Reinventing SM's Fat @$$

Ah, I wanted to get a big firm job (for the $, obviously) out of school, but it didn't pan out. Based on what my friends who did get those jobs say, I think I got lucky by not getting lucky. I started here in 2008, after graduation.

New Jersey
Jersey, no way, bro!
425.ad.JerseyShore.120909.jpg

Some updates:

My firm kicked off its "Biggest Loser" competition yesterday. There is a total possible award of $600 ($800 to the winning two-person team, and $200 to the overall winner). Also, my gym is having its own 12-week "Transformation" contest with the winner getting $1,000. So that's a total possible victory of $1800. As some of you may know, I'm getting married in a couple months and I'm in the process of buying a house, so I need money! As such, it's time to get serious in this bitch.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

6:00 am - fasted walk jog, 1 mile
6:45 am - probiotics and water
7:00 am - shake: rice protein, handful of spinach, flax, 1 cup water, 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk (1 g carbs, 1 g sugar)
8 - 10:00 am - 2 cups coffee with sugar free creamer
1:30 pm - salisbury steak over a small spinach salad (with cucumbers, cheese and some grilled chicken)

Last edited:
Rice protein? Are you lactose intolerant?

I have colitis, so a lot of protein powders (especially those with casein) give me major issues. I have rice protein and True Protein's cold filtration whey isolate, which are both pretty easy on my stomach. Sometimes I mix them. I have read, and my strength coach mentioned, that whey can impact your insulin response, so what I've been doing lately is taking whey right after I lift, but using rice (or a mix) when I have a shake for breakfast. I don't know if it's really significant enough to worry about, but I had a blood test that showed my sugar was high, so I kinda freaked out about sugar and insulin response for a while. Then I had the 3-hour glucose test and found out I'm fine, so I might not get the rice again next time, and just stick to the isolate.

Some updates:

My firm kicked off its "Biggest Loser" competition yesterday. There is a total possible award of $600 ($800 to the winning two-person team, and $200 to the overall winner). Also, my gym is having its own 12-week "Transformation" contest with the winner getting $1,000. So that's a total possible victory of $1800. As some of you may know, I'm getting married in a couple months and I'm in the process of buying a house, so I need money! As such, it's time to get serious in this bitch.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

6:00 am - fasted walk jog, 1 mile
6:45 am - probiotics and water
7:00 am - shake: rice protein, handful of spinach, flax, 1 cup water, 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk (1 g carbs, 1 g sugar)
8 - 10:00 am - 2 cups coffee with sugar free creamer

So I've been thinking about your fat-loss woes a lot the last week as I've started dieting again. The issue you have (not eating much in the day, then housing half your fridge for dinner) that's foiling your weight loss is the exact same strategy I use to great effect. So why does it work for me, but not you?

Then it hit me: mother-futon vegetables. When I start dieting, despite eating less calories, my food bill stays the same or even increases slightly because I more or less double my vegetable intake, especially for dinner. So yeah, I'll house a bunless bacon cheese burger after lifting with a fried egg, but it's on a big bed of baby spinach and topped with a woile onion and whole pepper (sauteed in the bacon fat). So you've eaten a ton, but it's a lot of veggies too so you're full all night. A square of dark chocolate after dinner, and that's it.

So I've been thinking about your fat-loss woes a lot the last week as I've started dieting again. The issue you have (not eating much in the day, then housing half your fridge for dinner) that's foiling your weight loss is the exact same strategy I use to great effect. So why does it work for me, but not you?

Then it hit me: mother-futon vegetables. When I start dieting, despite eating less calories, my food bill stays the same or even increases slightly because I more or less double my vegetable intake, especially for dinner. So yeah, I'll house a bunless bacon cheese burger after lifting with a fried egg, but it's on a big bed of baby spinach and topped with a woile onion and whole pepper (sauteed in the bacon fat). So you've eaten a ton, but it's a lot of veggies too so you're full all night. A square of dark chocolate after dinner, and that's it.

I think you are completely, right, B3. Jay said something very similar to me, just with more curse words. And I have started trying to work in more veggies, especially spinach. I learned that I like raw spinach better than cooked, for some reason. And I like cooked spinach more when it's cooked with garlic (like Carrie made last night). Today I've had two decent sized servings of spinach (a handful in my shake and another handful in my side salad w/ lunch). Working them into my late night menu is a great idea, though. Get full on stuff that won't fatten me up (even more). Gracias!

I think you are completely, right, B3. Jay said something very similar to me, just with more curse words. And I have started trying to work in more veggies, especially spinach. I learned that I like raw spinach better than cooked, for some reason. And I like cooked spinach more when it's cooked with garlic (like Carrie made last night). Today I've had two decent sized servings of spinach (a handful in my shake and another handful in my side salad w/ lunch). Working them into my late night menu is a great idea, though. Get full on stuff that won't fatten me up (even more). Gracias!

It seems to help if instead of having a crap ton of one veggie, you have 2 separate veggie dishes per dinner (s o basically take you traditional protein, starch, veggie meal and switch out the starch for another veggie), so that you're not force feeling yourself 3/4 of a bag of raw spinach. Get some broccoli slaw and/or coleslaw mix, it's a good one :).

To make sure I stick to my guns, I just buy a crap ton of fresh veggies when I go shopping. My inner cheepskate won't let me throw out $30 worth of food.

It seems to help if instead of having a crap ton of one veggie, you have 2 separate veggie dishes per dinner (s o basically take you traditional protein, starch, veggie meal and switch out the starch for another veggie), so that you're not force feeling yourself 3/4 of a bag of raw spinach. Get some broccoli slaw and/or coleslaw mix, it's a good one :).

To make sure I stick to my guns, I just buy a crap ton of fresh veggies when I go shopping. My inner cheepskate won't let me throw out $30 worth of food.

Word. We are looking forward to getting into the new house, because once the mortgage payments start we won't be able to afford to throw out uneaten veggies.

Thanks, man.

You could always have your own veggie garden during the more hospitable months -- you are in the Garden State after all.

Back