Realistic knife defence against resistance. Combat sports based.

There also thing that should be evalued about vests.

For knife and against handgun is different stuff how they are designed.

For attacker who will use hangun chest ( rib cage area ) is lucrative target.

While for attack with knife if attacker is skilled it might look not good target: knife might hit rib, sternum and then... attack strike will be without enough effect.

Therefore for attack from front side in middle section as targets usually are choosed liver and splenum.
Also with these strikes is easily to damage lungs if angle suitable ....

I haven’t, though when you posted the thread I immediately thought of this video:

Hey! Thanks for the link. I saw this video before. I added towards the end of my video, at the part of the basic strips, the basic baseball grip strip which he shows. The first time I saw it (several youtube videos show it) I got excited- finally a basic, simple, no BS technique. I have to say that I personally found it to be less useful against resistance compared with the techniques I show against resistance at the beginning of the video. Especially strong untrained people were be able to resist it. Plus they hug me with their second arm/punch/ potential eye gouges in a real fight/ and reduce my chances drastically (The actions of the opponent's free arm are less effective with the techniques which I show at the beginning). Also they used a shock knife, and they didn't try to pierce each other with full force like I showed in my video, and like happens in terror attacks. They used it more as a shocker. Because of that it was easier for him to get the baseball grip immediately. I found it less useful against stabs from beneath at 100%. I recommend to block and get the Russian tie as I showed. From there it's possible to get the baseball grip (I also show it in the video).

Compared to the baseball grip strip, if I get a standing Kimura against these strong untrained people/ put them on their knees for a second and a half with the Russian tie throw, enough time to put their arm between my legs for an arm bar finish- They are finished. I even need to be careful not to damage them. Maybe because of my judo background I can throw stronger people (at least on their knees) with higher chances of success compared to the average person, and sumi gaeshi, arm bar and kimura them with higher chances of success- But still, I put emphasis on what I personally really recommend the most.

If somebody here gets more success with the basic strip they show- I would like to red about that. And even see a video of it if possible, when compared to the techniques I show at the beginning (And even upload it to youtube if you allow it?)

I wanted to add to my video their footage from 2:44 of the basic strip while using the knee to trap the opponent's forearm but forgot (It's good to combine it with ground and pound). Plus I wanted to add the footage of him doing the arm bar from back at 2:54 but forgot. I showed a technique of getting the arm bar from the back and even a footage of it from an MMA fight. But he shows a different version which is effective and even may be locked when you can't get the version I showed. I'll put it in the description of my video and add this technique to the part 2 in my next video where I'll add everything I forgot to put into this one, plus new things which I learned/ small tweaks and improvements.

Thanks for your comment =)

Last edited:
Some stuff I forgot to put in the main video/ learned since then (I added it to the comments and the description of the video). If you have some more useful improvements/knowledge/experience/ relevant footage please write in the comments and I'll add it. Later, I'll put everything in a part 2 video.

A MUST!!!! From a realistic Knife competition: A basic throw to ground and pound finish while trapping the knife holding arm.

1:35 A must!!! A great tip. During Arm bar, cross your legs on the opponent's free second arm (just in case, if he has another weapon).

A must!!! during the arm bar, the opponent may manage to bite you. be ready for that. handle the pain and Destroy his arm. It's might be possible for you to straighten the leg above his head and hit his head against the floor like is shown here as an example for biting defense.

A must!!! 0:36 A great scramble to see- when the opponent stands up during an arm bar. 1:10 in the same video above- A take down while holding one side of the opponent to a flying arm bar. it's dangerous on concrete (it's less dangerous if the opponent is lower, then a jump is not involved), but it's good to know that you can get an arm bar from this direction as well (and not just with a step over the arm).

A must!! 2:45 a knee on the forearm on the ground to a knife strip. 2:53 in the same video above: another version for an arm bar from the back against a knife.

While executing the Russian tie, the arm which is under the opponent's shoulder (The shoulder of the knife holding hand) can reach under the shoulder to deal with the opponent's free hand if he tries to break our Russian tie with it, As shown here at 10:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJanEpccxxQ

In addition, circling towards the knife holding arm, as I did at the realistic demonstrations in the knife defense video, helps to prevent an escape from the Russian tie.

Plus you can see at the link above at 11:35 (and throughout the video at the link above) how the Russian Tie can be used to get the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExddR0Vv8f0

23:37 a wrist lock and knife strip with the opposite armpit. I showed a regular one at 13:35 in the knife defense video.

