Rickson Gracie: Modern BJJ Black Belts Remind Me of Karate Practitioners Clueless of Jiu-Jitsu

You have never trained anything in your life, pretentious troll. Your opinion is totally irrelevant and you literally make no sense.
?

i've boxed for over a decade

bjj on and off for a many years as well

what am i trolling about ? calling people in this thread out for ignorant comments? Yall are the ones trolling

Talk more shit about rickson, your fat ass has never set foot on the mats in your life

Last edited:
Real fighting involves weapons, and has done so for at least 200,000 years. Humans are pathetic fighters unarmed, we'd still be bear and lion kibble if it weren't for weapons.

Humans fighting unarmed, and worse, one-on-one, is a sport. Ask a cop, or just look at crime stats (locally 90% of real fights involve weapons or numbers, and usually both, according to the stats). Anyone who's training you train for real fights with more than 25% of the time spent on unarmed (you need a bit to buy time to get to your weapon if you're not situationally aware) is selling you something.

Your average fit male with a 6" knife (let alone a gun) is beating 95% of GJJ or BJJ or MMA fighters 95% of the time. If you're not training for those circumstances you're just training for a different kind of sport combat.

The false sense of confidence unarmed fighters of all styles have wrt weapons is as silly as the false sense of confidence TMA folks had about interstyle unarmed fights, and is based on the same thing - not testing against the real thing. If you think BJJ or MMA or any unarmed style is good for real fights, try this at your club. Give a fit beginner a red marker to use as a 'knife', and then fight. Then count the red marks on your body. The chances are very high you 'died' in that combat.
most fights are more like two stags fighting for dominance than a lion after a wilder beast. so in that context you are right about the sport thing. what your talking about is stabbing people. your basically saying don't bother with martial arts, just carry a knife or gun and stab the fuck out of the first person that tries to attack you. that would land you a jail really fast. it also tells me you have very limited "real" fighting experience. or are you saying krav maga is the go. because i can a guarantee i could beat the crap out of a lot of those clowns just using bit of basic wresting and boxing.

?

i've boxed for over a decade

bjj on and off for a many years as well

what am i trolling about ?

Talk more shit about rickson, your fat ass has never set foot on the mats in your life

Yeah, you boxed and bjjed. Yeah right.

Dude, please stop living in an imaginary world. You're nobody and has done anything.
Other posters here apply their brains and analysis of a situation. You just bash others and pretend to be someone with fighting experience. Give me a break, couch potato.

sounds like you need to learn to read

i read it just fine and. started in Gjj. the branch is strong on selling its own variant of Kool-Aid to its students and it's instructors wish to believe their art is complete and there is no need for anything else

and of course RIckson sees flaws in modern bjj that his own family system solves surprise surprise

Sakuraba stretches that fight out. I was rooting for Royce and always will root for Royce.

Royce wasn’t afraid to lose. He was willing to prove he’s the best. Rickson never did that.
Most of the other Gracie’s at that time tested themselves. Rickson never did.

He just talked.

Also, keep in mind that when all these opportunities came about, dude was already 40 years old.

Also, keep in mind that when all these opportunities came about, dude was already 40 years old.
Bas and Marco Ruas were constantly challenging Rickson in the mid-90's [Ruas since the early 90's] when Rickson was in his absolute prime.

Yeah, you boxed and bjjed. Yeah right.

Dude, please stop living in an imaginary world. You're nobody and has done anything.
Other posters here apply their brains and analysis of a situation. You just bash others and pretend to be someone with fighting experience. Give me a break, couch potato.
what analysis are you talking about ?

your troll comment ? You actually think most of the keyboard warriors in this thread are "usng their brains"? I "bash" others when they don't know shit

Rickson is right and most people are missing the point and taking him out of context, using it as an excuse to attack the gracies

Rickson isn't even like the other gracies.. he is the least dogmatic/ most open minded. Kron even more so

You say this shit to everyone. Project more you fat fuck. You're wrong here, move along

No hes not

hes sour that others took BJJ and evolved it by incorporating other grappling arts and methods that have filled in some of the glaring gaps in GJJ.
sport jits is a straight joke these days, half the moves would get your face smashed in. gracies guard even worked against head butts. over hook under hook and palm on forehead.

i read it just fine and. started in Gjj. the branch is strong on selling its own variant of Kool-Aid to its students and it's instructors wish to believe their art is complete and there is no need for anything else

and of course RIckson sees flaws in modern bjj that his own family system solves surprise surprise
Rickson is not like the rest of the gracies

Also you did not read it fine at all as you completely missed the point

that is not what he said

BJJ is dead in mma imo.. i mean not dead but its not the dominate force it use to be.. only very few BBJ guys dominate and sub the majority of their opponents. its now mostly just used defensively and for positioning. MMA is kinda at the point that if you don thave your basic BBJ.. you'll get destroyed.. but if you have it you're good.
wrestling has remained more important.. the ability to keep yourself standing.. take the fight down if you choose and get yourself on your feet if a BJJ or another wrestler takes you down is like mastering your jab in mma.

Let me know when they avenge their 0-4 vs Saku

Til then, BJJ is a must-have in MMA, but you need more than just BJJ.

kind of amazing how many people here took this completely out of context
should have posted it in the bjj forum they would have gone berserk. they love the new age bullshit pyjama wrestling. basics win fights, rickson understands this. berimbolos and gogopologies are a load of bullshit in real fights.

Rickson's still delusional thinking that BJJ is the be-all-end-all martial art. Why did you avoid Marco Ruas and Bas like the plague, Rickson?

(I would also bring up Saku but Rickson's son died at that time so he gets a pass on that one)

Rickson would have folded up Saku at any point.

kind of amazing how many people here took this completely out of context

I watched the entire attached video (which I'm assuming others on here did also) before posting and it's "typical Rickson" .... "If you show me the toughest guy in MMA, I'd STILL have to teach him self defense". I can't speak for everyone else but my comments are pertaining to the whole video, not just that one quote taken from the video.

ive heard guys at rickson seminars learn a fine detail they never knew from him that makes a common move like an rnc 200% more effective

It's a little sad to see rickson being disrespected like this. You might disagree with what he's saying but he's earned more respect in this sport. It's pretty much consensus that he was the best BJJ practitioner of his time and one of the greatest ever.

Does sherdog just love to shit on legends? You rarely see this in other sports (except for cheaters)
If you had any MMA favorites back in the day like Fedor, Nog, Wand, etc Rickson has shit all over them and their careers.
Guy is a prick.

Bas and Marco Ruas were constantly challenging Rickson in the mid-90's [Ruas since the early 90's] when Rickson was in his absolute prime.

Bas definitely called Rickson out when he was 40. I don’t recall a time before that.

Back