Russia/Ukraine Megathread V5

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the clarification. I looked it up, we left tanks behind! Did we give any of their army I don’t know, are tanks the best weapon choice 9over I don’t know that either not an expert on their terrain but fact is: we trained, funded and armed their forces for two decades, taliban came out of a cave armed without modern weapons and took over.

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...s-bonanza-us-withdrawal-afghanistan?_amp=true

“For their effort, Taliban fighters reaped almost 2,000 Humvees and trucks; more than 50 armored fighting vehicles, including Mine-Resistant Ambush Protection vehicles, or MRAPs; scores of artillery and mortar pieces; more than a dozen aging but working helicopters and attack aircraft; a dozen tanks; seven Boeing-manufactured drones; and millions upon millions of bullets, according to a list compiled by the Oryx Blog, which tracks weapons used in conflicts.”

Leaving the Afghan army unequipped would have been political suicide and the collapse of the Afghan government would have been blamed on the U.S. defunding them.

But Russia is still actively attempting to move forces up, surround population areas and attack Ukrainian forces. Unless a general ceasefire is agreed to, which would absolutely require Russian forces to pull back some (significant) agreed distance so as not to be used or assumed to be used as a cover for maneuver, then Ukrainian forces have to continue to resist for their to be a position of negotiation.
It's called pressure bud.

thanks for the clarification. I looked it up, we left tanks behind! Did we give any of their army I don’t know, are tanks the best weapon choice 9over I don’t know that either not an expert on their terrain but fact is: we trained, funded and armed their forces for two decades, taliban came out of a cave armed without modern weapons and took over.

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...s-bonanza-us-withdrawal-afghanistan?_amp=true

“For their effort, Taliban fighters reaped almost 2,000 Humvees and trucks; more than 50 armored fighting vehicles, including Mine-Resistant Ambush Protection vehicles, or MRAPs; scores of artillery and mortar pieces; more than a dozen aging but working helicopters and attack aircraft; a dozen tanks; seven Boeing-manufactured drones; and millions upon millions of bullets, according to a list compiled by the Oryx Blog, which tracks weapons used in conflicts.”
Maybe trump shouldn’t have had 5000 taliban released from prison. That wasn’t smart.

No, his point is that a bunch of emotionally unstable people were reeeeing at me and calling me names and it's all because I was being a snide prick (am that), but he's leaving out the part where they do the same thing to pretty much everyone who disagrees with them whether they're "Condescending Pricks" or not. There are a ton of people in here I disagree with who I don't feel the need to lose my shit over, but with certain posters it seems like they have a lot of pent up aggression and anger and when they feel like they have an excuse to lash out, they jump at the opportunity and then justify it with "well you insulted my intelligence" or something like that. Weird.
The problem with you is that you not only proclaim yourself intelligent and emotional mature but you put down others who don't agree with you and then complain when people get pissed off with you. I really don't get what you are complaining about.....

Reactions: lsa
Any armored vehicles that may be considered tanks that the Afghan army lost were tanks that were already in the country from the Soviet era.

The US did not provide any modern tanks to the Afghan military and the Taliban certainly didn't capture any of them.
Wrong

Leaving the Afghan army unequipped would have been political suicide and the collapse of the Afghan government would have been blamed on the U.S. defunding them.
Good point often overlooked in these discussions.

The problem with you is that you not only proclaim yourself intelligent and emotional mature but you put down others who don't agree with you and then complain when people get pissed off with you. I really don't get what you are complaining about.....
Sorry, was it me tagging you in random posts "putting you down" or was that you?
I think you're being a bit delusional mate.

Currently we are insisting he continues a resistance that will lead to a massacre by arming them, funding them and cheerleading them to their death from a far. What’s the saddest part about this is: the people dying are democracy and territorial sovereignty valuing. With them dead, the population left alive to live in ukriane will more heavily be skewed in favor of Russias planted puppet government of the future.
For Putin to have the support of a majority of the population in Ukraine after this he will have to commit mass genocide and bar any refugees from returning. Any puppet regime he installs will face an insurgency.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but that remains to be seen.

Putin's move to forcibly gain international recognition for Donbas and Crimea seem to have been a bad play that won't work out for him in the end. Putin can't win this with all out destruction of Ukraine and the more damage he does the more ill will he'll garner.

I think the longer this lasts the more it will end up costing Russia. So I'll see your 2 cents and raise you 2 cents.
I've never thought "all out destruction" was ever his play.
I completely agree, I don't think Vlad wants anything to do with this situation anymore, but he's up a few pieces in this chess game atm and Zelensky would be wise to call it now instead of try to go even out the board.

this looks pretty real to me, and doesn't look to me like the pilot could survive the ejection at that angle and altitude. dont see the chute even deploy. :(

Both pilots are dead. Very old video. Flying on super-low altitudes is always a bargain.

What's TG?
If there are survivors then the truth will come out. Not really going to work for Azov unless they execute all the witnesses.

There is an opposite info on that one - some witnesses claim Azov actually freed ALL the civvies before blowing up the building (after they evacuated their HQ), others, like Ukrainian official source, said that people are alive in basement.

Telegram ap https://web.telegram.org/z/. There are thousands of channels with all the recent info from Ukraine by Ukrainian, Russian and LPR/DPR perspectives there. Like, the videos some of guys here are posting I already watched at least a day before.

For Putin to have the support of a majority of the population in Ukraine after this he will have to commit mass genocide and bar any refugees from returning. Any puppet regime he installs will face an insurgency.

Yeah. The only way he could hold any land beyond Donbas it by everyone leaving.

Do you make these distinctions with Islamists? I always find it funny how Westerners are willing to be extremely nuanced about their own extremists, but very general about islamic extremists.

But I do make the distinction of someone being "wannabe Islamist" and a "Islamist" absolutely.

"Wannabe Islamist" : A person who is pro-Islam but squirming hard when confronted about the violence of his beliefs. Benefits too much of the Western political and societal systems to call for total Sharia but champions for communitarianism to permit 'Islamism light' to fester in his own community. Shits on the West but wants to live in the West. A walking, talking controversy. High probability of being a delinquent.

"Islamist" : Proudly showcasing his contempt for the West and the unbelievers through calls for violence and direct action. Pro Sharia all the way, in law, economics and in all practice. Pro-Jihad. Shits on the West and wants his religion to either conquer and convert the West or face the consequences. Practices what he preaches, strict moral code. Some people around here would call an individual like this 'radicalized' but I'd say he's just a conservative follower of his faith.

No, his point is that a bunch of emotionally unstable people were reeeeing at me and calling me names and it's all because I was being a snide prick (am that), but he's leaving out the part where they do the same thing to pretty much everyone who disagrees with them whether they're "Condescending Pricks" or not. There are a ton of people in here I disagree with who I don't feel the need to lose my shit over, but with certain posters it seems like they have a lot of pent up aggression and anger and when they feel like they have an excuse to lash out, they jump at the opportunity and then justify it with "well you insulted my intelligence" or something like that. Weird.

no... you dont get the same treatment as everyone else. you get special treatment for being an especially snide prick (your language). i dont even always disagree with you but your arrogant presentation is repugnant and unpalatable and there is WAY too much of it.

If you believe the West propaganda which is now the only propaganda you can get because they’ve banned Russian sources then Ukraine is pounding them at every turn inflicting monstrous damage on their way to winning. So then why isn’t Zelinsky dictating the terms of surrender instead of begging for jets and missiles like a crack whore?
I’m more inclined to agree with Col Macgregors assessment of what’s happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back