silly, Barbie sparkles thanks to a clever script, great cast and stellar performances by Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.

1aqYgLf.jpg

In the same vein as other high-concept toy or video game movies like The LEGO Movie, Wreck-It Ralph and the more recent Free Guy, Barbie centers around the main protagonist who experiences an existential crisis and undergoes on a journey of self-discovery. Though it doesn’t reach the same greatness as the first two films mentioned, Barbie is still a smartly-written, funny satirical comedy thanks to director/co-writer Greta Gerwig that tackles themes of identity, purpose and gender inequality in a fun, wink-wink jab without it being too harpy or mean-spirited.

Stereotypical Barbie (played by Margot Robbie) lives in a fantasy utopian place called Barbie Land with all the other Barbie toys. Since it’s a toy catered to little girls, Barbie Land is ruled and run by the different types of Barbies while the Kens are just accessory cheerleaders who hang around the beach. When Barbie starts thinking of death, her perfect life comes undone as she starts getting flat-footed ang gaining cellulites. She is advised by Weird Barbie (played by Kate McKinnon) to go out in the real world to find Barbie’s toy user who is having these mortality thoughts and try to fix it.

Margot Robbie is stellar as Barbie. Aside from being downright gorgeous and a perfect match to play the stereotypical Barbie, the actress’ constant shift between comedic and heartfelt dramatic performances was impeccable. Whether it was Barbie’s naïve but sweet innocent outlook or her reaction to the harshness of the real world or to her growth as a character by the film’s end, Robbie was amazing as the lead.

As great as Robbie was, Ryan Gosling arguably steals the show as Ken. Representing his best film comedic performance ever, Gosling is just hilarious in here as he goes all in his love-struck himbo character. His musical number “I’m Just Ken” (which deserves an Oscar nomination) is so infectious and the accompanying scene is hilarious and batty. As much as this is Barbie’s story, it’s also equally Ken’s hysterical journey about himself and his discovery of the patriarchy system in the real world and bringing that back to Barbie Land with disruptive results – basically Ken created Sherdog Land.

A few of the standouts in the loaded cast was Kate McKinnon who was terrific as Weird Barbie. She’s depicted as a Barbie with cut-off/burnt hair, crayon markings on her face and constantly doing the leg splits because that’s how some of the kids in the real world have mishandled their dolls. Noticeably absent from live-action features, Michael Cera is back and playing Allan, Ken’s inconsequential, ambiguously gay friend. He just looks so awkward among the rest like he doesn’t belong which I just found very amusing.

Ugly Betty star America Ferrera was great as Gloria, the Mattel employee who is having a midlife crisis but reinvigorates herself when she helps out the Barbies. Her impassioned speech near the end will be a source of controversy to some but there is still some truth to it if you are open-minded enough. Will Ferrell was enjoyable enough as the CEO of Mattel but found some of his antics too jarringly cartoonish especially since he is supposedly from the real world. Helen Mirren as the narrator and Rhea Perlman as the founder were notably good. Simu Liu and Kingsley Ben-Adir were also entertaining as the other Kens.

The production design was incredible with the actual creation of the Barbie Land set houses and landscaping. The set extensively used so much pink paint that it created a worldwide shortage for a period of time. The visual gags and Easter eggs were abundant. I didn’t catch all of them but a lot were self-explanatory enough for viewers to still enjoy. There’s no post-credits stinger but I love the ending credits where they showed the actual discontinued controversial toy lines. It’s also commendable how Mattel was game enough to allow the film to humorously roast the company, their products and the negative impact the toys had in our culture.

In 2014, Mayberry’s favorite comedian Amy Schumer was attached to co-write and star in a live-action Barbie movie but the project was scrapped three years later due to creative differences. In an alternate world, Schumer’s Barbie would have been released and I doubt it would have been that good. Truth is making a Barbie movie is a very risky endeavor with so many difficult aspects to balance, but Gerwig and co-writer Noah Baumbach have managed to aptly fabricate a fun summer popcorn flick that’s equal parts heartwarming and smart with loads of meta humor goodness.

PRELIMINARY RATING: 7.5/10 or 8/10

missionofjustice-ml3.jpg

Mission of Justice (1992)

Mayor candidate and "Mission" director, Doctor Rachel Larkin (Bridgette Nielsen), is on a course to take over the city politically. The counterpart and former cop Kurt Harris (Jeff Wincott) joins the "Mission", and he uncovers double-dealing and corruption. Kurt Harris (Jeff Wincott) martial arts and weapons handling background is on full display. The story and action are very deliberate.

Last edited:
I need to carry on my Amityville session soon, agreed second one is very good, much creepier in a number of ways.
I like the first one, James Brolin is pretty intense, but the 2nd one trumps it.
Which one had Meg Ryan? that's the last one I waytched
She’s in the third one 3-D ... you watching the newer ones too ?

Back