Ryron Gracie reveals strategy used against Galvao

Ryron's performance was impressive. I did not expect him to be able to survive.

That being said, it's impressive the same way a guy who can break a baseball bat over his head is impressive. I can't do that either. I'm not sure what exactly that has to do with fighting though.

If Royce had used the same strategy in UFC 1, no one would be doing BJJ. It's just not fighting.

In fact, Shamrock used the exact same strategy against Royce in their UFC super fight. I don't remember any of the Gracies talking about how awesome and pure it was though. I remember them talking about how lame it was, how Shamrock had no other choice because Royce was so much better than him, how as soon as Shamrock had actually tried to fight Royce would have submitted him, etc. Then they made sure that no match like that would ever happen again on television because it was just embarrassing.

Weird how when your name is Gracie, it's pure Helio Gracie Jiu Jitsu. When your name is something else, it's stalling.

so by the rule, since no one tapped out.. it was a draw
but being dominated for 20 mins while you try your hardest not to get subbed.. that's just called getting man handled.

Did not like how Ryron gloated about it after the match. If he really wants to show case the self defense aspect of Gracie Jiu jitsu.. get in a cage.

Could I fight Andre Galvao for 20 minutes and not get submitted? I probably couldn't fight Galvao for 2 minutes and not get subbed. So in that sense it is impressive. But as Balto rightly noted, it's not really all that impressive in the BJJ sense. What Ryron did was no different than a going against the best guy at your gym and then bragging because he didn't sub you, even though you spent the whole round on the bottom. He did draw the fight, there's no contesting that, but I think the rule set was pretty artificial and doesn't really relate to a real fight in the way the Gracies like to represent. And ultimately, I just can't respect a guy who takes a fight with no intention of trying to win just to prove an irrelevant point about not being submitted.

Did not like how Ryron gloated about it after the match. If he really wants to show case the self defense aspect of Gracie Jiu jitsu.. get in a cage.

The thing is? Add in ground strikes and Galvao waxes Ryron in under a minute after it hits the ground if the exact same positions happen.

The claim that this was a "self-defense" style isn't legitimate. It was one guy (Ryron) exploiting the rules to get a draw against a world class competitor so he could twist the facts and make money off of it.

The thing is? Add in ground strikes and Galvao waxes Ryron in under a minute after it hits the ground if the exact same positions happen.

The claim that this was a "self-defense" style isn't legitimate. It was one guy (Ryron) exploiting the rules to get a draw against a world class competitor so he could twist the facts and make money off of it.

Nailed it.

I think everyone give Ryron props for not getting subed, but its annoying to see him PR spin it like a LI guy. Plus they're always contradicting themselves with their "we're about fighting in the street" attitude and now the "we're about keeping it playful" thing. Those philosophies are about as far away from each other as you can get. There's really nothing playful about street fight survival. Now, because they have a 'gracie philosophy to apply to any situation they just pick the one that fits. If they get road into the ground, have to stall matches, or say points don't matter to hide the fact that they got beat then they were being playful. If they see other competitors using positions that they don't like (50-50, deep half, even de la riva) oh man is that not street bjj. Its just a really transparent, self serving bias.

I still think it was great that Everyone in the world thought Galvao would literally run thru Gracie and when he couldn't and didn't, instead of saying "wow, pretty impressive of Gracie, maybe there is something to this"........... Everyone bashes and makes excuses.:rolleyes:

I mean this was Metamoris, it was supposed to be different and fun, interesting and thought provoking!!!!!

Yeah, it had the potential to be a very impressive display by Ryron, if he had handled it better. If he had been willing to admit that he was not able to defeat Galvao (and really, saying that you're not better than the best is literally the bare minimum of humility), the public would take his excuses a little more kindly. People who thought that Galvao would steamroll Gracie were entirely justified; the fact that Ryron was able to pull out an upset draw COULD have been a viable and legitimate basis for saying "hey, my methods are sound and have their place." And it's not like we can't find plenty of other examples of the exact same strategy being successfully deployed to compare results; hell, just look at his uncle's fights against Zulu. Instead, he couldn't even swallow enough pride to say, without qualification, "I didn't win."

tumblr_lrwewonn1y1qkznxe.gif

Yeah, and the Gracies predicted superiority over all martial arts...

Who really won the moral victory?

Kano?

