Media Remember when Dan Severn was ready to whoop a bunch of wrasslers?

Dan is the man. Shame that he jobbed on Brawl for All though but he and Blackman probably got a fat check for losing to JBL. Thank god JBL got knocked the fuck out in the final <Lmaoo>

I don't think he jobbed. He barely squeaked by the Godfather and then withdrew from the tournament. I don't blame him--the pay was shit, the rounds were only a minute long, the scoring system was a mess, and everyone wore giant boxing gloves which made it tough for a wrestler like Severn. Shamrock said he refused to participate because the payout was only 50K, and it seemed unfair for him as a trained fighter to go against guys who were just in there throwing haymakers at each other. Smart move by both Severn and Shamrock not to get wrapped up in that awful tournament.

I did some Cornette binging too. Did you ever see the ICP YouShoot? It's probably the most fun interview I've ever seen from two people I couldn't care less about.

Violent J waiting outside the interview both while benoit is inside cutting promos and vampiro banging on the door and running away.. benoit coming out ready to kill violent j lmao. Love that story.

Violent J waiting outside the interview both while benoit is inside cutting promos and vampiro banging on the door and running away.. benoit coming out ready to kill violent j lmao. Love that story.

Great story. And the Evan Karagias/Goldberg story is great too.

I think it's funny that Dan thinks he wouldn't have got his ass kicked in this situation.

Ken Shamrock was in WWF at the time... That's just one guy on the roster alone tough enough to fight him for real.

They could have also just sent the whole roster out to beat his ass rather quickly.

I was a huge fan of Severn during the SEG days but he was legit one of the worst pro wrestlers ever. Absolutely no personality and boring as hell in the ring.

Pretty much...

When Puder almost took out Angle’s shoulder, they actually punished him at the Royal Rumble in 2004 or 2005...

He came in as the 3rd entrant with Benoit and Eddie already in the ring and they were giving him some very stiff chops...

Hardcore Holly was the 4th entrant and he got some stiff shots in there as well...

In a Royal Rumble, Severn would have got stomped once the ring filled up...

And if he tried to shoot one on one, the WWE would find a way to spin the match to make it look like Severn lost, like that guy who put Angle in a Kimura in a grappling match but they said he was pinned for a three count...

What was the context there?

I don't think he jobbed. He barely squeaked by the Godfather and then withdrew from the tournament. I don't blame him--the pay was shit, the rounds were only a minute long, the scoring system was a mess, and everyone wore giant boxing gloves which made it tough for a wrestler like Severn. Shamrock said he refused to participate because the payout was only 50K, and it seemed unfair for him as a trained fighter to go against guys who were just in there throwing haymakers at each other. Smart move by both Severn and Shamrock not to get wrapped up in that awful tournament.

But we could have potentially seen Shamrock/Butterbean...

It would have been glorious.

They were doing some kid of like million dollar challenge or something like that to show of Angle’s wrestling (nobody was supposed to beat Angle)

They were actual shoot wrestling/grappling matches I believe, since the WWE didn’t expect anyone to outgrapple Angle.

But Puder, had an MMA background, and gave Angle the business. The ref counted the Kimura as a pin to save Angle from looking bad...

Last edited:

Kurt Angle was sent out there to embarrass the Tough Enough guys. They made them all do a bunch of crazy workout shit, eat pasta, and then do a hindu squat competition with the idea that they'd all be near death and Angle could do some amateur stuff with them an eat them alive. He was supposed to wrestle all of them, but cooler heads sort of prevailed and it was changed to just the winner of the squat competition. Puder actually did win, but they mistakenly eliminated him and had another guy, Chris Nawrocki, declared the winner. Angle mauled him and legitimately hurt him. Puder volunteered to try as well, and actually asked the ref if he could use submissions. He was told he could, because the ref didn't really know anything either. And then Puder actually got Kurt in a shoot submission. They called a pin to protect Kurt and then buried Puder and later screwed him out of the money he was supposed to win in the overall competition.

It was all stupid bully bullshit that never should have happened. A real black eye for Kurt Angle. Not so much that he almost got tapped, but that he agreed to do it at all.

But we could have potentially seen Shamrock/Butterbean...

It would have been glorious.

I think 1998 Ken would beat Butterbean in an MMA rules match. A tough man boxing match? Not a chance. Poor Bart Gunn!

Did you mean to quote my other post about the Angle Puder thing?

No. I watched some of that Cactus Jack match with the barbed wire and nails, and listened to the commentary for a few minutes.