A great tip for a stronger kimura from the back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faA0-1Lde9A&list=LL&index=38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDiHWeceew

3:25 another great example of kimura sumi gaeshi from standing to arm bar

Ishida vs. Wilcox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3iqKfzleeY&list=LL&index=62

1:34 An interesting forearm submission from Kesa Gatame/ Scarf Hold/ Headlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zDIC8tmhI

Omoplata with a wrist lock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RfijSXgIXQ

An amazing analysis. A Russian tie uchimata to a back take in freestyle wrestling.

sakfjgadsyukgf
DoctorTaco

Have you ever seen such a method being used (even on pictures/old manuals) Empty handed against a knife (and not in a knife vs knife fight)? And if you did can you please post it here? Or maybe some other interesting stuff you've seen from this direction of thought. thanks.
Well if about video cos this was approx 20 y ago and with 0 intent for internet but real life.

One from cases : basic solution was to do false telegraph and deliver strikes in other area.
Another case to kick guy with a side kick.
Then next stuff where distance was enough close to manage apply grip.
Like this.

While for knife vs knife, it still isn't main only one tool to attack ppl and not only stabbing threats are valid in such situation.

God help you to have real life fight with knifefighter.
Knife will be not more than 50% from attack tools he might use and it will not be for clicks and $ here.

Well if about video cos this was approx 20 y ago and with 0 intent for internet but real life.

One from cases : basic solution was to do false telegraph and deliver strikes in other area.
Another case to kick guy with a side kick.
Then next stuff where distance was enough close to manage apply grip.
Like this.

While for knife vs knife, it still isn't main only one tool to attack ppl and not only stabbing threats are valid in such situation.

God help you to have real life fight with knifefighter.
Knife will be not more than 50% from attack tools he might use and it will not be for clicks and $ here.

Hey! Which side kicks do you recommend? I thought about adding it to the video but I don't have any experience with side kicks and I'm not sure what's right/ the best. I've seen those oblique kicks, do you mean something like that or something else? I added push kicks to the body and a front snap kick to the balls. I have experience with both in real life situations.

Well, I'm not an instructor or sensei or trainer.
I was guy from rough hood.

Once for example I had used false telgraph and kicks with tips of shoes under floating ribs.
It is very brutal street stuff.

Then in another case it was like: get balance from the wall and kick guy with sidekick with full power.
Lower area of chest IMHO had been hit. Yoko geri type kick.
Outcome in both cases was huge long term TKO for guy.
Other stuff with kicks vs other guys was low kicks etc like stuff if you talk about kicks.

Well, I'm not an instructor or sensei or trainer.
I was guy from rough hood.

Once for example I had used false telgraph and kicks with tips of shoes under floating ribs.
It is very brutal street stuff.

Then in another case it was like: get balance from the wall and kick guy with sidekick with full power.
Lower area of chest IMHO had been hit. Yoko geri type kick.
Outcome in both cases was huge long term TKO for guy.
Other stuff with kicks vs other guys was low kicks etc like stuff if you talk about kicks.

Can you please recommend me some good instructionals about kicking with the shoe tip? I'm not familiar with the subject. Sounds like it will be especially effective with military boots.

Can you please recommend me some good instructionals about kicking with the shoe tip? I'm not familiar with the subject. Sounds like it will be especially effective with military boots.

Basically the whole idea in Savate.

Hey! Which side kicks do you recommend? I thought about adding it to the video but I don't have any experience with side kicks and I'm not sure what's right/ the best. I've seen those oblique kicks, do you mean something like that or something else? I added push kicks to the body and a front snap kick to the balls. I have experience with both in real life situations.

https://hroarr.com/wp-content/uploa...enauer-Fiore-de-i-Liberi-compilation-2016.pdf

A really cool book which contains illustrations from several sources of old time (Like the year 1300) knife defense and weapon fighting.

Has anyone ever seen this submission/ snap work in real life? I saw it used for a greco roman wrestling throw but not for a submission/ break.
View attachment 963435

Are you sure it's intended to be a break? Nice if it happens, but it seems like the object is the basically the same as it would be in amateur wrestling; controlling their knife arm, and unfooting them with it.