Ok the moral victory for helio Gracie moral victory was that according to the story kimura predicted a sub after 3 minutes.
Not that it matters. Just explaining the background

Kimura's goal was actually to knock Helio unconscious with a throw within 3 minutes, which certainly would have been the case were it not for the fact that Helio had specially arranged for the fight to be fought on heavily padded mats . . . he only submitted him once he realized that he wouldn't be able to knock Helio unconscious due to the thickness of the padding.

Ryron's Strategy:

1. Survive (test defense against a World Champion caliber offense)
2. Conserve Energy (stay calm and relaxed as opponent expends energy)
3. Frustrate and Demoralize (mental battle)
3. Observe and Study opponent's game
4. Wait for opportunity to change momentum and going on offense (last 25% of match)
5. Attack and try for the submission when Andre is gassed and an opening is available.

RESULTS:

[SUBMISSION ATTEMPTS]

Ryron = 4 (5:46, 0:35, 0:27, 0:16)
Andre = 0

[DISENGAGEMENTS/RETREATS]

Ryron = 0
Andre = 8 (14:47, 6:49, 6:22, 5:26, 4:32, 2:59, 2:16, 1:22)

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/detailed-analysis-metamoris-ryron-vs-galvao-2245043/

Ryron's the best =D

Seriously though, why isn't he competing in this one? Would love to see him against Rodolfo or Buchecha or something... I mean... to see if he can do the same thing again. =D

Ryron has a new born daughter that's only like 3 weeks old. There is no way he would have been able to train for a fight in these situations.

Ryron's Strategy:

4. Wait for opportunity to change momentum and going on offense (last 25% of match)
5. Attack and try for the submission when Andre is gassed and an opening is available.

RESULTS:

[SUBMISSION ATTEMPTS]

Andre = 0

Ryron = 0

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/detailed-analysis-metamoris-ryron-vs-galvao-2245043/

Man... Ryron still got dominated. Plain and simple.

Ryron made that match so boring. You think people wanna see a guy laying on his back the entire match? I certainly don't. Try and escape, fight to a better position and really try to beat the guy.

Don't just try to survive. It's a competition, try to win or don't compete at all. Keep the whole "survive" mentality for an actual street confrontation, not an athletic competition where the object is to WIN.

There's no shame in getting subbed by one of the best in the world.

Ryron's Strategy:

RESULTS:

[SUBMISSION ATTEMPTS]

Andre = 0

Ryron = 0

The absolute propaganda in this post is hilarious and incredibly disrespectful to Galvao at the same time.

We're giving credit to half ass submission attempts? We're also calling standing to reset to initiate a guard pass "retreating"?

I have no respect for this type of straight up dishonesty.

Wait, everyone else is making excuses?

There isn't a single person who thinks Ryron surviving against Galvao for 20 minutes isn't impressive. Our problem is that he got his ass handed to him under his own rules and refuses to simply admit it. Instead he uses excuses like, "I kept it playful!". No, you got dominated for 20 minutes. You thought you'd be able to keep Galvao at bay long enough for him to gas, then submit him. You couldn't do it. At least admit it like a man with some honor.

i paid for this and this was a shit match. andre tried to do a fun sub only tournament. you can one WIN via submission, everything else is a loss. If every match was like this, no one would buy part 2. Not a good way to get people to pay to watch grappling.

can we all agree that it is MUCH easier to survive against a superior opponent if ALL you do is play defense. I can defend and hold and stall very well against someone that could house me if i just curl up into an assball and defend (don't take assball literally). it is a lot easier to get caught if you are trying to improve your position.

as far as saying "well, this is what you got to do in a real fight is not get submitted". sorry, but in a real fight if someone is on top of you for that long you are going to get ground and pounded out.

keep it playful is just stupid.

let's just tell the truth. Ryron could not check his ego at the door and just go out in a SUB ONLY event and try to get a sub. Andre did treat it as sub only and gassed out, but was still in ZERO danger. so yeah ryron, thanks for the most boring match at metamoris 1 against one of the most exciting competitors today. you can count the number of boring galvao matches on one hand.

let's all tell the truth, if this was a vale tudo match ryron would have been mauled

But it wasn't a vale tudo match and there weren't any points.

it was pretty obvious since ever that ryron was in for the draw or miracle sub, and galvao was just there for the paycheck...

Back