News RIP Anthony “Rumble” Johnson (Confirmed / Updated)

You want to know who Anthony was?

Anthony ran a pitbull rescue for a bit. Made sure they got proper homes. He also had ones for pit pups.

He’d have up and coming/ammy fighters who came to train at the Blackzilians stay at his place and the branch out when BZ folded. Never charged a dime. Got offended when people asked to. Paid for more than a few fighters to have medicals.

Donated to Toys for Tots yearly. Not a few things either. When they wanted to do media coverage, he told them that if they did, he’d deny it all and to please not. He wasn’t doing it for that.

When Glenn Robinson died, it was Rumble who went to Glenn’s kids and said anything you need.

When I almost died in 2016, he flew to Arizona. I was in the hospital for 13 days through Christmas and New Year. He stayed for the entire fucking time. Made sure my son and daughter were ok, and I was. He and his girl cooked Christmas dinner for my wife and kids brought some over for me and sat in the waiting room through two surgeries. Gave my kids some gifts they cherish forever. I got a pair of gloves from one of his fights as a gift. They hold more meaning tonight.

His second fight for Titan, he got paid good money. Comparable to what he was making in the UFC. My son was due a week later. He told them send his entire fight and win purse to us for my son to get shit we need. I told him he was nuts and to keep it.

THAT’S the Anthony I want you all to remember. Not the last year of his life and “how.” Or why he didn’t reveal and update. He didn’t want to upset everyone.

Coming at people who show genuine concern or empathy is not appropriate when they are trying to help. It sucks Rumble died, and I respect his choice to keep things under wraps. Many people probably didn’t even know anything was wrong and this blindsides them. They want to know because this guy was a big part of their lives. Even if it wasn’t as a family member. They’d take time out of their days for him specifically.

Read some of the other stuff I posted. It should give a little more insight why.

Anthony ran a pitbull rescue for a bit. Made sure they got proper homes. He also had ones for pit pups.

He’d have up and coming/ammy fighters who came to train at the Blackzilians stay at his place and the branch out when BZ folded. Never charged a dime. Got offended when people asked to. Paid for more than a few fighters to have medicals.

Donated to Toys for Tots yearly. Not a few things either. When they wanted to do media coverage, he told them that if they did, he’d deny it all and to please not. He wasn’t doing it for that.

When Glenn Robinson died, it was Rumble who went to Glenn’s kids and said anything you need.

When I almost died in 2016, he flew to Arizona. I was in the hospital for 13 days through Christmas and New Year. He stayed for the entire fucking time. Made sure my son and daughter were ok, and I was. He and his girl cooked Christmas dinner for my wife and kids brought some over for me and sat in the waiting room through two surgeries. Gave my kids some gifts they cherish forever. I got a pair of gloves from one of his fights as a gift. They hold more meaning tonight.

His second fight for Titan, he got paid good money. Comparable to what he was making in the UFC. My son was due a week later. He told them send his entire fight and win purse to us for my son to get shit we need. I told him he was nuts and to keep it.

THAT’S the Anthony I want you all to remember. Not the last year of his life and “how.” Or why he didn’t reveal and update. He didn’t want to upset everyone.

I appreciate you sharing. Anthony was definitely one of my favorites of all time not only for his work in the ring, but when he got cut and worked his way back, he showed resilience. He seemed like such a genuine, hard working guy, and I always appreciated that. As a fan, I am saddened by his passing. As someone who was actually close to him, I can only imagine. Take care, and don't let people on here rile you up.

RIP. :(

A big thank you for all the years of entertainment Rumble. Never missed a fight of yours.

I appreciate you sharing. Anthony was definitely one of my favorites of all time not only for his work in the ring, but when he got cut and worked his way back, he showed resilience. He seemed like such a genuine, hard working guy, and I always appreciated that. As a fan, I am saddened by his passing. As someone who was actually close to him, I can only imagine. Take care, and don't let people on here rile you up.

Thanks, DeeDub. Really kind reply of you. Is truly appreciated. I can tell you, as good a fighter in the cage as he was, he was better outside of it. He made his share of mistakes, was no saint at times (who is) but always took accountability for when he made his screwups and worked to fix them. When he had those weight misses earlier in his career, a lot of it was listening to the wrong people, being too loyal for his own good to some that didn’t necessarily have his best in mind. The move to Florida was the best thing that ever happened for him. Honestly, even though it was a mess, so was the Vitor fiasco. He told me and others that he grew up more after that experience than any other fight in his career. Knew he had to quit trying to do this to himself and quit trying to push his body to weights it’s not supposed to be at.

That's pretty shocking, dude was a one of a kind wrecking machine. RIP Rumble.

Rest In Peace to Johnson and my condolences to his family. I can't believe this happened, so out of nowhere. This is really sad

Oh no, this is very sad.
RIP Rumble.
condolences-candle.gif

Beautiful

Takes a humble and strong man to go through all that without drawing attention to himself and the shit hand he got dealt with.

My strongest memory of Rumble was from UFC on Fox 14 in Stockholm.

Was in a really shitty place at the time but had great tickets for the fight, looking forward to seeing Gus slaughter Rumble in front of the home crowd, so I was optimistic. And well, things didn't really turn out as expected. Every swede on the card got beaten badly and Rumble put the icing on the cake by crushing all our dreams. After that, the hope was that Rumble would at least go on and take the title, just to make it feel a little bit better. Too bad, it never happened.

Didn't know until right now that he was ill and these news came as somewhat of a shock. RIP Rumble, the bane of Swedish dreams. All is forgiven.

Back