Social Religious 'Nones' are now the largest single group in the U.S.

LoL. Look at the two clowns who liked your post. Should make you rethink your life.
lol look at the clown who thinks religion isn’t behind one of the biggest conflicts in the world right now , claiming religion makes the world better.

They replace God with the government and some Trump fans view him as some messianic figure which is disturbing.
more of a hammer to break the rock, quite obvious by how hard the rock pushed back

Troof. I can't stand most atheists. I just don't believe in God, we don't need to have a discussion about how dumb people who do are.

It's just boring.
Seconded.

As a non-believer, most others I’ve talked to about it come off as believers themselves, and so damn preachy, self-aggrandizing, and malicious. Guess they somehow got it figured out.

Yeah, that's great and all, except all of it exists solely in your head. It's a fantasy. He got mollywhopped by Biden among the "Nones" in 2020. They actually supported Biden far more robustly than Clinton. He was actually less popular with this group than any Republican candidate in 20 years.
ft_2021.08.30_validatedvotersreligion_04.png

exitpoll-1.png

He's not bringing over anyone areligious over because they are more attracted to his feigned Christianity and pro-Christian policies. Independent breakaways have nothing to do with that. It's because the core Republican voters are becoming less religious. They care about adhering to marriage less. They care about "traditional" marriage less (i.e. gay marriage). They care about prohibiting abortion less. They care about nuclear families less. They care about charity and volunteerism less. They care about maintaining a strong and well-funded Church less; a church that, while separate from the state, maintains a check on the state's power as an institutional lobby. In fact, they increasingly believe the Church should not play a role in helping to mold policy. All of these classic positons associated with religious belief, specifically Christian belief, are eroding, and that is showing up even among those who identify as Republican.

So, everything you just said is wrong. But otherwise, yeah, sure. Spot on analysis. Not a deluded fanboyist take.

lol, I just double checked the “data” you posted to. Correct me if I am wrong, but it shows trump did better with non-affiliated than McCain. And the other image shows among “nones” increased in 2020, it tied Romney based on the other image. So that part of your argiment about 20 years is kind of in your head. Among all the other shifts for Trump between 2016 and 2020 based on your graph

Sure a lot of people who were unaffiliated came out for Biden in 2020, concerned about Trump’s response to COVID, the bad press, etc. the exact type of independents now realizing maybe Biden was not what they thought. And will either not come out for Biden this time, or will vote for Trump.

I think you're playing fast and loose with the distinctions here. The sectors of Christianity would trump the "nones", alone. You got one group that makes up an ultimate "no religion" group, but conveniently split apart religious sects to make the "nones" absolute stance seem like a majority collective.

This should really just be religious vs non-religious. The non-religious are getting their asses kicked as usual.

Lol, and completely ignoring the current polls of independents, who generally are non-religious going for Trump the last year or so. If you look at the graph he posted on this page, Trump is killing it with a number of groups. Yea in 2020 Biden did get a big spike in “nones” but was that was in relation to COVID craziness? Current polls would suggest so, that that spike will be nothing, if not inverted in 2024 and favoring Trump

Really don’t understand what this thread is all about other than to try and take a cheap shot at Trump not the most devote person, and to demean the religious base for following him, from someone who voted for Biden.

Seems to be longing for conservative values and doesn’t know how to interpret it due to TDS, and is trying to find some justification for all their political takes for the last 5-10 years.

To be fair, mental illness is brutal. Let us pray

I USED to be agnostic, but then I decided I did t like fence spokes jammed up my arse, gave my balls a tug, and got on with adulting....You know, 15 is a precious age.
Or. Or… Someone can realize there are things out there that one cannot possibly understand or know. That something just might be truly unfathomable and unknowable. What with being limited as we humans are. Truly that could be the case sometimes, right?

Seconded.

As a non-believer, most others I’ve talked to about it come off as believers themselves, and so damn preachy, self-aggrandizing, and malicious. Guess they somehow got it figured out.

They are as much zealots as any religious zealot, if not much more so, because they rely on an ever changing anvil of science for their beliefs, keeping them anxious. Have faith in a higher power, relax and breathe.

Their high priests are the experts and pundits on new channels along with their pharma advertisers. Commercialization of mental illness, which has mutated into the current form of equity and gender affirming care.

SAD!

They are as much zealots as any religious zealot, if not much more so, because they rely on an ever changing anvil of science for their beliefs, keeping them anxious. Have faith in a higher power, relax and breathe.

Their high priests are the experts and pundits on new channels along with their pharma advertisers. Commercialization of mental illness, which has mutated into the current form of equity and gender affirming care.

