Rugby World Cup France 2023

Kane (the captain) is off for NZ! :eek:

NZ 3 - 12 SA

Springboks taking over! :cool:

Awful game. SA attrition winning out, quite easily as well.

Can’t see a way back for NZ now. Whole red card thing needs re-addressing.

Underwhelming tournament, truth be told.

Quarters were fun, I guess.

Awful game. SA attrition winning out, quite easily as well.

Can’t see a way back for NZ now. Whole red card thing needs re-addressing.

Underwhelming tournament, truth be told.

Quarters were fun, I guess.

I doubt NZ can come back but they're still alive out there. The rules get stricter and stricter every year and I'm not in favour. I'm enjoying the game though!

These yellow/red card decisions are becoming a bit farcical, tbh.

Should be a good finish. Didn't think NZ would still be in it.

Second Rugby League test: England 14 - 4 Tonga (England lead 2 - 0)

Day 51 Roundup:

skynews-south-africa-rugby-world-cup_6339938.jpg

Result:

New Zealand 11 - 12 South Africa

South Africa win for the second time running! See you all in Australia in four years' time!

SA won all 3 KO games by 1 point.

Mental.

That one hurt. To play with 14 players for 50 odd minutes and to keep it close.

Don't know how to say it without it sounding like sour grapes but I don't feel the All Blacks got their share of 50/50 calls and arguably got lost out on the big calls. The yellow to Frizell felt a bit sketchy. That type of ruling is in response to Darcy Swain trying to end Quinn Tupaea's career. Kolisi not getting upgraded to a red was huge. I just want to know what the mitigation was....

Fair play South Africa. They took their chances. They had the All Blacks backs to the wall for pretty much the wholee first half. du Toit fair enough man of the match, made some huge tackles. South Africa's kicking game for the first 50 or so minutes was also so so accurate. Every bomb was contestable.

Don't know how to say it without it sounding like sour grapes but I don't feel the All Blacks got their share of 50/50 calls and arguably got lost out on the big calls. The yellow to Frizell felt a bit sketchy. That type of ruling is in response to Darcy Swain trying to end Quinn Tupaea's career. Kolisi not getting upgraded to a red was huge. I just want to know what the mitigation was....

Fair play South Africa. They took their chances. They had the All Blacks backs to the wall for pretty much the wholee first half. du Toit fair enough man of the match, made some huge tackles. South Africa's kicking game for the first 50 or so minutes was also so so accurate. Every bomb was contestable.

No exactly what you mean.

Honestly think France and Ireland had the edge over both NZ and SA this time.

Just the Southern Hemisphere teams have that winning mentality.

Such fine margins this year.

No exactly what you mean.

Honestly think France and Ireland had the edge over both NZ and SA this time.

Just the Southern Hemisphere teams have that winning mentality.

Such fine margins this year.

Ireland has had recent success over the All Blacks but I feel the mental scars are still there.

The card situation actually reminded me of the card situation from last year when Ireland beat the All Blacks in a series. There was a similar call.

These yellow/red card decisions are becoming a bit farcical, tbh.
It hasn't changed for a couple years now to be fair. A little pressure taken off the official with the off friend review of yellow vs red. For the most part teams have prepared accordingly.

The ref explained the mitigation at the time for Kolisi. He had lowered. He made contact with the shoulder to the body, and the the head on head contact was secondary and glancing.

Cane did not lower at all, and planted his shoulder on Kriel's head. Even if Kriel was standing perfectly upright that shoulder would have been somewhere above the collarbone.

Honestly I was hoping for a yellow for Cane to avoid the controversy and not have that be the deciding factor, and I think yellow was a fair call for Kolisi's, but there is a stronger case for Kolisi's to be a penalty only Cane's remaining a yellow.

In the case of Frizell, he ended up on top of Bongi's ligament because he was attempting a neck roll clear out and slipped off. If he had just made a clean tackle or cleanout and ended up in that position I don't think there would have been any scrutiny. I don't think there was malice just sloppy technique but totally fair yellow.

