Rematches that never happened where you would take the loser to win

Cain/Werdum. It's a meme but Werdum was at Mexico City more than a month in advance while Cain basically showed up the week of the fight. RDA/Alvarez.

Rockhold/Bisping 3 as well if that qualifies. It annoys me that Bisping escaped with that upset victory and basically talked endless shit after it without every fighting Rockhold again.
I think Werdum was a bad style match up for him.

At the time Werdum was piecing him up on the feet from the start because he didn't care about the takedown threat and if Cain tries to take him down he can't handle Werdums ground game.

Because I put vs and not over? Or you’re just saying GSP wins regardless?

I simply listed 2 fights where I thought results could be different in my own head.
GSP on his worst day beat Johnny so I am certainly saying GSP beats him again. Only difference in result would be Johnny getting finished quicker then he finishes his 2nd dinner. It would have to be at MW since Johnny couldn't make weight at WW again.

GSP on his worst day beat Johnny so I am certainly saying GSP beats him again. Only difference in result would be Johnny getting finished quicker then he finishes his 2nd dinner. It would have to be at MW since Johnny couldn't make weight at WW again.
The Johnny that went toe to toe with Robbie for 5 rounds? Gets finished by GSP who had like zero finishes in forever at this point? The GSP that lost interest and didn’t want to fight anymore and seemingly didn’t have the same motivation? He's going to finish that Johnny on record speed?

Wait are we doing this retrospectively or at a much later date. I’m talking immediate rematch with this one. A later date I’m taking GSP (if he like took a year or more off). If he fought when Lawler got Johnny making Johnny in the rematch.

Cain/Werdum - Cain wasn't acclimated in Mexico City, one of the highest elevated cities in the world (almost double the elevation of Salt Lake City) and would've been gassed just warming up in the dressing room. Was also coming off a long injury filled layoff with surgeries. Still won the first round by landing sig strikes, controlling Werdum against the cage and landing takedowns.

Jan/Pereira - Jan wasn't acclimated in Salt Lake, and was completely gassed after the 1st round and didn't have the energy to work from the top after getting takedowns past the 1st round. Otherwise it looks like when he beat Izzy.

Jones/Reyes and GSP/Hendricks - Both Jones and GSP were at the end of their careers, and likely would've lost the rematches had they stuck around. Both came back for favorable matchups.

Chael/Anderson 3 - If Chael doesn't fall down throwing spinning backfists after Anderson held his shorts, he wins. I doubt Anderson will be able to land that hail mary again.

Last edited:
I think Werdum was a bad style match up for him.

At the time Werdum was piecing him up on the feet from the start because he didn't care about the takedown threat and if Cain tries to take him down he can't handle Werdums ground game.
Werdum lost the first round and took over once Cain was visibly gassed. That elevation is no joke. Mexico City has way higher elevation than Denver and Salt Lake City.

Werdum is definitely a tough, stylistic matchup but I think Cardio Cain would win a rematch without the insane elevation.

The Johnny that went toe to toe with Robbie for 5 rounds? Gets finished by GSP who had like zero finishes in forever at this point? The GSP that lost interest and didn’t want to fight anymore and seemingly didn’t have the same motivation? He's going to finish that Johnny on record speed?

Wait are we doing this retrospectively or at a much later date. I’m talking immediate rematch with this one. A later date I’m taking GSP (if he like took a year or more off). If he fought when Lawler got Johnny making Johnny in the rematch.
I am talking Post USADA Johnny. 5-1 record, left WW after getting KTFO by Wonderboy, missing weight vs Kelvin and Magny (lost to both by UD), moved to MW and beat Lombard and losing to Boetch and Costa.

Dana vs his wife. She’ll be better prepared this time.

Cain/Werdum. It's a meme but Werdum was at Mexico City more than a month in advance while Cain basically showed up the week of the fight.

I disagree. Cain didn't acclimate properly sure but Werdum also was hanging on him in the thai clinch shutting down Cains infamous wall n maul with the single undertook which just wore on him like wearing a 200lb necklace combined with altitude. I think the fight goes the same way just less sloppy from both guys.

After that bum off the streets came in and took Della Maddalena down like 4 times in the first round,
I'm willing to say that anybody with an actual wrestling game is likely to win a rematch over Jack. Now we know where he's uncomfortable.

A Sambo world champ from Dagestan surely tried. Doesn't take getting exposed for teams to figure out wrestling the prospect who's knocking everyone out is a good idea.

I think the first round of Cain/Werdum showed it could go the other way, Cain landed plenty on Werdum and on another night I think potentially could put him away BUT I think that fight really exposed Cain's striking defence and his dependance on the clinch to rest. Unlike JDS Werdum had a strong jab to punish him and unlike JDS he had a significant threat on his back that Cain didnt want to face, every time Cain tried to clinch Werdum could lock up the thai plum because he wasnt afraid of being taken down and Cain had to disengage and keep throwing down. Thats IMHO the big the reason he gassed here and not vs JDS IMHO, he didnt have his breaks clinching against the cage between throwing flurries of offence and was eating jabs to the face.

Bisping though I think does clearly expose that "company men" have a massive benefit when it comes to only havign the rematches they want to happen. Izzy recently vs Alex was the same IMHO which is why I pleased to see him lose to Strickland.
It is curious that I saw the opposite way.
Cain lost his biggest weapons which was constant pressure, Takedown and Ground'n'Pound.
Cain was afraid of following Werdum to the ground, so Werdum baited him repeatedly, but Cain remained standing.
That gave confidence to Werdum, and he started to beat the shit out of Cain. when Cain finally gave up his strategy (of not going to the ground), and reverted back to his instincts and he finally followed Werdum to the ground, and Werdum easily caught him with the choke. By the time they hit the ground, Werdum was already smiling.

I do concede about Cain arriving just days before the fight. But then again, it's not like Werdum hid the fact he would go so early to get acclimated to the high Altitude.
Cain is a professional. They made an informed decision. I mean, it's common knowledge that fighting at altitude air is more Rarefied. They should have known that and trained accordingly.

This is on them, so it should not be used as a valid excuse.But regardless of Gas tank, I just don't see how Cain could beat Werdum.

And it's not because I dislike Cain, but Werdum had the exact attributes to counter Cain.
With his 2nd degree BB in BJJ, Cain was right to fear the ground game of the man who just beat Fedor.
But add his Black belt in Judo and combine with Muay Thai (in which he is also a Black belt)... I don't think anyone could drop Werdum if he ever chose to stand... but the man loves the ground... with reason. I contend that he was beating Overeem, if he didn't fall to the ground every time AO raised his hand... That looked so stupid!!! He begging Overeem to go to the ground... IMHO he lost because of the appearance that AO was dropping him.

So it wasn't the altitude. That didn't help. But Cain lost because Werdum had all the answers.

Last edited:
Carwin vs Lesnar
Carwin would have paced himself a little better and knocked Lesnar out in round 2 instead of getting submitted.
And he would have reigned supreme as heavyweight champ and never get back problems and never retire.
Shut up, let me dream goddamnit
That match still pissed me off so much
That was pretty much as good as Carwin could do. He did everything he could. He wasn’t gonna grow another lung for a rematch.

Paul Daley was supposed to fight Josh Koscheck at a Bellator a couple of years ago, and would have murdered him.

Sadly, Kos pulled out of the fight.

Back