SAD!
This seems accurate in many cases. What’s strange is how many times has “science” had to backtrack and say “oh, we got that wrong” before one stops taking it as the gospel, so to speak.

Though you cannot force yourself into believing in a higher power. It doesn’t work that way. You can pay lip service, and pretend, but if your god is truly all-knowing or what have you, then it would know one doesn’t really believe. Would that be enough for most of our gods we have? I’m not so sure it would be according to my limited understanding of the gods most of us worship.

I’m open to there being a god of some sort out there, but not a personal god who gives a shit about you on a personal level. That seems unlikely to me. Though again, I’m just a barely functioning human as it is, so what the hell do I truly know outside of my own thoughts and feelings?

This seems accurate in many cases. What’s strange is how many times has “science” had to backtrack and say “oh, we got that wrong” before one stops taking it as the gospel, so to speak.

Though you cannot force yourself into believing in a higher power. It doesn’t work that way. You can pay lip service, and pretend, but if your god is truly all-knowing or what have you, then it would know one doesn’t really believe. Would that be enough for most of our gods we have? I’m not so sure it would be according to my limited understanding of the gods most of us worship.

I’m open to there being a god of some sort out there, but not a personal god who gives a shit about you on a personal level. That seems unlikely to me. Though again, I’m just a barely functioning human as it is, so what the hell do I truly know outside of my own thoughts and feelings?

Not sure if you saw my other post(s) but I would consider myself agnostic with a karma like view of the world. That type of spiritual view coincides with physics and philosophy, where everything action has a reaction, etc, valence electrons continually trying to find stability around stable entities. It opens up a whole conversation not worth having here.

But if you go back to my post that you quoted, I view that type of anvil of faith created by centuries of tradition, values, etc, being the metaphorical protons and neutrons that unstable electrons gravitate too. Creating stability, to be able to breathe and relax, and build upon.

Meanwhile the ever turning anvils of “progressive science” where there can be huge paradigm shifts within just a few years, there is no stability to build upon and leads to increasing chaos.

There was an interesting tangent in a thread recently about the bullshit of metaphysics and how it fucked up science. Maybe in the Claudine gay thread? Either way, this conversation reminded me of that lol

SAD!

Ever-changing anvils backed by data > ever-changing imaginary anvils based on feels.

Being able to backtrack and admit you're wrong > claiming your perspective is aligned with that personal God's and this, you absolutely cannot be wrong.

Ever-changing anvils backed by data > ever-changing imaginary anvils based on feels.

Being able to backtrack and admit you're wrong > claiming your perspective is aligned with that personal God's and this, you absolutely cannot be wrong.
Agree. What im trying to say, and probably quite badly at this point, is that most take a hardline stance based on what we “know” right now, and never think of the possibility that it could be based on information that is incorrect. As it has happened time and time again. Best to say you don’t know imo. It’s the only logical view of a god existing in my eyes. Guess it also depends on your definition of a god, and what that truly implies.

Agree. What im trying to say, and probably quite badly at this point, is that most take a hardline stance based on what we “know” right now, and never think of the possibility that it could be based on information that is incorrect. As it has happened time and time again. Best to say you don’t know imo. It’s the only logical view of a god existing in my eyes. Guess it also depends on your definition of a god, and what that truly implies.

Lol, obsolete, I would refer you back to sinister’s opinions/posts in the recent thread about joy Reid and moms for liberty. That also reflects back on the OP in this thread who expresses concern of where the country is going away from traditional values, faith, etc

Lol, obsolete, I would refer you back to sinister’s opinions/posts in the recent thread about joy Reid and moms for liberty. That also reflects back on the OP in this thread who expresses concern of where the country is going away from traditional values, faith, etc
I don’t wanna.. I enjoy living in the moment lol. Taking a post based on its content related to the topic at hand, instead of digging up past posts that might just have me outright dismissing something of value, because of the lunacy that might have preceeded it.

And I’m not immune to posting stupid shit here and there. I’m not the smartest man(Gump-voice) so can’t judge anyone else too harshly.

Or. Or… Someone can realize there are things out there that one cannot possibly understand or know. That something just might be truly unfathomable and unknowable. What with being limited as we humans are. Truly that could be the case sometimes, right?
I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion... I was just teasing, I hope I didn't offend.

I grew up in Christianity, was agnostic in my early teens, and became an atheist from about the age of 15 or so.

But atheism isn't a club, and I don't give a fuck what other atheist's think as a group. Nor do I think somebody believing in Allah, or Jesus, or God or whatever makes them "stupid". Faith is not a measure of intellect IMO, neither is it a barometer of decency, as in the extremes all of these categories seem to fail @ being a decent human being (and I very much include atheists in that grouping, because if Atheism is a religion for you, I'm afraid that you have very much missed the point).
Nothing wrong with being agnostic.... it's a very balanced state of being.