But the Angle thing is pathetic, too. He seemed pissed that Puder went for the sub and cranked it. Had that match gone on another few seconds, it's possible Angle would have ended up with a popped shoulder.

I'm sure a good amount of you have heard this story and prolly read it on this forum before but fuck it.

In short: Severn was with the WWF and transitioned over to being a pro wrestler. After being a no-nonsense type of babyface the company wanted to turn him into some type of Satanist heel. That included having "666" written on his forehead. Before they even finished pitching that idea to Mr. Severn, he told them it aint happening. Reason being Severn is from a small town in the US and doesn't want any repercussions against his family, businesses or himself. This was in the 90s and in terms of pro wrestling, the lines between fiction and reality were rather blurry.

Of course, the WWF then threatened with having Severn lose matches and job to nobodies. Dan Severns response? - "Where does it say on my contract I have to lose to anybody? What if I walk into your world of fantasy and turn fantasy into reality? Which one of your so-called stars [...] am I going to make look pretty darn silly out there?"

With the Royal Rumble coming up ('99) Severn legitimately thought about not exiting the ring like he is supposed to but actually beating up every dude who comes into that ring every 90 seconds live on PPV. Even though the WWF might get him out with a huge number of guys, the damage would've been done and he pretty much ruined the way they do business. Severn could've pitched that idea to rival company WCW and gotten a handsome payment for his troubles. There was no need for that though since Severn and the WWF worked things out and released him (on his own request) with a pretty fat check as it seems.

Say what you want about how he wanted to do things but goddamn thats some real badassery right there. According to his Wikipedia page, the guys in the locker-room were legitimately scared of Severn and referred to him as "Mr.Severn" and tried to avoid him.

That's fucking amazing hahahah

No. I watched some of that Cactus Jack match with the barbed wire and nails, and listened to the commentary for a few minutes.

But the Angle thing is pathetic, too. He seemed pissed that Puder went for the sub and cranked it. Had that match gone on another few seconds, it's possible Angle would have ended up with a popped shoulder.

Yep, and really sour grapes for Angle to act all surprised that Puder went for a submission when Angle himself did several things to Nawrocki are also illegal in amateur wrestling, and like I said, hurt the guy. I'm a big fan of Kurt Angle's wrestling, but he looks like a real shit here.

The other video was Strangle-Mania, ICP doing funny commentary over 90s Japanese death match wrestling. Not to everyone's taste, but a lot of people definitely were into it.

To get this back on the subject of Dan Severn, and because I want to say something more complimentary about him, I remember another interview Dan did where he talked about his trying to get into the UFC and them turning him down. They were pretty dismissive of wrestling as a fighting style, which really seems stupid in hindsight, and asked Dan if he had been in many actual fist fights, and he laughed and said, "No, I was raised a little bit better than that."

I always thought that was really funny and classy, and of course, Dan was right about the effectiveness of his wrestling in a fight.

Pretty much...

When Puder almost took out Angle’s shoulder, they actually punished him at the Royal Rumble in 2004 or 2005...

He came in as the 3rd entrant with Benoit and Eddie already in the ring and they were giving him some very stiff chops...

Hardcore Holly was the 4th entrant and he got some stiff shots in there as well...
Of course they're going to protect the business. I don't care which MMA fighter entered pro-wrestling. You aren't going to win a real fight 1 v 30+ 6'0-7'0, 220-500LB men. You just aren't.

Pretty much...

I got curious and did some googling...they fucked him up wow. His chest, back, and head had to be feeling it the next day.

What a fucking gangster.

I would have loved to see him smash the dragline minds of WWE fans by fucking up their man-opera fantasy.

I got curious and did some googling...they fucked him up wow. His chest, back, and head had to be feeling it the next day.

Yup...

I would have loved to have seen Puder’s face when he’d be discussing it in the back...

“So you’re going to come in and get beat up by Guerrero and Benoit for a whole minute. Then when Holly comes out you’re going to be beaten up by him for another minute. Then you are going to get thrown out. You are not allowed to get any offense in during those whole two minutes. Do you think you can do that?”

What a fucking gangster.

I would have loved to see him smash the dragline minds of WWE fans by fucking up their man-opera fantasy.

Dude. He's not a gangster for this. He's talking about attacking untrained guys, most of whom he admits had a friendly, respectful relationship with him, while they would have been attempting to co-operate with him and not defending themselves.

He's a gangster because he beat tough guys who actually knew they were in a fight. For this, had he done it, he would've been a jerk who was upset that he didn't do well in the WWE. Which is a legit gripe, but not at all the fault of his co-workers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back