Rematches that never happened where you would take the loser to win

By the time that Askren fought Masvidal, his body was F’d.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d have lost again even after the hip surgery.

I think Werdum was a bad style match up for him.

At the time Werdum was piecing him up on the feet from the start because he didn't care about the takedown threat and if Cain tries to take him down he can't handle Werdums ground game.
Ya people sleep on Werdum cuz he never defend since he decided to run after Stipe and doubled down on it

Cain/Werdum. It's a meme but Werdum was at Mexico City more than a month in advance while Cain basically showed up the week of the fight. RDA/Alvarez.

Rockhold/Bisping 3 as well if that qualifies. It annoys me that Bisping escaped with that upset victory and basically talked endless shit after it without every fighting Rockhold again.
Eddie Alvarez was always a better fighter than RDA

Cain was afraid of following Werdum to the ground, so Werdum baited him repeatedly, but Cain remained standing.
Cain did go to the ground with Werdum twice in the 1st round though.

Seems like the Fedor sub gave Werdum some kind of god complex to fans when it comes to going to the ground with him. Obviously nobody wants to spend too much time there with him, but he's likely not going to get a quick 2 second sub every time like he did with Fedor.

Just look how much time Overeem spent in Werdum's guard when they fought in Strikeforce, and Cain is a black belt BJJ under the same guy that DC only a brown belt with, so it's not like he's some kind of amateur where he can't last on top of Werdum for a bit.

Cain won the 1st round by landing hard sig strikes in the standup, controlling him against the cage, AND taking him down twice landing some good shots to score damage and control points, then letting him back up. I think if he's acclimated properly, he does this for 5 rounds.

Even though Werdum is the hardest possible matchup for him, a prime Cain would be the favorite every time they fought for good reason.

Last edited:
It is curious that I saw the opposite way.
Cain lost his biggest weapons which was constant pressure, Takedown and Ground'n'Pound.
Cain was afraid of following Werdum to the ground, so Werdum baited him repeatedly, but Cain remained standing.
That gave confidence to Werdum, and he started to beat the shit out of Cain. when Cain finally gave up his strategy (of not going to the ground), and reverted back to his instincts and he finally followed Werdum to the ground, and Werdum easily caught him with the choke. By the time they hit the ground, Werdum was already smiling.

I do concede about Cain arriving just days before the fight. But then again, it's not like Werdum hid the fact he would go so early to get acclimated to the high Altitude.
Cain is a professional. He and his team fucked upon that!
But I just don't see how Cain could beat Werdum.

And it's not because I dislike Cain, but Werdum had the exact attributes to counter Cain.
With his 2nd degree BB in BJJ, Cain was right to fear the ground game of the man who just beat Fedor.
But add his Black belt in Judo and combine with Muay Thai (in which he is also a Black belt)... I don't think anyone could drop Werdum if he ever chose to stand... but the man loves the ground... with reason. I contend that he was beating Overeem, if he didn't fall to the ground every time AO raised his hand... That looked so stupid!!! He begging Overeem to go to the ground... IMHO he lost because of the appearance that AO was dropping him.

So it wasn't the altitude. That didn't help. But Cain lost because Werdum had all the answers.
Thats basically what I'm saying but I think one of the most important ways that manifested was in how it effected the cage clinching. Against JDS Cain could do this pretty much at will, slow the match down, clinch up Jnr for 30 secs to take a breather before breaking off and unloading on him again close in. Here though every time Cain did that Werdum hooked up the Thai plum, normally doing that would leave him very open to the takedown as Cain would be free to go for his legs but here Cain didnt want to get him down. We didnt actually see Werdum throw much in the Thai plum but it had the effect of Cain having to back off from the clinch and start to throw again straiht away to force him to break it meaning Cain couldnt get his rest periods.

Last edited:
Machida vs Rampage
Okami vs Franklin

Thats basically what I'm saying but I think one of the most important ways that manifested was in how it effected the cage clinching. Against JDS Cain could do this pretty much at will, slow the match down, clinch up Jnr for 30 secs to take a breather before breaking off and unloading on him again close in. Here though even time Cain did that Werdum hooked up the Thai plum, normally doing that would leave him very open to the takedown as Cain would be free to go for his legs but here Cain didnt want to get him down. We didnt actually see Werdum throw much in the Thai plum but it had the effect of Cain having to back off from the clinch and start to throw again straiht away to force him to break it meaning Cain couldnt get his rest periods.
Thai clinch was great equalizer in this fight.

Rockhold/Bisping 3 as well if that qualifies. It annoys me that Bisping escaped with that upset victory and basically talked endless shit after it without every fighting Rockhold again.

Bisping talking shit non stop as champ and Rockhold not getting the rematch was what made it glorious haha. Love that they became friends after it.

Aldo v Conor
Max v Conor
Mendes with full camp v Conor
Dustin v Cono..... oh wait, we already saw him kick his ass twice

Nate would also win the trilogy had it happened, but conor is trying to age him out if they ever fight again

Back