Rumor: Eddie Cummings and DDS fall out

damn i hope not i planned to go to nyc in a few months to try to get a private with eddie and train with them god i hate fall outs in this sport

The Victory Belt books do not SELL for that much. They are LISTED at that much. And it is more or less because of an algorithm that dedicated Amazon sellers use.

The prices for Drill to win (Galvao) are insane.

You have to look at actual transaction prices, not list prices. Especially when you're trying to value a very illiquid commodity like an out of print martial arts book.

If you were to look inside the stock market on any particular day, you would see tons of people willing to sell stock for extremely high prices. There are also tons of people willing to buy stock for extremely low prices.

The stock isn't valued at those amounts though because it doesn't transact that those offered prices. The market valuation is what things are actually transacting for.

It'd be interesting to see the actual transaction prices. I highly doubt they are $300 or whatever though.

I have both the Galvao and Marcelo books. Any offers?

I think if you could afford to buy instructional DVDs you should do it. I'm therozing that such videos could be worth a lot money some day in hard disc form. I know the future is streaming like netflix. I remember almost buying Marcelo Garcia X guard book in 2011, which is now out of print, and goes for $200-$300, if not more, as time passes.

Is that how much my book is worth :D

I read the same about "Drill to Win" as well. I quickly went back to make sure it was there lol

The Victory Belt books do not SELL for that much. They are LISTED at that much. And it is more or less because of an algorithm that dedicated Amazon sellers use.

Way to burst a guy's bubble, Kenny

From what I have heard Eddie invented the system and had to resort to Imanari and Bodycomb DVDs. Then when eh started getting momentum with it Danaher shows up and takes credit for it. Danaher has also taken credit for the Darce choke, Williams guard and some other things he has been exposed to in all his years of grappling. I have heard conflicting reports as to who innovative he really is. Although Danaher tries hard to come across as a sage like intellectual, there are actually some discrepancies in the essays he posts on facebook. This is all hearsay mind you.

Then when eh started getting momentum with it Danaher shows up and takes credit for it. Danaher has also taken credit for the Darce choke, Williams guard and some other things he has been exposed to in all his years of grappling. I have heard conflicting reports as to who innovative he really is
He also takes credit for GSP.

GSP%20Jackson.gif

From what I have heard Eddie invented the system and had to resort to Imanari and Bodycomb DVDs. Then when eh started getting momentum with it Danaher shows up and takes credit for it. Danaher has also taken credit for the Darce choke, Williams guard and some other things he has been exposed to in all his years of grappling. I have heard conflicting reports as to who innovative he really is. Although Danaher tries hard to come across as a sage like intellectual, there are actually some discrepancies in the essays he posts on facebook. This is all hearsay mind you.

If this was the case, do you think Garry gordon Nicky tussa and other prominent member of the squad would’ve stick together for this long?

If this was the case, do you think Garry gordon Nicky tussa and other prominent member of the squad would’ve stick together for this long?

Good point, but you also have to consider that martial arts always produce cult like environments and people get suckered into training with frauds (not that Danaher is a fraud, he is a Renzo Black belt). We all know gyms started by white belts that attract loyal students despite being around the corner from a legit black belt (and charging the same price).

My point is that the dynamic of Jiujitsu gyms are often weird, toxic and cultish and it’s hard to know the truth without someone being there. As I said, what I said was hearsay at best.

Good point, but you also have to consider that martial arts always produce cult like environments and people get suckered into training with frauds (not that Danaher is a fraud, he is a Renzo Black belt). We all know gyms started by white belts that attract loyal students despite being around the corner from a legit black belt (and charging the same price).

My point is that the dynamic of Jiujitsu gyms are often weird, toxic and cultish and it’s hard to know the truth without someone being there. As I said, what I said was hearsay at best.

Yeah of course, but these guys weren’t your normal white belts being sucked deep into a cult... they all came to train just as pretty good grapplers already, may be with the exception of Nicky, I’m not sure. But I don’t see Gary Tonon or Tom the blasts lowering their heads to a guy who doesn’t deserve the credit. If they stick together under johns lead, there Must be a big influence of jhons in their game, other ways, they would just fuck off to their home base. Also, Cummins has been training for what, 6 years or so, the system has been out for about 3 to 4? Do you really see a guy with 2 years in the game developing such system? I’m sure Eddie probably added some to the system, or he has some twists that to make it work better for him, but that doesn’t mean he gets the credit for it, and I’m sure that’s why the whole rest of the squad sticks under jhons lead...

Leaving aside the bravado, it's a pretty reasonable take. Not recording seminars is standard, anyone who tried to do it on the sly after being specifically asked not to is a tool. Gordon probably should have just left.

No recording is very standard, some even institute no photos. I read somewhere that Rickson (I believe it was) doesn't even allow notes to be taken. So guys used to rush out right after and start scribbling down notes.

We had a random guy randomly show up halfway through a seminar once. After 10 mins the organiser asked what her was doing/why he was there. Conversation went along the lines of:

"This could be a once in a lifetime. I'm injured right now so I can't participate but I figured I'd come out and have a look"
"Bro, you gotta leave. Guys have paid money to be here and learn from the guy, while you can't drill the techniques, you're still learning them. Not fair on those guys"
"Fair enough" --> exit stage right

I think not releasing a DVD has driven up the demand for their seminars, privates, etc. They charge top dollar for those - they probably make as much doing 3-4 seminars as they would from a DVD, and they, frankly have to give away less information.

This guy understands Business.

Yeah of course, but these guys weren’t your normal white belts being sucked deep into a cult... they all came to train just as pretty good grapplers already, may be with the exception of Nicky, I’m not sure. But I don’t see Gary Tonon or Tom the blasts lowering their heads to a guy who doesn’t deserve the credit. If they stick together under johns lead, there Must be a big influence of jhons in their game, other ways, they would just fuck off to their home base. Also, Cummins has been training for what, 6 years or so, the system has been out for about 3 to 4? Do you really see a guy with 2 years in the game developing such system? I’m sure Eddie probably added some to the system, or he has some twists that to make it work better for him, but that doesn’t mean he gets the credit for it, and I’m sure that’s why the whole rest of the squad sticks under jhons lead...

All good points.

I think not releasing a DVD has driven up the demand for their seminars, privates, etc. They charge top dollar for those - they probably make as much doing 3-4 seminars as they would from a DVD, and they, frankly have to give away less information.

I know there are lessons 'taught' but i felt seminars was just a cash grab to meet and take pics with bjj/martial arts/mma celebrities.

It's basic economics too, when there is high demand but low supply, in this case, no videos, the supply side, seminar prices goes up.

I also think the 'give away less information' is elitist, secretive and potentially cultish. Remember when Bruce Lee wasn't supposed to teach to non-chinese or imagine if the Gracies only taught family members or only Brazilians!

But I think Danaher wants no DVDs because he wants his athletes to have a competitive advantage in competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back