Remember When Woodley Used to be a Player?

So he's supposed to be his own promoter? He's supposed to not try to get money fights during this window of time he's earned and defended?

The only people who hear him downplay his opponents are us, reddit, underground, etc. The casuals likely never hear it. So it likely wouldn't affect views. You have a logical point but I'm not sure it applies to anyone but hardcore fans, who will watch anyways

No, I don't think he needs to be his own promoter. But like others have said in here, I think he needs to take the GSP route when it comes to promotion. Talk your opponents up, not down.

I have no problem with him angling for money fights, this is prize fighting after all. I just find it frustrating watching him constantly shoot himself in the foot by completely downplaying potential opponents. It kills hype, it doesn't build it.

IMO, he should be angling for big fights, but not trying to shut down other potential opponents. Because what happens if you don't get the big fight? Now you go back to your #1 contender that you've spent months shitting on in public.

And I'd argue it's more for the casuals benefit. For one thing, Woodley is always on TMZ and Fox, so he has the platform to reach that audience. Plus the UFC can only use the sound clips they have. If you are publicly talking up your opponents, it'll end up in the UFC pre fight hype, which reaches the casual audience. Again, GSP was the master at this.

No, I don't think he needs to be his own promoter. But like others have said in here, I think he needs to take the GSP route when it comes to promotion. Talk your opponents up, not down.

I have no problem with him angling for money fights, this is prize fighting after all. I just find it frustrating watching him constantly shoot himself in the foot by completely downplaying potential opponents. It kills hype, it doesn't build it.

IMO, he should be angling for big fights, but not trying to shut down other potential opponents. Because what happens if you don't get the big fight? Now you go back to your #1 contender that you've spent months shitting on in public.

And I'd argue it's more for the casuals benefit. For one thing, Woodley is always on TMZ and Fox, so he has the platform to reach that audience. Plus the UFC can only use the sound clips they have. If you are publicly talking up your opponents, it'll end up in the UFC pre fight hype, which reaches the casual audience. Again, GSP was the master at this.

does he downplay his opponents on tmz and fox or only in interviews when asked? I'm genuinely asking.. You definitely have a valid point in that "talking up your opponent" can't hurt sales. I just don't think the casuals really hear that stuff, and its the casuals who make a ppv a blockbuster or not. So, while valid, I think it's somewhat moot.

The interim ww title should actually work out well for him. The unification bout might sell better. Tyron's a smart man. Even when though he has always defended against the number one condendor, he has often gotten onto big cards like (200, I think maybe, or 205? he gets himself onto big cards and gets those ppv points, thats's the pints). Good for him!

Back