Rose KO over Zhang is highly overated

I don't understand this ending part. How will seeing less of the actual fighters' abilities display more difference in technique? Do you think that Matt Serra was just that much better than GSP that he was able to KO him in 3 minutes, but then get somehow dominated horribly in the rematch? Surely luck had in part to do with it.

What i am saying is the degree of tecnique displayed in the KO instant should be on a higher level than throughout a 5 round fight because te KO is the perfect execution of the correct technique with the perfect level of power to achieve the optimal result which is the instant incapacitating of the opponent. Whereas a 5 round fight means that every technique attempted was not perfect in that it only partially landed or that it was completely evaded or blocked or parried or foiled.

She confused Weili badly. At the time and even after the fight didn't know what was going on. The misdirection makes it awesome. Weili thought it was just another low kick.

The in and out movement, go low before it, feint, look like you're too close to land high, yet have the dexterity to land in a upward arc from so close.

Clean, didn't see it coming, not much power needed. Just placement. I think KO of the year.

I agree. All that movement prior to the ko was just getting a feel of zhang's reactions to her looks to set up that ko. Zhang was reactive all the way and it was namajunas being the one to interrogate her defences.

My only disagreement with you id on the level of power. Yes it as well placed on the perfect point where a ko is available but it was plenty powerful for a tkd turning kick.

5 pages and no gif Sherdog, I am disappoint.
MammothPastHoiho-size_restricted.gif

Very nice gif. Only wish it could have shown namajunas' feet placement just before the ko.

Also the gif shows that zhag never saw the kick coming until the very last micro second just before it landed when she flinched - then lights out...

I agree. All that movement prior to the ko was just getting a feel of zhang's reactions to her looks to set up that ko. Zhang was reactive all the way and it was namajunas being the one to interrogate her defences.

My only disagreement with you id on the level of power. Yes it as well placed on the perfect point where a ko is available but it was plenty powerful for a tkd turning kick.

Well the front leg and with no wind up doesn't generate a lot of pop. It's rare anyone gets a KO like that. And it was from close range, so not much extension available. Rose said post-fight she's been working on leg dexterity and that she was drilling the kick in camp, so I think the set-up and placement were more key than generated power.

Well the front leg and with no wind up doesn't generate a lot of pop. It's rare anyone gets a KO like that. And it was from close range, so not much extension available. Rose said post-fight she's been working on leg dexterity and that she was drilling the kick in camp, so I think the set-up and placement were more key than generated power.

The tkd lead leg turning kick doesn't have wind up. Leg dexterity is the key as the kick whiplashes wth the instep and is dependent on incredible speed - it pops like a jab except that it comes from the whiplashing of the entire leg and so it has ko power.

Check out this video on the technique:-

Namajunas also added to the power wirh the momentum of the sliding footwork just before she kicked.

Reactions: MCS
Her precision was definitely precise. I just wish she had gotten in closer to use her reach advantage. Still a good win.

i don't understand- if she has reach advantage why does she need to get in closer to use it?

i wouldn't call it lucky but it is pretty overrated, wasn't a crazy KO or anything kinda weak imo.

don't piss off the Rose simps. they gonna be passive aggressive with their moms when she brings their dinner down to the basement

i wouldn't call it lucky but it is pretty overrated, wasn't a crazy KO or anything kinda weak imo.
What constitutes a crazy ko to you ? Getting kicked flush on the jaw with a lead leg turning kick delivered eith good technique by a black belt tkd of the same size as one self is enough to knock out most people...

Whats the point of this pic? She has a boy scout haircut and constantly mean mugs for years now.

Agreed. WIth her "mental trauma" continuing to grow, along with not seeking any professional help, and increasing reliance on pat, I don't see her ever going back to to long hair. Shes pretty much set.

000ALBCWY03I9S7O-C122.jpg

A mix for me, well set up fake but Zhang was I think found out technically in how much she bought the fake and indeed how she responded pushing her head out like that.

Like a lucky punch basicaly

- She throwed a random high kick like you saw ten times per event

- Zhang expected a low-middle kick so tried to avoid that by moving away her legs and waist/body, putting her head in front

- So its more Zhang fault for misreading the shot than Rose credit for throwing a wonderful shoot out of nowhere impossible to avoid, the kick was not even fast or powerfull, just correctly executed, Zhang just give her head, made a huge mistake

Usman and Jiri KO are way more impressive

Discuss
Almoat every knockout is overrated. Someone throws a random strike we see ten times per event. The opponent either doesn't see it or misreads it. Not impressive

What i am saying is the degree of tecnique displayed in the KO instant should be on a higher level than throughout a 5 round fight because te KO is the perfect execution of the correct technique with the perfect level of power to achieve the optimal result which is the instant incapacitating of the opponent. Whereas a 5 round fight means that every technique attempted was not perfect in that it only partially landed or that it was completely evaded or blocked or parried or foiled.

Again, I don't understand this logic.

So you think that fighters like Holloway and Khabib aren't very impressive skillwise because they don't get first round KOs or submissions? You're more impressed by fighters like Ngannou who swang and bang their way into quick KOs?

Insta-KOs generally require *less skill* and more pure athleticism. 5 round domination requires cardio, fight IQ, mental power, technique, and everything else.

Again, I don't understand this logic.

So you think that fighters like Holloway and Khabib aren't very impressive skillwise because they don't get first round KOs or submissions? You're more impressed by fighters like Ngannou who swang and bang their way into quick KOs?

Insta-KOs generally require *less skill* and more pure athleticism. 5 round domination requires cardio, fight IQ, mental power, technique, and everything else.

I think khabib is probably peerless in his mma wrestling skill wise. But what I was suggesting was with reference to the performance of a particular fighter- eg the degree of skill shown by a fighter over the course of a 5 round decision victory and that shown by the same fighter when he successfully executes a KO. He was aiming to take out his opponent either through a KO or a submjsion throughout the fight but failed because of imperfect application of technique or the other side showing sufficient technique in evading or countering his attempt. Do you see that when he succeeds in applying his technique perfectly to the opportunity that fleetingly opens up to KO his opponent - the degree of skill shown by him in doing so is perfect and complete because it achieves the purpose?

It is not correct to compare the 5 round decision victory of a fighter with the KO in the first round of a different fighter altogether because I was comparing like with like- the production by the same fighter throughout a given fight.

Also Ngannou does not typically "swing and bang his way to quick KO". Yes he did that for the rozenstruik fight but usually he times his opponent with a counter punch while his opponent is trying to hit him through his excellent boxing punch technique and a superior sense of timing. Ngannou doesnt just have unparalleled power- he also has very good basic boxing punching technique and one of the best countering and timing abilities in the ufc without which he would be unable to KO almost all his opponents so quickly.

Crap thread. Its not lucky if its intentioanlly thrown with the purpose to knock her out with a head kicked. Zhang expect a low or middle kick, as you said. I wonder why, maybe some previous feints to have her react that way. Use your brain.

Like a lucky punch basicaly

- She throwed a random high kick like you saw ten times per event

- Zhang expected a low-middle kick so tried to avoid that by moving away her legs and waist/body, putting her head in front

- So its more Zhang fault for misreading the shot than Rose credit for throwing a wonderful shoot out of nowhere impossible to avoid, the kick was not even fast or powerfull, just correctly executed, Zhang just give her head, made a huge mistake

Usman and Jiri KO are way more impressive

Discuss
There are easier ways of saying "I have no idea what I'm watching", and that's ok.

Back