I believe that there is absolutely NOTHING that is unfathomable and unknowable over the persistence of time. Yesterday's magic is todays trivial knowledge, and as long as mankind persists there will be those with the desire to progress human knowledge building on the knowledge that came before them, or even rewriting the rules as better understanding comes forth.

Of course, one maniacal twat like Trump, Putin, Xi or whomever could very well end the whole human experience, and some mysteries will remain locked in the radioactive clouds of extinction.... but apart from that...

Jesus I'm ranty today.

I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion... I was just teasing, I hope I didn't offend.

I grew up in Christianity, was agnostic in my early teens, and became an atheist from about the age of 15 or so.

But atheism isn't a club, and I don't give a fuck what other atheist's think as a group. Nor do I think somebody believing in Allah, or Jesus, or God or whatever makes them "stupid". Faith is not a measure of intellect IMO, neither is it a barometer of decency, as in the extremes all of these categories seem to fail @ being a decent human being (and I very much include atheists in that grouping, because if Atheism is a religion for you, I'm afraid that you have very much missed the point).
Nothing wrong with being agnostic.... it's a very balanced state of being.

I believe that there is absolutely NOTHING that is unfathomable and unknowable over the persistence of time. Yesterday's magic is todays trivial knowledge, and as long as mankind persists there will be those with the desire to progress human knowledge building on the knowledge that came before them, or even rewriting the rules as better understanding comes forth.

Of course, one maniacal twat like Trump, Putin, Xi or whomever could very well end the whole human experience, and some mysteries will remain locked in the radioactive clouds of extinction.... but apart from that...

Jesus I'm ranty today.
I didn’t take it personally, just expressing my thoughts on it. I also disagree lol. Definitely do not view atheism as a religion, but I absolutely feel that many atheists tend to take it to that point, as they have “faith” that they know something they do not. Also, I
think it is absolute hubris to say there is nothing that is unknowable as a human. That to me doesn’t make sense, as we are just another animal. We have limits. We cannot say, jump to the moon with our legs, or go directly into a star. So taking that and attempting to extrapolate into the mental realm, I cannot see how one can honestly say there is no limits to what we can truly know. I do think there are boundaries we will never cross, no matter the time invested. Especially what happens after true death. You will have to go there permanently to see, and then, you are not coming back to tell the tale. That is where I think a god would truly be. If of course there is one, or many, to begin with.

Just some thoughts of a random animal here.

I didn’t take it personally, just expressing my thoughts on it. I also disagree lol. Definitely do not view atheism as a religion, but I absolutely feel that many atheists tend to take it to that point, as they have “faith” that they know something they do not. Also, I
think it is absolute hubris to say there is nothing that is unknowable as a human. That to me doesn’t make sense, as we are just another animal. We have limits. We cannot say, jump to the moon with our legs, or go directly into a star. So taking that and attempting to extrapolate into the mental realm, I cannot see how one can honestly say there is no limits to what we can truly know. I do think there are boundaries we will never cross, no matter the time invested. Especially what happens after true death. You will have to go there permanently to see, and then, you are not coming back to tell the tale. That is where I think a god would truly be. If of course there is one, or many, to begin with.

Just some thoughts of a random animal
I have limits. You have limits. But , I don't think humanity as a species does given eternity.

this first video in a 60 some odd long series of college courses on the disaster of losing a biding spiritual meaning and the profoundly negative effects that result of it might be interesting to some of you who are intellectually curious. i have chosen this series because the professor is an atheist and so it should ruffle as few feathers as possible.

on the short though? if we are going to abandon religion we better ransack religion and philosophy for the profound wisdom it contains and methods for cultivating it as viewed from the perspective of cognitive psychologist before everything falls apart!!

me personally? every single year really does show a marked increase in peace and joy and love and creativity. i am more inspired and moved and grateful thatn i have ever been and it never stops growing year to year. if someone felt what it is like to be me they would think im on drugs. it is intense and profound and never stops growing!! nobody not involved in a deep bona fide spiritual path has what i have and they never will either. what i have is reliable and repeatable across all personality types. it just plain works.

what im on is a deep spiritual path called Christianity that i learned from monks and nuns.

Last edited:
It always blows my mind that this number isn't higher. Almost no one I know is religious. Typically just older people and minorities.
Theres quite a bit of those who consider themselves christian even though they dont go to church and dont know anything about the bible. They are christian in a tribal way.

What will people blame when there is no more religion?

I'm not religious but state sanctioned violence has done more harm than any religion. It's ridiculous to even compare.
they will blame the people the "new" way isnt working for.

Back