Reality check: SJWs don't want to help only persecute

Brow-beating everyone who says something that may hurt some member of some chosen group's feelings doesn't (in my opinion) make for a better nation.

i am one of the most non pc people alive, i have never been a "victim" of being called a racist or any kind of bigot.

allot of these problems with sjw's occurs on the internet and isolatated cases and they are repeated over and over again by people (like tweets) until it seems like a nationwide problem.

we even have posters here who find obscure tweets or you tube videos and pretend its a common occurance.

so i dont agree this "im offended by everything" culture really hurts our nation.

in new mexico i have seen people with confederate flags...and being a majority hispanic state...NOBODY CARES. thats the reality.

yet some people will still find _one_ tweet or person here who is offended on social media and it turns into...

"DONT MOVE TO NEW MEXICO!! its full of sjw and they hate freedom of speech!!!"

when its the furthest from the truth.
even in texas with the large black population...most blacks dont lash out everytime they see a confederate flag.

OK, so I said I was going to respond to this. Unfortunately, it kind of warrants a longer response than I feel like making right now, but I'll go ahead and give as concise of a response as I can right now (which I probably should write an essay on, but I probably won't).

First, I entirely acknowledge the fact that labels like racist are frequently overused, and that's one of the biggest issues I have with some social justice movements. It A) muddies the water, so to speak, and B) alienates potential allies. Calling a working-class white guy who voted for Trump because of his dissatisfaction with the Democrats is (probably) not racist. Slavoj Zizek (an actual Marxist, rather than one of the straw commies certain reactionaries like to screech about), whom I brought up in an earlier post, has brought up this exact point over and over again. He's said that, if there is a path to a more authentic left in the US, it must necessarily go through Trump's base.

That said, just because terms like racist are sometimes overused, that doesn't mean that they don't have a valid use. Richard Spencer is a racist, and should be referred to as such. Admittedly that's a rather extreme example, and it gets blurry between the two examples I've given, but there are certainly less extreme examples where the term racist is completely appropriate. That is the fundamental different between terms like racist and reactionary buzzwords like SJW, which are ill-defined and have absolutely no other purpose than to shut down discourse.

Thanks.

From what I've seen the term racist is very rarely used according to its definition.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism

NOUN
mass noun
  • 1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

‘a programme to combat racism’
    1. 1.1 The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Whereas SJW is predominantly used accordingly.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/social-justice-warrior

noun
Disparaging. a person who advocates a progressive orthodoxy, oftenon the Internet, especially involving the treatment of ethnic, racial,gender, or gender-identity minorities.
Abbreviation: SJW.

Not really sure how a racist is more easily and concretely identified than an SJW. And in the end, labeling people with either one of these terms during a conversation amounts to the same thing. An ad hominem attack.

If you want to change anything, people have to organize in a non-violent political revolution.

I'm a little hesitant to react to this, because this is liable to go into a tangent, and also because this actually warrants several essays, which, again, I really don't want to write, lol. But, here are the broad strokes.

1: the phrase "non-violent revolution". All revolution is necessarily violent. The question is, what sort of violence, and against whom?

2: the traditional liberal notion of non-violence, while it sounds nice, is pretty fundamentally flawed. All of politics is violent, albeit, not always in intuitive ways.

3: in more practical terms, I don't think that revolution is really possible (at least within the first world), and even if it were, I don't think it would necessarily produce a good result.

i heard @MysticNinjaJay was arrested outside their house in his karate uniform
oosg9tF.gif

i am one of the most non pc people alive, i have never been a "victim" of being called a racist or any kind of bigot.

allot of these problems with sjw's occurs on the internet and isolatated cases and they are repeated over and over again by people (like tweets) until it seems like a nationwide problem.

we even have posters here who find obscure tweets or you tube videos and pretend its a common occurance.

so i dont agree this "im offended by everything" culture really hurts our nation.

in new mexico i have seen people with confederate flags...and being a majority hispanic state...NOBODY CARES. thats the reality.

yet some people will still find _one_ tweet or person here who is offended on social media and it turns into...

"DONT MOVE TO NEW MEXICO!! its full of sjw and they hate freedom of speech!!!"

when its the furthest from the truth.
even in texas with the large black population...most blacks dont lash out everytime they see a confederate flag.