A few calls could have gone their way, but they made their bed with decision-making and leaving points on the field — they didn't take a few kicks and two? they did take they missed, and the Boks just had their number defensively against the running rugby in the rain.

the Boks took strategic risks like the 7-1 split and they paid off. Could have gone much differently, fair to say 'luck' was involved.

It hasn't changed for a couple years now to be fair. A little pressure taken off the official with the off friend review of yellow vs red. For the most part teams have prepared accordingly.

Fine line between protecting the players and going too soft, I guess. And slow motion replays always make things look worse.

Bottom line is when you have 30 athletic giants running full pelt at each other for 2 hours, high impact, dangerous collisions are inevitable.

The ref explained the mitigation at the time for Kolisi. He had lowered. He made contact with the shoulder to the body, and the the head on head contact was secondary and glancing.

Cane did not lower at all, and planted his shoulder on Kriel's head. Even if Kriel was standing perfectly upright that shoulder would have been somewhere above the collarbone.

Honestly I was hoping for a yellow for Cane to avoid the controversy and not have that be the deciding factor, and I think yellow was a fair call for Kolisi's, but there is a stronger case for Kolisi's to be a penalty only Cane's remaining a yellow.

In the case of Frizell, he ended up on top of Bongi's ligament because he was attempting a neck roll clear out and slipped off. If he had just made a clean tackle or cleanout and ended up in that position I don't think there would have been any scrutiny. I don't think there was malice just sloppy technique but totally fair yellow.

A few calls could have gone their way, but they made their bed with decision-making and leaving points on the field — they didn't take a few kicks and two? they did take they missed, and the Boks just had their number defensively against the running rugby in the rain.

the Boks took strategic risks like the 7-1 split and they paid off. Could have gone much differently, fair to say 'luck' was involved.

I didn't hear it live and there's no way in hell I'm ever watching a replay of this game, ever.

Springboks more disciplined and gave away penalties in spots that weren't high scoring areas.

I didn't think the conditions were conducive with taking a shot from 51m out. Given the shape of our set piece at the time, I thought drilling it into the 22 might've been the better option at the time but I can totally understand trying to take your chance when you could.

Only one SA player made the statistical team of the tournament.

Quite telling really. Collective over the individual.

_131570842_microsoftteams-image-7.png

Third Rugby League test: England 26 - 4 Tonga

22nd October: England 22 - 18 Tonga
28th October: England 14 - 4 Tonga
4th November: England 26 - 4 Tonga

England win the tour 3 - 0! :cool:

The next Rugby League World Cup was first awarded to the USA and Canada, then moved to France, who pulled out, and has now been pushed back a year. It is set for 2026 in the Southern Hemisphere, with the number of teams reduced from 16 to ten.

Third Rugby League test: England 26 - 4 Tonga

22nd October: England 22 - 18 Tonga
28th October: England 14 - 4 Tonga
4th November: England 26 - 4 Tonga

England win the tour 3 - 0! :cool:

The next Rugby League World Cup was first awarded to the USA and Canada, then moved to France, who pulled out, and has now been pushed back a year. It is set for 2026 in the Southern Hemisphere, with the number of teams reduced from 16 to ten.

... And the number of people that care about it continues to tend to zero. The issue with the RLWC is that given Australia's dominance, the question is whether or not they'll win by 50 all the way through. You can't handicap them but until it gets more competitive, it's hard to get any interest in it

... And the number of people that care about it continues to tend to zero. The issue with the RLWC is that given Australia's dominance, the question is whether or not they'll win by 50 all the way through. You can't handicap them but until it gets more competitive, it's hard to get any interest in it

Yeah.

Even when NZ or England get close, they still seem to win, 95% of the time.

Kinda odd when they do the club challenge, the English clubs do a lot better than at international level.

Back