SBBC: What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KI0wnD_business_logo.png

Faust is going to be a good lawyer, imo.

He has the mind for it. Also has a real edge.

Brutally righteous combo for the jerb

I can see faust losing his cool if the judge doesn’t rule in his favor. Hopefully he doesn’t charge the podium.

Didnt think of that.

We should also stipulate that @faustian shouldnt be able to listen to the Scorpion King soundtrack before entering court:

R-2077828-1262714076.jpeg.jpg

The level of Faust Jams contained on one CD would literally make him Stone Cold Stunner the bailiff

Remember that bald guy from Night Court? He never would have let anything like that happen.

In music you hear people say "moving keys" in reference to cocaine. If I ever become a car salesman and someone asks how the job is going I will say "oh just movin keys and stackin g's". Car keys.

In music you hear people say "moving keys" in reference to cocaine. If I ever become a car salesman and someone asks how the job is going I will say "oh just movin keys and stackin g's". Car keys.

Keys refers to kilos, doesn’t have to be cocaine. Could be any drug usually sold by weight

Good luck, bro. 1L was the most stressful time of my life.

I genuinely love the material and actually enjoy the Socratic trolling by professors and the opportunity to combat them with rhetoric. 4/5 of my professors graduated with honors from Harvard Law so to me it's like an opportunity to play 1on1 vs Dwyane Wad or Michael Jordan. Yes I'm brutally outmatched but scoring even a single point would make me a boss and it's guaranteed to be an invaluable learning experience. (E.g. just on Mon my con law prof was talking about how the Constitution in its history hasn't been interpreted as a democratic charter and it likely was never intended to be, how Marshall asserted that it should be considered strictly as a legal document for judges and judges alone to decipher in order to determine what the law is, "the secret language of the law" invisible to the common man -- after all, it's not like the Constitution was voted on by the colonists or even made available to them for perusal. My prof was making the argument that this is likely the best and most efficient application of law and governance. I then put my hand up and hit him with the quote in my sig. pwnt)

Really the only significant stressor for me has been time management (but this is getting better, as you'll read below). Sometimes it feels like there's simply not enough time in the day to do what I need and want to do. Anyone who's paid attention to my posting patterns on here has probably realized by now that I literally sleep about 4-5 hours/night max. The 2 weeks prior to last week's spring break I was getting about 2-3 hours/night max after having had missed the 2 weeks of classes before that while bedridden into a living death with the superflu and eye-watering strep throat. Once finally recovered I met with the Dean of Student Affairs to discuss my standing and she literally told me "Faust, in 20+ years of doing this I've never seen a professor allow a student to continue the semester after missing this much class time in such a short span. It's not an issue of whether the absences were excused or unexcused, you were legitimately sick and it's not your fault, but it's simply a practical matter that you're extremely far behind in all your courses and you're gonna be desperately trying to catch up the rest of the semester. It's just not realistic. But since you want to attempt this, I will ask your professors and convey your intentions and your confidence that you can do this, but I wouldn't expect them to be willing to keep you in class. So I will contact them and hopefully get a decision from all of them by Friday, but in the meantime we should probably be looking at withdraw and leave of absence options."

Well apparently there's a first time for everything cause within 24 hrs all 5 of my professors responded with their decision to retain me. Which was awesome to hear, but I didn't have much time to celebrate as quite the gauntlet had now been thrown down. Obviously most law course material builds upon itself throughout the semester, but I have 4 this term (con law, criminal procedure, property, legal writing 2) that take this concept to another level. So I was torn between "ok do I focus day to day on our current readings (even tho much of it will make little sense to me) and then go back and make up the missed material on weekends and hopefully cover it all by finals, or do I start first with the missed material and just work my way to current asap (meanwhile being clueless in class on the current material) and hope to get current by finals?" I had 9 weeks left at that point until finals

I decided to do neither, and instead spent the next 2 weeks devoting literally 16-18 hrs/day on law school material inside and outside the classroom. I was covering both the missed and current material every day. My routine for those weeks:

School days
4:30 am -- wake up, shit, shower, make a sandwich to go
5:00 am -- leave for campus
5:45 am -- arrive on campus, study in student lounge until library opens
7:00 am -- migrate to library, print out notes for first class (no laptop policy lol)
8:00 am -- first class
9:30 am -- back to library
11:00 am -- second class (laptop allowed)
12:30 pm -- back to library, print out notes for third class
3:30 pm -- third class
5:30 pm -- back to library
12:00 am -- library closes, head home
12:45 am -- get home, exhale for a second
1:00 am -- wrap up checklist of the day's material
1:30 am -- map out a study strategy and checklist for tomorrow
2:00 am -- take Trazodone
2:15 am -- hopefully be asleep

Lunch and dinner every day consisted entirely of Met-Rx bars consumed in the library lol

Then on the weekends I'd just study from the moment I woke up (~7am) to the moment I went to bed (~2am). I'd take occasional breaks to shitpost on sherdog or smoke cigarettes or run an errand that couldn't be put off

So by spring break I was officially caught up. And my professors know it too because I've been styling on the entire classroom all week. Nothing better than when some derp student gets called on, has zero clue acting like it's some impossible conundrum, then you raise your hand and brutally nail it lmao. It's amazing how relaxed this week is after that 2 week experience. It was hell but I think it's given me valuable perspective, not to mention it forced me out of desperation to come up with a hyper-efficient study/brief/outline methodology that I'll now have forever (it's why I'm able to sit here now and write this novel lol).

I do believe those 2 weeks will prove to be the hardest 2 weeks I'll ever experience in law school

Did you get an interesting moot court topic?

Neh our moot court program is student-run and not required. Basically in your 2nd year you can apply if you've "demonstrated excellence in written and oral advocacy" during 1L. If your application is accepted you then enter a 3-day competition where you write briefs then make oral arguments before a panel of sitting federal judges. The competitors who finish in the top 25 are then accepted into the moot court program

It's definitely something I'm very interested in. As I'm sure you know it's pretty much impossible to not find good work instantly out of school if you've proven promise of becoming an A-level trial attorney

What's really intriguing is the International Moot Court Program. You literally get to travel the world competing in international moot court competitions. Check this shit out:

In the International Moot Court Program, students represent the University of Miami School of Law in various legal competitions around the world while obtaining course credit. The program is comprised of both a workshop and participation in one international moot court competition

What is an international moot court competition?
These are interschool competitions that take place across the globe. In front of a mock International Tribunal, students act as counselors and advocate the different sides of a case based on a problem written by an organization or school. The students analyze the problem, identify the legal issues, research the law, write the briefs and orally present it to the moot court. In essence, the students learn how to litigate a case in front of an international tribunal doing what an attorney does in real life.
https://www.law.miami.edu/academics/international-moot-court-program

Last edited:
Aaron hernandez couldve used fausts brutal besmirching defense

I skimmed through it. Interesting was what came to mind. I think law school would be fun. Do I wanna be a lawyer? Hell no. But it would be fun to learn all that shit.

smh, you have to be some kind of weird mental fuck to think that shit could be 'fun' to learn.
no offense, frausto.
I got accepted to Hastings in SF years ago after scoring high on the LSAT, but not as high as my buddy Paul who went on to graduate dean's list at Boalt in Berserkley, currently senior partner at MOFO (Morrison and Forrester) in the city.
the shit is beyond tedious with tons of archaic innuendo and subterfuge.
opted for the street with non stop action and curbside justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back