I'm sure we all have a different perspective on frequency and I'm not going to make any claims as to its prevalence in real life. I stand by the belief that it being commonplace is not a good thing.

Honestly I live in a small isolated town so I've never had a face to face encounter with an SJW. I would love to punch one in the face though.

Thanks.

From what I've seen the term racist is very rarely used according to its definition.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism

Whereas SJW is predominantly used accordingly.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/social-justice-warrior

noun
Disparaging. a person who advocates a progressive orthodoxy, oftenon the Internet, especially involving the treatment of ethnic, racial,gender, or gender-identity minorities.
Abbreviation: SJW.

Not really sure how a racist is more easily and concretely identified than an SJW. And in the end, labeling people with either one of these terms during a conversation amounts to the same thing. An ad hominem attack.
Well, first off, that definition of SJW is pretty fundamentally flawed. The phrase "progressive orthodoxy" is not only ill-defined on its face, but in a deeper reading is somewhat contradictory, as the term "progressive", in regards to politics, describes an opposition to political orthodoxy. I'll admit, this may seem a bit pedantic (cards on the table: I double-majored in mathematics and philosophy, so I'll admit that I have a bit of a liking for precision of language that borders on the fetishistic), but I think imprecise language, even if completely innocent, kills discourse.

Secondly, even if there were some adequate definition of SJW, it doesn't have a non-pejorative use, whereas racist, despite its potential for misuse, does.

Well, first off, that definition of SJW is pretty fundamentally flawed. The phrase "progressive orthodoxy" is not only ill-defined on its face, but in a deeper reading is somewhat contradictory, as the term "progressive", in regards to politics, describes an opposition to political orthodoxy. I'll admit, this may seem a bit pedantic (cards on the table: I double-majored in mathematics and philosophy, so I'll admit that I have a bit of a liking for precision of language that borders on the fetishistic), but I think imprecise language, even if completely innocent, kills discourse.

Secondly, even if there were some adequate definition of SJW, it doesn't have a non-pejorative use, whereas racist, despite its potential for misuse, does.

I'm not gonna quibble. I think it's pretty easy to see someone correcting others on how to speak (including which words to use) about minorities and understand that's what is meant by calling someone an SJW. Whereas even if you hear someone use a racial slur that doesn't necessarily mean they are racist.

I've never seen the word racist used without a negative connotation.

Congrats on being able to stomach reading philosophy. I can't do it. :oops:

the foolish anti sjw is one who thinks everyone who defends another person is a sjw.

It's been my experience that when someone calls themselves an anti-SJW, that is often what they think, or at least act like they think.

I was just mocking buddy, because according the definition presented in this thread, Francis Ngannou counts as an SJW, as does basically every athlete, celebrity, and politician who ever spoke up about an injustice.

I was just mocking buddy, because according the definition presented in this thread, Francis Ngannou counts as an SJW, as does basically every athlete, celebrity, and politician who ever spoke up about an injustice.

To me the obvious difference is a SJW personally attacks/ridicules/corrects someone who says the wrong thing. Speaking out on an issue in general wouldn't make one an SJW.

I'm a little hesitant to react to this, because this is liable to go into a tangent, and also because this actually warrants several essays, which, again, I really don't want to write, lol. But, here are the broad strokes.

1: the phrase "non-violent revolution". All revolution is necessarily violent. The question is, what sort of violence, and against whom?

2: the traditional liberal notion of non-violence, while it sounds nice, is pretty fundamentally flawed. All of politics is violent, albeit, not always in intuitive ways.

3: in more practical terms, I don't think that revolution is really possible (at least within the first world), and even if it were, I don't think it would necessarily produce a good result.

I would point you to the documentary how to start a revolution, or the book it was based on from Dictatorship to Democracy, as a rebutal to this.

Honestly I live in a small isolated town so I've never had a face to face encounter with an SJW. I would love to punch one in the face though.

i live in a large city and have never had an encounter with a SJW. Not even sure if it is a real thing

i live in a large city and have never had an encounter with a SJW. Not even sure if it is a real thing

I heard a guy say "Asian" to describe a person yesterday, and everyone got weird. A hush over the room.

Maybe it's not real but people got seriously fucking weird in the last however many years.

I heard a guy say "Asian" to describe a person yesterday, and everyone got weird. A hush over the room.

Maybe it's not real but people got seriously fucking weird in the last however many years.

what city was this in?

Back