• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

You know what I would do? I'd smoke at 250 for like an hour, then sous vide it up to 24 hours, then chill and smoke again until it hits temp (137ish?) because it's leaner. You'll get tons of smoke and still a juicy piece of meat. That is if you have that time available.
I don't have a sous vide machine, now.

I don't have a sous vide machine, now.

Well that removes the sous vide option!

It's fun to have one in your kitchen arsenal. SV carrots are the bomb.

Last edited:
Well lamb ribs are not so great. Might have been just the ones I got but it was almost pure fat. Came out great and a nice flavor for the bit of meat their was.

Best way to describe them is a toothpick sized bit of meat with all fat around it.

More pissed that I wasted the last of my grape vines on it than the meal it self lol. In a week or two ill have more so no big deal.

Ill be smoking the last of the deer meat (back straps) I have left this weekend.

Well lamb ribs are not so great. Might have been just the ones I got but it was almost pure fat. Came out great and a nice flavor for the bit of meat their was.

Best way to describe them is a toothpick sized bit of meat with all fat around it.

More pissed that I wasted the last of my grape vines on it than the meal it self lol. In a week or two ill have more so no big deal.

Earlier this year I split a whole pig with a buddy, weighed about 220 lbs. It was "organic", and young, which meant lean. I can't even smoke the ribs. I took the pork belly out the other day to use it and it was like 90% fat, little tiny slivers of meat. I threw it out.

The pork loins and chops were good though. Otherwise I was kinda mad about it.

I had leftover brisket from my BBQ takeover on Wednesday so I made brisket hash and eggs this morning. Holy crap so good. I froze more for doing this again later.

For those of you who use Traeger Pellets this might be interesting.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...ction-says-wood-pellets-contain-flavored-oil/

Essentially people are claiming that Traeger pellets are being advertised as a certain species of wood, but instead are nothing more than oak / alder which have been dressed with flavored oils.
This is true, oil is being added. You might as well take up Vaping.
I knew about it few years back. I have only bought one bag of Traeger pellets. I always buy Bear Mountain brand.
https://bearmountainbbq.com/

This is true, oil is being added. You might as well take up Vaping.
I knew about it few years back. I have only bought one bag of Traeger pellets. I always buy Bear Mountain brand.
https://bearmountainbbq.com/

I own a Pit Boss. Looks like I'll try to buy their brand instead. Costco has Traeger 33lb competition bags for $20, which is a crazy deal. I'm sad about that now.

I own a Pit Boss. Looks like I'll try to buy their brand instead. Costco has Traeger 33lb competition bags for $20, which is a crazy deal. I'm sad about that now.

This is just alleged at this point, but for years I have heard that Traeger uses flavored oils in their pellets. The reality is that if you like their pellets who cares, right? If you're getting the flavor and aroma you like then why bother switching?

So I think my Pit Boss pellet grill has finally crapped out on me. I think the auger mechanism has broken or something because it stopped feeding pellets and smoke was starting to come out of the pellet holder. I going to take it apart and see if it is something that can be easily fixed, but after sitting outside for 24/7 for three years I wouldn't be surprised if it was toast.

Do any of you have any opinions on other brands of pellet grills? The Pit Boss did everything I wanted it to, but I'm wondering if other brands have better build quality or features. The only must have is a way to dump out pellets from the pellet box when the grill isn't going to be used for a while.

So I think my Pit Boss pellet grill has finally crapped out on me. I think the auger mechanism has broken or something because it stopped feeding pellets and smoke was starting to come out of the pellet holder. I going to take it apart and see if it is something that can be easily fixed, but after sitting outside for 24/7 for three years I wouldn't be surprised if it was toast.

Do any of you have any opinions on other brands of pellet grills? The Pit Boss did everything I wanted it to, but I'm wondering if other brands have better build quality or features. The only must have is a way to dump out pellets from the pellet box when the grill isn't going to be used for a while.