I heard accounts on the internet which gave a testimony that this technique worked for people with a sharp modern knife and that they didn't even get cut. Just grab it full force, and twist it out of the opponent's hand. I need to check it out against resistance.
I showed a knife grabbing technique in the video at 38:26 which included bending the opponent's wrist with your body and then adding a push while holding the knife but with a modified grip just on the flat sides of the knife. It works against people with relatively weak wrists. If the one below really works against sharp modern knifes, it will for sure "become" (Come back to life again) a staple.

upload_2023-1-18_3-43-2.png
upload_2023-1-18_3-42-42.png
upload_2023-1-18_3-51-30.png
It's from here. I don't remember if it was included in the book in the link above.
https://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/liberi/wildRose/section2.html

In core kicking technique doesn't changes....
Things that changes here is hiting surface you have intent to use.

Might be used stuff from karate, full contact KB, MT, Savate, Combat Sambo etc....

Most horrible are kicks done with stuff like shoes for step dancing...
It is more painful stuff than to get kicked with military boot....

The one source how to kick ppl with military boots is ....instructional for Combat Sambo for service applications.
One book is awailable in russian and it is relatively easy to google up.
Russian text isn't problem cos it might be translated with automatic translation tools.

https://hroarr.com/wp-content/uploa...enauer-Fiore-de-i-Liberi-compilation-2016.pdf

A really cool book which contains illustrations from several sources of old time (Like the year 1300) knife defense and weapon fighting.

Has anyone ever seen this submission/ snap work in real life? I saw it used for a greco roman wrestling throw but not for a submission/ break.
View attachment 963435

It’s one of the basic moves cops in Russia learn in their hand-to-hand courses. Not sure it’s useful nowadays :D.

Well.
In defense from attack with knife initially is very important one thing.
Does he have 1 knife or 2 ...:(
If he does have 2 your chances will be really low.

Next thing: what intent guy with knife initially had ...
There are mainly 3 variants...
1. Just to threat with knife.
2. Go for fast win ASAP...
3. To achieve some damage buy with avoiding to kill.
There how dangerous such guy might be is different depending from his...sorry...real experince, I don't mean here training in gym...:(
4. Guy wants to get you cold ASAP...
5 th and the worst :( variant is if guy is ready slowly achieve his goal with gradual damage methods....

This means that he will conduct attack methods by putting in first place lesser risk for him instead to end fight with just some 5-8 most common and effective attack methods used to win ASAP.

Cos against most common attack methods defense movements usually are relatively well automatised... if victim is trained and isn't dumb.

The main flaw in any knife defense training is this:
If attacker will will be random psycho and still will have high speed and use not conventional attack methods. Cos maybe he / she even doesn't want to kill someone or just attack will be chaotic.

Or of it will be knifefighter...
Then if he will chosse gradual damage method, it will be nightmare even for well trained ppl....

1. Chapter.
Against this kind of ppl will not work assumption that he will concentrate only on his knife.
He does have legs, knees, elbows and sorry, head + 2 hands not one hand...
+ might attempt not only just stabbing movements. There are cuts.. and might be happen even movement like hit with axe...

+ feints to induce certain defensive reaction in order to get situation when vicitm will react in certain way..... with intent to make easier to attack opponent with another method.
Btw this also is one from methods done by knifefighters if they in reality doesn't have intent to use knife and just are using knife as detterent...

Classic there is to pull back hand with knife like for stabbing attempt and with this movement to hit opponent with ahother hand....

It is actually sneaky game vs for example to someone trained.....

Last edited:
For unarmed defence? Same bullshit as everywhere.
Like this. Usually....

For example once (then he was idiot ) who had learned knife defense did big idiotism with me.
He begged and later bragged and challenged in public to attack him with knife.
Insisted that he 100% will be ready.

He insisted that I should pick knife from table and attempt to stab him.

Damn.
Okey, I had picked knife and pulled back like before movement to stab and in this moment punched him with left hand...
All SD training had disappeared....

Once too was big fun.
Guy asked to punch him. Just for fun to show how skilled he is after SD courses.

He was friendly and normal guy + polite.
BTW some SD stuff he had learned....

Damn, we then had to live in the same dormitory. Young students.
I asked him: might I attack you with any method?
When he told yes I grabbed his hands and started to wrestle in standup.
He was surprised that unarmed attack method might be not only most common punches attempts....

Last edited:
I got stabbed in the hand once. My best advice for defense against knife attacks would be to simply run away. <{UberTS}>

Back