Rippetoe gives his thoughts on Cain and Junior's S&C and his thoughts on S&C for MMA

Ahhh gotta love Eric brown....

He talks down to everybody, people call him in it, he gets pissed.

I put about as much stake in Erics info as I do in ripitos opinion of cains training. I think I'll add him to my ignore list.

CSA isn't the be-all and end-all of strength development. It's a factor, but a single element within a larger construct including motor unit recruitment, motor unit firing rates and rate of force development.

Interference is really just a one way street, largely specific to power with a smaller interference to strength (when compared to strength training alone). Endurance training has the capacity to interfere with strength training, but in reverse, the effects are negligible.

Here's a meta analysis looking at concurrent training and interference.
http://www.elementssystem.com/pdfs/Wilson ConcurrentTraining MetaAnalysis JSCR 2012.pdf
Another important finding of our study was that concurrent training relative to endurance only training resulted in no decrements in VO2max, indicating that aerobic capacity is not inhibited when concurrent training relative to endurance training alone. Although our subjects were primarily recreationally and strength trained, Aagaard and Andersen (1) recently provided strong evidence in elite endurance athletes that strength training can lead to enhanced long-term (>30 minutes) and short-term (<15 minutes) endurance capacity. These researchers concluded that strength training may augment endurance performance by increases in the proportion of type 2A muscle fibers and gains in maximal muscle strength and rate of force development, while likely involving enhancements in neuromuscular function.

This is the study that examined elite endurance athletes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840561

Honestly though. Of course Cain can fucking get stronger without sacrificing his cardio. He could just take whatever time he currently spends doing stupid shit (like leg extensions) and do the big three instead. Considering he doesn't do proper barbell lifts on a regular basis, he has a wealth of untapped noob gains in him. Not to mention he's almost certainly on gear, like every UFC fighter ever.

Honestly though. Of course Cain can fucking get stronger without sacrificing his cardio. He could just take whatever time he currently spends doing stupid shit (like leg extensions) and do the big three instead. Considering he doesn't do proper barbell lifts on a regular basis, he has a wealth of untapped noob gains in him. Not to mention he's almost certainly on gear, like every UFC fighter ever.

He is an all american wrestler, he has most likely done a shit ton of strength training in college.
Just look at his legs! They are huge...
Also the way he keeps perfect posture while slamming huge men like big ben or Jds.
If he didnt have extreme core strength he would buckle when trying that,perfect technique or not.
Cain is most likely very strong already, he still might do stupid shit like this for some weird reason.

He is an all american wrestler, he has most likely done a shit ton of strength training in college.
Also the way he keeps perfect posture while slamming huge men like big ben or Jds.
If he didnt have extreme core strength he would buckle when trying that,perfect technique or not.
Cain is most likely very strong already, he still might do stupid shit like this for some weird reason.

Exactly,

Theres a good chance that that was just shot for the camera to look cool to people who have no idea when in fact his strength program is very much based around heavy squats, deads, presses.

In fact, I tend to believe that 90% of what we see on TUF or road to the octagon or whatever is filmed just or the TV audience and does not reflect the realt training. FOr people to pretend to know that this exercise caused injury is stupid, to think that he dosent have a fairly standard strength routine is even more stupid and to think that he dosent have huge strength already with years and years of squats and deadlifts behind him is beyond stupid.

Sucks that he got hurt, he is one of my favorite fighters to watch and I was looking forward to seeing him fight. Oh well.

Disagree. He is a big, strong person, but it's totally possible to do what he does just by training wrestling and maybe some random strength stuff like dumbbells and machines, without ever doing heavy barbell squats or deads. You underestimate the role of technique in his performance.

You also underestimate the amount of strength that comes naturally with being 240+ lbs and an athlete.

Do you think Japanese sumo wrestlers must do barbell squats because omg their legs are huge?

Last edited:
Disagree. He is a big, strong person, but it's totally possible to do what he does just by training wrestling and maybe some random strength stuff like dumbbells and machines, without ever doing heavy barbell squats or deads. You underestimate the role of technique in his performance.

You also underestimate the amount of strength that comes naturally with being 240+ lbs and an athlete.

Do you think Japanese sumo wrestlers must do barbell squats because omg their legs are huge?

The most stupid post I have ever read on sd, right here ^^^^

LOL. Elite athletes training by doing random machine stuff, and knowing less about strength training that a sherdogger. What the hell?!

He wrestled at Arizona State btw. Feel free to research their training facilities and programs and strenght coaches, maybe then you'll realize how far off base you are.

Some random forum poster bashed the 2 best fighters in the world.

His "theories" must be true

Well, as someone who has Soviet athletes in his family - I was always told kettle bells first, barbell second.

You also think Eric Brown's advice and experience is worthless, so you're pretty much a lost cause.

I don't think Eric towns advice is useless. I just do t care for him as a person.

And if you think Cain dosent do standard barbell stuff as part of his training YOU are a list cause.

The best strength athletes in the world manage this every year (to a point, of course, eventually it comes to an end) so people with far less strength can get stronger much easier, as they are less close to their genetic limit.

As I understand it, this is partly because non-strength athletes don't have the time or energy to maximize strength development. They are likely to have 2-4 fairly short strength sessions a week, and so their strength development is likely to be rather "slow burn". They won't be constantly hitting plateaus or worrying to get around weak spots and other things that happen when you focus more on strength.

and knowing less about strength training that a sherdogger.

There are professional S&C coaches and elite strength athletes on this board. It's not that implausible that some people here might know more than some elite athletes.

Lol at ironwolf. Some weakass f a g who call out Eric for bro science.
Eric has probably produced those high level athletes that bullied you in highschool and stole your prom dates

Lol at ironwolf. Some weakass f a g who call out Eric for bro science.
Eric has probably produced those high level athletes that bullied you in highschool and stole your prom dates

What ironwolf said about Eric is nothing that Eric hasn't said about himself. Eric is knowledgeable in the field and he readily admits to having a less than pleasant disposition.

Back