There's not a ton of pellet cookers out there with a hopper dump, but the Grilla Grills Silverbac (new model) has one and it's a solid piece of equipment.
https://store.grillagrills.com/products/silverbac-b-series

The "Pro" model has a bunch of minor upgrades, but the biggest is a pellet dump. You can go with the "Pro-Alpha" which has a PID controller as well as the original Grilla Grills controller. The PID will keep the temp pretty much dead on with zero deviation, while the original controller has a built in temperature swing which does allow for a minimal amount of smoldering with the pellets. In theory the light amount of smoldering should give off a heavier smoke flavor, but a lot of that depends on the type / quality of pellets which you're using.

I had to fix a pit boss, and the only thing that was wrong was that the igniter slipped back and wasn't sitting in the pan 1/4"-1/2" like it should have been. It was a 5 minute fix.

If the auger isn't feeding pellets, you could have "cement" pellets in there, blocking everything. It happens when you leave it out there uncovered. You can take apart the mechanism and use a long drill bit to clean it out.

F415BF79-5B2C-4089-9261-47C14524F7FF.jpeg 5333FB8D-F9E5-460E-9E0C-FB3EA32AE680.jpeg 5FF64A9D-542A-4516-8FE0-6B9684FECF4D.jpeg

Tomahawk ribeye with 12 fires tannat red wine

Did the reverse wear strategy with simple ingredients

salt
Pepper
Rosemary
Fresh garlic

and a sear and crust Texas secret dust

Smoked it at 300 degrees for a good hour

seared for a good 3 minutes a side while dripping olive oil butter wah garlic and rosemary mega mixture

had to toss in 450 degrees oven topped with spoonful of unsalted butter to tighten it up and finish the core so it wasn’t too raw

this bastard was mega thick and never mind doing a little final work in oven. Always better than overcooked. No going backwards

was amazing. Secret add on for extra tender is soaking steak in a healthy rub of sour cream for a few hours.
Didn’t have time tonight but trust me it works

Last edited:
View attachment 657333 View attachment 657335 View attachment 657337

salt
Pepper
Rosemary
Fresh garlic

seared for a good 3 minutes a side while drilling olive oil butter wah garlic and rosemary mega mixture

had to toss in 450 degrees oven topped with spoonful of unsalted butter to tighten it up and finish the core so it wasn’t too raw

this bastard was mega thick and never mind doing a little final work in oven. Always better than overcooked. No going backwards

was amazing. Secret add on for extra tender is soaking steak in a healthy rub of sour cream for a few hours.

Looks awesome.

Let me get this straight sour cream like how they do tandoori chicken with greek yogurt? Never heard of such a thing for beef.

View attachment 657333 View attachment 657335 View attachment 657337

salt
Pepper
Rosemary
Fresh garlic

seared for a good 3 minutes a side while drilling olive oil butter wah garlic and rosemary mega mixture

Looks great even if you had a ton of steps LOL

Looks awesome.

Let me get this straight sour cream like how they do tandoori chicken with greek yogurt? Never heard of such a thing for beef.

The acid can tenderize a bit of the outside of the steak.

I give it a healthy layer all around for a good 2-3 hours in a zip log back sealed tight on a thick ass steak like the one I posted and it is night day when it comes to tender.

I don’t like gimmicks but this works. You just have to make sure you rinse it off in really cold water

I give it a healthy layer all around for a good 2-3 hours in a zip log back sealed tight on a thick ass steak like the one I posted and it is night day when it comes to tender.

I don’t like gimmicks but this works. You just have to make sure you rinse it off in really cold water

Ill give it a shot the next time I do a flinstone sized steak.

I have done the "poor mans aged beef" technique. Take a steak and add a generous amount of large grain salt to it and let it sit for a 2-3 hrs. That was not salty at all even though it had a lot of salt on it. It came off the grill almost fork tender yet medium rare.

Back